Introducing Olympus & Olympus I/O - A new perspective on modern music playback

Olympus launch. Cover P1.jpg

For those who just started reading up on Olympus, Olympus I/O, and XDMI, please note that all information in this thread has been summarized in a single PDF document that can be downloaded from the Taiko Website.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

The document is frequently updated.

Scroll down to the 'XDMI, Olympus Music Server, Olympus I/O' section and click 'XDMI, Olympus, Olympus I/O Product Introduction & FAQ' to download the latest version.

Good morning WBF!​

We are introducing the culmination of close to 4 years of research and development. As a bona fide IT/tech nerd with a passion for music, I have always been intrigued by the potential of leveraging the most modern of technologies in order to create a better music playback experience. This, amongst others, led to the creation of our popular, perhaps even revolutionary, Extreme music server 5 years ago, which we have been steadily improving and updating with new technologies throughout its life cycle. Today I feel we can safely claim it's holding its ground against the onslaught of new server releases from other companies, and we are committed to keep improving it for years to come.

We are introducing a new server model called the Olympus. Hierarchically, it positions itself above the Extreme. It does provide quite a different music experience than the Extreme, or any other server I've heard, for that matter. Conventional audiophile descriptions such as sound staging, dynamics, color palette, etc, fall short to describe this difference. It does not sound digital or analog, I would be inclined to describe it as coming closer to the intended (or unintended) performance of the recording engineer.

Committed to keeping the Extreme as current as possible, we are introducing a second product called the Olympus I/O. This is an external upgrade to the Extreme containing a significant part of the Olympus technology, allowing it to come near, though not entirely at, Olympus performance levels. The Olympus I/O can even be added to the Olympus itself to elevate its performance even further, though not as dramatic an uplift as adding it to the Extreme. Consider it the proverbial "cherry on top".

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but electrostatic headphones will need a totally different amp than dynamic headphones.

Is Taiko planning on creating an electrostatic amp version of XDMI too?
I believe that will be best for Emile and Taiko team to address once they have a clear idea which path they want to take. The vast majority of headphone audiophiles are either using electrostatic or planar magnetic headphones. Both technologies have their advantages and drawbacks.

While planar magnetic headphones typically offer more dynamic headroom compared to electrostats, they are low impedance designs – the Susvara from Hifiman has 60ohm impedance while the newest LDC-5 from Audeze is much lower still at 14 ohms. This requires a very low impedance amplifier design like the new dCS Lina for example with output impedance of 0.7ohm to avoid damping issues. The sensitivity also typically ranges somewhere between 92-83db. In my experience, you need a proper high power delivery amplifier to really tap into the full potential of planars. Hifiman built a dedicated amp for the Susvara which weights like 25kg and outputs 20w in Class A to drive them properly.

Electrostats on the other hand have a much higher impedance and also higher sensitivity, typically around 100-105db. Integrating an electrostatic amplifier which can be much smaller and still work really well would hence seem, in my view, like the most prudent solution for the Olympus.

I will put forward a suggestion. Just a suggestion! I don't claim to be an expert in audio land. Many sonic changes in the Horizon. For many of you who enjoy XDMS (so do I) I would be transitioning to Roon now. I "think" by doing this the new sonic presentation/transition of Gear/XDMI will be easier on the brain/ears to transition too...

Reactions: MarkusBarkus
...and perhaps make the comparison clearer and more meaningful, since (if on XDMS) one will not have two variables to "confuse" the results? Good thinking John T. Carry on bravely.

Reactions: John T
...and perhaps make the comparison clearer and more meaningful, since (if on XDMS) one will not have two variables to "confuse" the results? Good thinking John T. Carry on bravely.
Hard to keep track of you these days Mark! If you happen to be in Cape Town, South Africa. (you had mentioned SA) Stop in Giovanni's in Greenpoint for a great sandwich! My old stomping grounds! Lots of pretty girls at the coffee bar!!

Will post updates on Wednesday! I’m currently out of office till then due to my kids May school holidays.

I can share that we more or less solved the storage SQ differentials to within about a ~1% margin. Will share the details on that on Wednesday as well.

WBF is up again and we are waiting!

• Haha
Reactions: Steve Williams
Dear Emile, Since most of the Taiko team will be in Munich next week, I wonder if the first batch of Olympus will be shipped prior to Munich, or after Munich.

Since not all exhibitors have publicly announce their lineup yet, we'd rather not disclose this ahead of our partners - Olympus will have great company :)
Now one week before Munich a full disclosure should be possible.
I see Taiko Olympus at Aries Cerat, anywhere else?
Thanks

Now one week before Munich a full disclosure should be possible.
I see Taiko Olympus at Aries Cerat, anywhere else?
Thanks
Besides our own room and our friends at Aries Cerat, we'll also be featured in the Lampizator room, where we will showcase the native integration of Taiko and Lampizator via XDMI link.
The fourth occasion, where Olympus will be playing, will be the room of our partner and distributor Robert Varga of Dream Audio, who will exhibit a SOTA system consisting of brands he carries.

Our team will be mostly present in those rooms and happily answer all incoming questions.

We are beyond excited to finally present the fruits of our labour to the public!

Besides our own room and our friends at Aries Cerat, we'll also be featured in the Lampizator room, where we will showcase the native integration of Taiko and Lampizator via XDMI link.
The fourth occasion, where Olympus will be playing, will be the room of our partner and distributor Robert Varga of Dream Audio, who will exhibit a SOTA system consisting of brands he carries.

Our team will be mostly present in those rooms and happily answer all incoming questions.

We are beyond excited to finally present the fruits of our labour to the public!

Are any A/B demos planned? It’s very hard to discern much about servers otherwise at shows, tbh.

Hello everybody, I am just packing my car to go to Munich and I am very excited because we will partner in the main HALLE2 with DearWolf / La Linea speaker company, among other good companies - a startup from Poland made by the people who know what they are doing. Be prepared for a good sound. Taiko Olympus will be the highlight of this presentation and we will bring the Poseidon `DAC with the Taiko input (the first one - Taiko compatible Poseidon). These speakers are extremely elaborate Accuton wonders that should show beautifully the Olympus superiority - simply digging an unheard-of amounts of information. It is very similar effect to the one that Michael Fremer makes when playing his "metals" versus vinyls. It is a "holly shit!" effect. Of course the Munich show is not a proper place to hear nuanced music presentation - we will be in a plywood box for a booth but soon after - all 200 users of Horizon and 50 something users of Poseidon will be able to get the upgrade package. As we announced before - the whole retrofit job - parts and labour - will cost 10% of the Dac list price plus the cable of choice plus the shipping. The two cables we prepared are Lampizator Silver Shadow and KBL Sound Extrema - for 1000 and 3000 Euro respectively. The reason I mention the cable is because it is a very important piece of the puzzle and should not be taken lightly. For comparisons we will have in Munich the very good "normal"music server as well as very high caliber vinyl rig.
SEE YOU IN MUNICH
P.S. In Marriott DeLuxe we will have horn speakers from Destination Audio (sam Wisniewski's NIKA baby horns) but no Taiko there, sorry.

All existing inputs and outputs on both the server and the DAC remain fully operational
My "Next Horizon" has XDMI (Taiko) as well as USB but IIRC it was my understanding that the Olympus comes either with the USB card or the XDMI ...perhaps tsaett could correct me if I am wrong. Point is a direct comparison is possible with the Horizon but I think you will need either a 2nd Olympus or e able to swap a USB card for the XDMI card o_O

Here is a link to my thread on the Next Horizon with photos of the back showing inputs

I will put forward a suggestion. Just a suggestion! I don't claim to be an expert in audio land. Many sonic changes in the Horizon. For many of you who enjoy XDMS (so do I) I would be transitioning to Roon now. I "think" by doing this the new sonic presentation/transition of Gear/XDMI will be easier on the brain/ears to transition too...
I just listening a bit to Roon again for the first time in months -- both build 1353 and updated to build 1407. I was a little surprised at how stark the difference is with Xdms being more organic and real sounding. Roon sounds cheap and artificial by comparison and seems to have a slight grit riding on the signal.

Though I trust assurances that Roon with Olympus/xdmi will be an upgrade, I'll be counting the days to get Xdms back!

it was my understanding that the Olympus comes either with the USB card or the XDMI ...perhaps tsaett could correct me if I am wrong.

Good evening Steve :)

If one orders the Olympus Server and the Olympus I/O one can have both cards: USB and XDMI.

The USB adapter will be placed in the Olympus Server and the XDMI interface will be placed in the Olympus I/O.

That's what I ordered.

I don't expect to use the USB card very much, but I could do some comparisons. And, in my context, it will be handy at the beginning.

Cheers,

Thomas

I believe the Olympus without the I/O has both USB and XDMI. I know when Emile originally discussed the configuration I replied and said I would be comparing the DAC daughterboard to my Horizon via USB. The DAC (and S/PDIF) daughterboards required XDMI so I am assuming one gets an XDMI board, 2 daughterboards and a USB board. What I am not 100% sure of is if the native XDMI to a compatible external DAC requires a daughterboard as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing