UPDATE ON RRV ie RIGHT ROOM VOLUME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
A controversial subject for some on here and cause of much gnashing of teeth

RRV IS CRUCIAL TO GETTING THE SOUND BALANCE RIGHT. ONCE SET YOU DO NOT CHANGE IT, and no I don’t care how loud or how quiet, volume wise, your lp is pressed. RRV just gives you more head room on lower volume records.

I cannot stress enough the importance of setting it correctly in your room and at your listening position. Preferably you will NOT have a stepped remote as they are unlikely to be accurate enough for the incremental changes you may make to set it

The sound just opens up in some cases quite spectacularly when it’s spot on. The music breathes and the spaces between are a joy to hear.

I await the usual from the usual suspects

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Start of Möbius Curve, meet end of Möbius Curve.

Last edited:
Reactions: analyzer

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

RCanelas

Dec 28, 2021
Lisbon, Portugal
cinnamonaudio.com
I'm curious about the concepts behind these ideas Mr. Cableman. Can you flesh out your train of thought and maybe provide some references or analogies to the underpinnings of room right volume, or is this purely empirical and anecdotical?
You're stating that there is a setting, in your preamp or any other global volume control scheme you use, that just clicks in terms of how your system interacts with the room? No matter what the gain of the source you pass though it? Having a hard time understanding what you are even proposing, even after fishing in other threads.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
I have on numerous occasions so I’m hoping it’s covered. I have experience in music studio ownership and producing and mixing and cutting multi million selling records. I come on to help but I fear those who respond are in no rush to upgrade their listening situations.
I play music at the correct level where everything is where is should be including the spaces in between.

Some fear change. I don’t. Hence my assurance that RRV is absolutely crucial to achieve the best listening experience.

There is no setting. You set it yourself according to your knowledge of how closest to the recording you believe you have got. I get it spot on by using records I’ve been involved in. I also use The Beatles and Joni Mitchell, just because…
Some on here change their volume according to the level of the recording. This confirms they have not set RRV and hence are significantly losing out on the musical joys. Once set you NEVER EVER EVER change it. Ever!!!

wil

Jul 22, 2015
“they would not listen they did not know how”
I'm curious about the concepts behind these ideas Mr. Cableman. Can you flesh out your train of thought and maybe provide some references or analogies to the underpinnings of room right volume, or is this purely empirical and anecdotical?
You're stating that there is a setting, in your preamp or any other global volume control scheme you use, that just clicks in terms of how your system interacts with the room? No matter what the gain of the source you pass though it? Having a hard time understanding what you are even proposing, even after fishing in other threads.
I too have been curious about what the Cableman sayeth, but I feel I must be unworthy, as I can not make my brain to understand his words...

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I too have been curious about what the the Cableman sayeth, but I feel I must be unworthy, as I can not make my brain to understand his words...

The title of this new thread promises an update. I’m waiting for what that update is. So far the claims in this discussion are the same as those in the other threads. I have a range of three or four clicks on my volume control were all my recordings seem to sound right. Perhaps I have to fine-tune that to one of the three or four settings. Because I don’t have a remote control, I will be denied the exercise of leaving my sofa to adjust the volume.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
The title of this new thread promises an update. I’m waiting for what that update is. So far the claims in this discussion are the same as those in the other threads. I have a range of three or four clicks on my volume control were all my recordings seem to sound right. Perhaps I have to fine-tune that to one of the three or four settings. Because I don’t have a remote control, I will be denied the exercise of leaving my sofa to adjust the volume.
Depending on the db difference between each click on your pre, 3-4 clicks is a pretty large range and would not conform to the RRV directives.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I totally agree Peter but we have the same electronics . I always listen at realistic levels however like you I have never found that one gain setting Is satisfactory for all recordings but as you say with the Lamm it gets very close as I am always listening no more than one or 2 gain control positions on the preamp on either side of this so called sweet spot. IOW that sweet spot works best in my room but depending on the recording I will always turn the gain up or down 1-2 clicks on the gain control to adjust for the recording

Reactions: Bobvin and PeterA

Steve Williams

Depending on the db difference between each click on your pre, 3-4 clicks is a pretty large range and would not conform to the RRV directives.
each click on the Lamm gain control IIRC is 0.3 db gain

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
In theory, at one playback level, a solo cello close mic’s would seem louder and closer to the listener than the cello sound in an orchestra or a quartet with a further mic position. Not changing a thing With the volume setting would support these different presentations.

The problem in practice however is that the subjective enjoyment of the recorded performance encourages some adjustment of the playback volume.

I am still waiting for the promised update that is new information not yet mentioned in the other threads on this topic.

I suppose I could just leave the volume setting at one position in my range of three or four and listen that way for a week and then to the next setting for another week and so forth through a collection of 20 or 30 recordings to test this right room volume. For those of us without recording session experience, I’m also curious about any guidance that might be provided to determine what this precise volume setting is in the room. How do we know it when we reach it? What do we listen for? Without any discussion about specifics, I feel that this topic remains a mystery.

Reactions: Bobvin

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
I totally agree Peter but we have the same electronics . I always listen at realistic levels however like you I have never found that one gain setting us satisfactory for all recordings but as you say with the Lamm it gets very close as I am always listening no more than one or 2 gain control positions on the preamp on either side of this so called sweet spot. IOW that sweet spot works best in my room but depending on the recording I will always turn the gain up or down 1-2 clicks on the gain control to adjust for the recording
I listen at the correct level. It’s called the RRV

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
In theory, at one playback level, a solo cello close mic’s would seem louder and closer to the listener than the cello sound in an orchestra or a quartet with a further mic position. Not changing a thing With the volume setting would support these different presentations.

The problem in practice however is that the subjective enjoyment of the recorded performance encourages some adjustment of the playback volume.

I am still waiting for the promised update that is new information not yet mentioned in the other threads on this topic.

I suppose I could just leave the volume setting at one position in my range of three or four and listen that way for a week and then to the next setting for another week and so forth through a collection of 20 or 30 recordings to test this right room volume. For those of us without recording session experience, I’m also curious about any guidance that might be provided to determine what this precise volume setting is in the room. How do we know it when we reach it? What do we listen for? Without any discussion about specifics, I feel that this topic remains a mystery.
The update? Don’t change the volume.

Steve Williams

As I said I listen at realistic levels and that for me is a different gain control for large symphonic vs a solo singer. The difference in gain however rarely varies by more than 2 clicks up or down from my usual gain control position

Reactions: PeterA
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing