USB DACs, HD Tracks, and the Oppo105

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
This is not a review. Truth be told, I'm not capable of writing a piece congruent with the standards of the forum, so please take the below as some quick impressions of the gear I've had in my system over the last few weeks:

Schiit Modi - $100 direct, very handsome cosmetics and very good external build quality. It wouldn't look out of place in a serious system. Its overall sonic presentation is a bit veiled and congested. While its tonal balance is slightly sweet, the unit gets leaner and leaner below ~500Hz. Operationally, the Modi locks on and doesn't let go. Never a glitch. Easy to use, does what it claims, but not recommended for hi-fi.

HRT Music Streamer II - $170 MSRP (I paid $140 shipped). At least a grade above the Schiit, sonically: more air, more articulation and definition, less congestion, still no real bass. Operationally it loses lock with my Win8 laptop, as the computer goes to sleep, having to be awakened by reinserting the plug into the USB port. Every time. I sent it back.

Enter the USB DAC in the Oppo105. Let me start out by saying that if someone were to tell me that I'd be getting this sort of sound from 320Kbps files beamed via Spotify, I simply would not have believe it. No joke, night and day difference, compared to the other DACs. Plainly put, the Oppo is the best sounding piece of digital gear I've ever heard in my system: CD, SACD, USB DAC. Mind you, this is the only piece of digital great of this quality that I've had in quite a while, so my point of reference isn't terribly current. That being said, playing CDs, the Oppo delivers a level of resolution and clarity, vivid dynamic contrasts coupled with a lack of grain that are unprecedented, digital-wise, IMHE. I'm completely blown away. Never said that about a CDP before. Ever. Never heard one like this, either.

Some may have noticed that I didn't list a CDP as a part of my system, until now. Frankly, even though I have +1500 of these things and keep getting more, I never fully warmed up to the sound of the silver platter. All that has changed to a large degree. Though I still prefer analog, by quite a wide margin, this machine makes listening to CDs into an enjoyable experience. The above being said, the Oppo my not be for everyone. Totally, it sounds a bit lean and incisive. Fans of harmonic richness, as a staple, should look elsewhere.

FWIW, I compared the 105 to a Marantz cd5004 - same cables, etc. The difference isn't as drastic as with the two inexpensive DACs, but easily perceived after the first few notes. The first thing that jumped out at me was the clarity. I'm a nut for clarity and the Oppo got me where I live. The dynamics were second ...then ...everything else followed. Overall, the Oppo105 is one of me most impressive components of any kind that I've heard. It doesn't have that metallic sheen that seem to accompany the CD. I don't mean that it sounds rolled off or that it somehow masks what I thought was inevitable. No. It's the exact opposite. It retrieves the music and leaves the gunk behind. This effect is not achieved by coloring the presentation. Let me say again that all this is easily audible. Not just in an audiophile sense.

HD Tracks - As The Oppo can actually play these things, I downloaded a sampler from the site. This was the first time I heard high-erz files in my own system. While the musical selection didn't exactly raise my blood pressure, the sound could not be denied. It was incredible. I ordered a HDD just for this purpose, along with storing some of the extra downloadable bits included with new LPs. My first purchase will be Songs in the key of life.

System relevant to this:
Oppo105
Kress S300i
Dunlavy SCIV (setup as per the designer)
Audio Art IC-3 balanced
Dunlavy speaker cable
DIY (XLO) cords
Big room treated with GIK and ATS acoustic products.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
As someone who does most of the hi-rez transfers for HDtracks, I'd suggest "Original Musiquarium"

Kippyy

Feb 20, 2011
San Ramon, CA
As someone who does most of the hi-rez transfers for HDtracks, I'd suggest "Original Musiquarium"

This Stevie album sounds great in hi-res!

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS

Bruce, thank you very much for the recommendation. Would you mind terribly if I shot you a PM with one or two title-specific questions, and perhaps a reach for a couple more suggestions that match my tastes?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce, thank you very much for the recommendation. Would you mind terribly if I shot you a PM with one or two title-specific questions, and perhaps a reach for a couple more suggestions that match my tastes?

Not a problem...

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Among those who would be called "objectivists," the Oppos enjoy a very good reputation and the Schits have been found to be problematic. Thanks for the report.

Tim

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The Oppo uses the ESS Saber 9018 DAC chips, which are pretty well thought of. From what I understand, it cannot play files from a computer/music player software setup, only from a USB stick... Correct?

Lee

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The Oppo uses the ESS Saber 9018 DAC chips, which are pretty well thought of. From what I understand, it cannot play files from a computer/music player software setup, only from a USB stick... Correct?

Lee

Incorrect. You can use the Oppo as a streamer, feeding it music files over the network via Ethernet. The streaming library can be controlled using Jriver, configured as DLNA server. This will allow you to use Jremote. Even without this, you can control the library sitting on any DLNA server on the network using the (clumsy) Oppo interface, which means you need to have your screen on and navigate with the IR remote control.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I concur wholeheartedly with Saffer's point of view regarding the new Oppo 105. I took my105 to another level with the Modwright tube mod and tube rolling. I also down loaded all my cd's in 24/96 to my MacBook Pro and play them using my WyWires usb cable. :cool:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Incorrect. You can use the Oppo as a streamer, feeding it music files over the network via Ethernet. The streaming library can be controlled using Jriver, configured as DLNA server. This will allow you to use Jremote. Even without this, you can control the library sitting on any DLNA server on the network using the (clumsy) Oppo interface, which means you need to have your screen on and navigate with the IR remote control.

I concur wholeheartedly with Saffer's point of view regarding the new Oppo 105. I took my105 to another level with the Modwright tube mod and tube rolling. I also down loaded all my cd's in 24/96 to my MacBook Pro and play them using my WyWires usb cable. :cool:

Edorr, that is above my competence with digital manipulation at the present time.

Jim, do you use a music player software from your MacBook directly into the Oppo via USB?

Perhaps the new 105 offers this flexibility and it was the 95 that couldn't do it.

Lee

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
A question for other 105 owners: Will the unit decode 192 files via its USB input? I'm trying to decide how to orient myself in HDtracks.

cooljazz

Mar 21, 2012
TN
I've played around with streaming to my Oppo 105 by OP. Both by commanding it from the Oppo RC and watching on a monitor or alternatively by commanding JRiver directly with my smart phone running an app.

Either way, the computer can be elsewhere in the house and the Oppo becomes the DAC being fed by IP.

CoolJazz

cooljazz

Mar 21, 2012
TN
A question for other 105 owners: Will the unit decode 192 files via its USB input? I'm trying to decide how to orient myself in HDtracks.
I"ve done next to nothing with a USB stick so I can't directly relate personal experience on that specific question. But I don't think it's any problem to do 192 by USB.

I have burned to DVD high rez, even putting back to back different speed material which it didn't care about. Because I'm old fashion and like to play from disc, I've burned every high rez I've gotten and prefer to set down and play an "album". That way I focus on the music and not on everything but the performance. For a $50 bill on Cirlinca software, you can burn away and not have risk of a single drive crash being extremely costly!

Another thing I've not played with but is available is that the Oppo comes with a USB wireless adapter so you could also stream to it with RF and not even bother with that USB storage if that appeals.

A number of ways to setup and several ways you can play music any time you set down to listen.

CoolJazz

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Edorr, that is above my competence with digital manipulation at the present time.

Jim, do you use a music player software from your MacBook directly into the Oppo via USB?

Perhaps the new 105 offers this flexibility and it was the 95 that couldn't do it.

Lee

I use Audirvana in my MBP to my 105 via usb.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Lee

You're missing out big time. Having to have the screen on and use IR remote totally sucks compared to using JRemote over the network. Full disclose: I am not doing this myself yet, but verified it can be done before buying an Oppo103 based player. Without this capability I would not buy the machine.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Downloaded? 44.1/16 CD's to 24/96??:confused:

Clarify: I download my cd's to my MAcBook Pro in 44.1/16 and play them through Audirvana in 24/96.;)

edit: also 24/192 :)

Last edited:

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
To be honest, I hadn't considered streaming from my desktop. I built the machine a few years ago with a relatively small HDD; enough for the OS and some basic applications. I'll likely add another HDD for music backup, if I'm actually going to pay real money for files, and it looks like I will. The drive I bought for the system is a WD 2.5" 2TB portable powered from its USB port. If all goes well, I'll upgrade the storage in the main machine, as I mentioned. Then, we'll see about streaming. If it's doable, why not?

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I've downloaded eight titles from HDtracks. The very first downloads I ever paid for. The quality varies, as it would with the numerous factors affecting the sound of the music: the good is really good, the bad is better than I expected. The better sounding titles, however, cannot be mistaken for analog. I've come to the conclusion that digital sounds different no matter what. It's just something I have to either live with and move on, or stay where I've been. I plan on buying more titles. No a whole lot more, only because there isn't that much I'm interested in, musically. I want new music. I would have downloaded the Alt-J, and still may, but I have the LP. Same with many other titles. Most disappointingly is the number of titles in 44.1/16. Not that I care on an internet level, if you will, but many of those I'd actually buy if they were high-rez. All this said, I wish the concept the best; clearly, I'm an official participant.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing