Upcoming Releases

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Could you tell us what brand of AES/EBU cable you use?

Audioquest Wind. That’s not an official recommendation, just something I happened to have. I’m sure there are better options available. As you can probably imagine I spend more time listening to the direct analogue output option as it more directly shows the Interface capabilities cutting out the “middleman”, being AES/EBU in this case. Naturally that’s more or less irrelevant for the Totaldac.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
I have 3 TotalDAC reclockers on the way to the DAC. There is no way to remove 1 of them .
There is significant benefit of multiple reclockings.
But yes I belive you could drop the sotm as this is not on the level of TotalDAC reclockers performance.

i'm sure there is a benefit from having multiple totalDAC reclockers. i'd love to have more of them!

there is, however, a clear sonic benefit of

taiko usb > sotm reclocker & convert to aes/ebu > totalDAC reclcocker > totalDAC dac
versus
taiko usb > totalDAC reclcocker > totalDAC dac

so when the xdmi out with aes/ebu becomes available, i will have to remove the sotm reclocker which currently benefits
the SQ. i'm still hoping for a step up overall so that taiko usb + 2 reclockers is eclipsed by taiko xdmi + 1 reclocker.

QuantumWave

Feb 5, 2021
Wou
Audioquest Wind. That’s not an official recommendation, just something I happened to have. I’m sure there are better options available. As you can probably imagine I spend more time listening to the direct analogue output option as it more directly shows the Interface capabilities cutting out the “middleman”, being AES/EBU in this case. Naturally that’s more or less irrelevant for the Totaldac.
Would you say that the direct analog is the most transparent approach? (Just removes a whole bunch of processing and cabling that colors the sound?).
The beauty of the TACDA is that you have full control on tuning the Taiko house sound and establish a baseline
across users.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Would you say that the direct analog is the most transparent approach? (Just removes a whole bunch of processing and cabling that colors the sound?).
The beauty of the TACDA is that you have full control on tuning the Taiko house sound and establish a baseline
across users.

Can I answer that Wednesday after we make the product announcement? It will be easier to explain everything then :)

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Dear Emile, Will the Taiko TACDA have a digital volume control like the Todaldac DAC? Or does it need a preamplifier (I don't have one)?

No, atleast not currently, though the modular design would not make it very difficult to add it later on if there’s enough demand for something like that.

Reactions: QuantumWave

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
No, atleast not currently, though the modular design would not make it very difficult to add it later on if there’s enough demand for something like that.
Dear Emile, Could you add this feature of digital volume control by firmware change? Or change of internal topology of configurable existing chips? Or is a hardware change with new printed circuit board necessary?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Dear Emile, Could you add this feature of digital volume control by firmware change? Or change of internal topology of configurable existing chips? Or is a hardware change with new printed circuit board necessary?

If we do it it would have to be a very good solution, we’re not interested in implementing anything which would deteriorate sound quality. So I just cannot answer that question yet.

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
If we do it it would have to be a very good solution, we’re not interested in implementing anything which would deteriorate sound quality. So I just cannot answer that question yet.
Dear Emile, thanks for looking into it. For me, it would be a requirement since I don't have a preamp. I suppose Totaldac has found a way to do it without a deterioration in sound quality. I compared the Totaldac DAC (sublime) + Totaldac drivers vs. with the CH L1+X1 which I had (and sold), and it sounds better without the preamp (for my taste/system).

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Dear Emile, thanks for looking into it. For me, it would be a requirement since I don't have a preamp. I suppose Totaldac has found a way to do it without a deterioration in sound quality. I compared the Totaldac DAC (sublime) + Totaldac drivers vs. with the CH L1+X1 which I had (and sold), and it sounds better without the preamp (for my taste/system).
Good decision.
I had for 2 years Kondo M 1000 Mk2 in my system that is one of the very best preamps on the planet and I SOLD IT because with Totaldac DAC and drivers was much better.
I was extreme happy selling Kondo as I saved tons of cash.

Reactions: MusicFellow and VPN

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
What's the current status for release of Taiko TACDA into the DIY market?
TACDA is now named XDMI analog out and will not be released into the DIY market:

Last edited:
Reactions: stretchneck

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing