USB DACs, HD Tracks, and the Oppo105

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Like most of us here, I've been at this for some time. Built my first system from parts found in the trash, literally, before hitting my teens. My first purchase (with money I earned by myself) was a turntable. Throughout that time, a few pieces served as game changers on my life by redefining the scope of audio goodness, if you will. It's a short list that includes the humble Boston Acoustics A40 speakers, Ayre K-1 preamp, the original Lyra Lydian cartridge, and the Dunlavy SC-IV. The Oppo 105 now joins that list. For the first time, ever, I'm playing more digital than analog. The deck sounds clean and clear, like opening a window and looking out into the world without a barrier. I'm smitten. Like I said in the first post, would not have believed it if I hadn't heard it for myself.

Edit: I also want to mention a few of the machine's drawbacks. Some of its features are extremely difficult to utilize without a monitor, like paying files from a HDD. It's not a problem in my system, as I have a big plasma sitting behind the speakers, but for a pure audio rig there may be better options. Too, operationally, the deck is a bit glitchy; it likes to be reset ever so often. It's not as bad as our Sony BD, which loses its mind at variable intervals - sometimes a minute or two, sometimes days. The 105 is much more robust. Some of this, especially the glitches, would bother me IF the thing cost more. Given its $1200 price, its sound quality, and its almost unmatched versatility, I can unplug it once in a while and not cry about it.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing