UPDATE ON RRV ie RIGHT ROOM VOLUME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
As I said I listen at realistic levels and that for me is a different gain control for large symphonic vs a solo singer. The difference in gain however rarely varies by more than 2 clicks up or down from my usual gain control position
I see that and respectfully you’re missing out. I listen at the correct level ( and boy is it realistic) and my EXTENSIVE evaluations convince me there is just one setting for RRV. Any changes beyond YOUR RRV ie when you alter the volume, can have a palpable effect on the sound and your enjoyment thereof. Even I’m astonished at how minute changes to the RRV can have. Spot on and it’s smiles all round 24/7

wil

Jul 22, 2015
i’m also curious about the loudness level at the listening seat measured in dBA. I’m sure it likely varies by room size and room characteristic.
Also by what device it’s measured with.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
As I said I listen at realistic levels and that for me is a different gain control for large symphonic vs a solo singer. The difference in gain however rarely varies by more than 2 clicks up or down from my usual gain control position

Steve, could you tell me what those realistic levels are in decibels at your listening seat for two or three specific recordings that I might have with different scale music, say solo instrument versus jazz trio versus symphony? Thank you

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I have posted several times about the importance of repetitive, consistent volume levels for EACH recording. I record the volume level for each CD (on a sticky inside the case) for the optimum listening experience. My CJ pre is set at 0.7db for each numeric value. Settings range from 35 to 65.

I cannot imagine "winging it" for each CD that I listen to on numerous occasions and attempt to recreate the ideal volume again and again. I cannot imagine having a pre without a numerical volume display and a remote that allows me to change that volume level from my listening chair. Then again, maybe I am lazy.

Last edited:

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
In which case I can’t help anymore Steve. .

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Steve, could you tell me what those realistic levels are in decibels at your listening seat for two or three specific recordings that I might have with different scale music, say solo instrument versus jazz trio versus symphony? Thank you
Ditto. I’d love to compare. Hope I have the same lps.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have posted several times about the importance of consistent volume levels for EACH recording. I record the volume level for each CD (on a sticky inside the case) for the optimum listening experience. My CJ pre is set at 0.7db for each numeric value. Settings range from 35 to 65.

I cannot imagine "winging it" for each CD that I listen to on numerous occasions and attempt to recreate the ideal volume again and again. I cannot imagine having a pre without a numerical volume display and a remote that allows me to change that volume level from my listening chair. Then again, maybe I am lazy.
Totally agree. You have a defined volume for Each CD rather than one volume for all CD’s

i contend that RRV differs with the genre of the recording and would so state that the ones or two clicks on my gain control locks in perfectly so I only go up or down in the gain control 1-2 clicks and that is my RRV IMO there is a different RRV for each recording.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Since all records or songs aren't recorded at the same level it is impossible to get the same output level at only one volume setting.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
You are free to provide the same information for the rest of us to compare. It might be more instructive if this information comes from you rather than from Steve.
Im still interested in cableman's room dimensions

Reactions: PeterA

RCanelas

Dec 28, 2021
Lisbon, Portugal
cinnamonaudio.com
I'm still interested in trying to understand anything. And since you opened the thread I assume you're interested in talking about it.

I'm glad you have recording experience, this should make the conversation easier. Let's try reducing the problem and try to squeeze out a clearer picture so we're not beating around the bush.

Your hypothesis is that there is one and only one adequate listening volume for a given room/set up. But you state this as 'once you find the spot in your volume control, it's done, don't move it ever again, no matter the source or program material'. Or at least you seem to from what I can see.

Allow me to put forward a small exercise. You record a given event. You make two masters from the same recording: one is simply 5db higher gain than the other, otherwise exactly the same. Disregard clipping, headroom, all the things that would tilt you towards an ideal gain in real life. So you have the same program, just with 5dB difference in gain. Your hypothesis is that you still should not move the reproduction gain/volume, the ideal setting will provide you with the best experience for both masters of this same recording?

Sorry for the reductio ad absurdum, but you seem pretty confident in your claims, so here shouldn't be a problem in digging deeper.

Reactions: tima

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Why? It’s tried and trusted. And yes. In due course I’ll suggest various lps and pressings.

And I hope you share your room dimensions and the listening volume at which you listen at your listening seat? The volume must surely change depending on which recording you’re listening to, but I would like a rough idea.

why be so vague about your claims and not share more specific details about the method used to find this right room volume?

Reactions: Bobvin

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
What is the update and who is Keyser Soze?
Peter FYI the update… that the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that RRV didn’t exist :eek::)

• Haha
Reactions: tima

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
If the OP is saying that one volume level fits all recordinds with minor (say + or - 2db) volume adjustments, I am speechless. Maybe I do not understand RRV.

And no OP, Steve does not need your help. To suggest otherwise is very pretentious and disrespectful.

And Steve, if you have detents (clicks) on your volume control knob, I totally agree. Volume knobs that have no such control, that is another story. What is the dB value of each click of your pre?

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
If he is saying that one volume fits all, I am speechless.
I guess we can at least all agree that the Mute function is the same RRV, whatever the music or room.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I must say if setting your volume at one level and never changing it works for you go for it.

The first time I read this I really thought someone was doing this a little too much. R.png

• Haha
Reactions: Bobvin and Audire

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
It really is astonishing... there is a claim that RRV is one particular value, clearly room dependent. But the fellow advocating for this isn't willing to share 1) his own value in terms of a db measurement along with some details about his room and/or 2) some method by which one goes about determining this RRV.

It would seem to me (but as I said before, I am just a layman) someone so devoted to telling the world about RRV he'd be willing to share his method/technique so we could all bask in the glory of RRV.

Otherwise, this thread is a repeat with no new information, i.e. worthless troll slobber.

Reactions: ecwl
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing