Videos: Show me MALE vocals

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Always liked this song.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Ewen Carruthers 'The Amber Room' Live through system much better than vid but reasonable facsimile. TJ Mesh 300b line driver with Pass inspired Defisit VFET amp as current driver works well for a nice combination of fire, velvet and lushness through the Wisdom/BG 75 inch ribbons:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ewen Carruthers 'The Amber Room' Live through system much better than vid but reasonable facsimile. TJ Mesh 300b line driver with Pass inspired Defisit VFET amp as current driver works well for a nice combination of fire, velvet and lushness through the Wisdom/BG 75 inch ribbons:
You need to change the video setting to public

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Think I fixed it. I'm a cursed Luddite.

• Haha
Reactions: PeterA

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Ah yes Ewen C--When TimeTurns Around --nice easy listening --if you like that maybe give David Roth -More Pearls a whirl;)

BruceD

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I have some Roth, too a bit sappy but pleasant. Kind of like male 'girl with guitar', not as bad as 'Peter, Paul and Mary' stuff.

This one from Ewen is kind of unusual because he's singing this folksy trill about Nicholas and Alexandra while they are waiting for the bolsheviks to come execute them.

Reactions: BruceD

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
crank it

Reactions: SlapEcho

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I rather like the Sadurni Accoustics horns with their ‘Flash Gordon’ esk styling.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

Yup, it's kid alright. Gotta' crank it.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Stehno, why does everything have to be played back at such a loud volume? Is it just the type of pop music?
Good question, Peter. Though I prefer to consider my preferred listening volumes near or at live performance volume levels as opposed to "such a loud volume".

I can think of a number of reasons....

- We're talking high fidelity, high-end audio, etc, and therefore it's my goal to assimilate all aspects of a live performance during playback presentations. And perhaps the most critical aspect is similar playback volume levels.

- When playback listening volumes levels are less than live performance levels, music info start disappearing rather quickly including suttle nuances. But especially the lowest of what I perceive to be all low-level detail which includes the volumes (and volumes) of ambient information embedded in most any given recording. I consider the ambient info to be all so importand as that's where we find much of the so-called magic or believability. For example, a full-scale symphony can include the smallest of instruments like the light ting of a small triangle. Though barely heard during the live performance, it's still heard at live performance volume levels so if one were to lower the playback volume, this light note from the triangle would be among the first of notes to head toward inaudibility. Other nuances would as well and of course the volumes of ambient info would be leading the way.

- As far as I know, music is intended to be listened to near or at live performance volume levels.

- Listening to playback music near or at live performance volume levels is an excellent testimony to the maturity of a playback system as few are able to acocmplish this. Especially with inferior recordings. Sure, anybody can crank their system up but the real test is how fast people want to leave the room due to ear fatigue, etc. IME, it is quite rare for a playback system to maintain a high level of musicality at or near live performance volume levels and with absolutely minimized distortions.

- When a playback system can maintain a high-level of musicality with absolutely minimized distortions near/at live performance volume levels, the music becomes far more engaging and flat out more enjoyable.

Anyway, those are a few reasons. As you know, many enthusiasts consider in-room videos as inferior quality so they refuse to give such videos any credence whatsover. But what I find comical is many of those same who poo-poo in-room videos as inferior will listen for hours to their playback presentations at significantly lower than live performance volume levels. As a result, what they are really hearing is no different and probably significantly lower fidelity than a well-recorded in-room video they've already rejected outright.

But again, we're talking high fidelity and the closer the volume level approaches zero or silence, the more every last playbck system will begin to sound like an AM transistor radio. Bar none.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

I've really grown to appreciate Neil Diamond. Quite a dynamic voice. Please give 'em some volume

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

Well, somebody's gotta' put these out there.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

Gotta' crank it.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ali Toure, hORNs universum

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing