Tripoint troy signature grounding device

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Don't think so Roger
Otherwise why do so many AE owners have 2, even 3 Troys?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The capacity of any Tripoint should be unlimited as far as grounding multiple components. The only limitation is the users ability to configure the connection. There is no hocus pocus here,the connection to mains ground is sufficient.

Do not think so. The Troy seems to be much more than just a distribution box.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tell audiophiles not to unecesarily spend their cash?
That's a novel concept

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
If you're right Roger, Troy customers REALLY have cash to burn, or sales advice is less than correct
A Troy Elite w 3 Master Ref grnd cbls per post should work according to you

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
If you're right Roger, Troy customers REALLY have cash to burn, or sales advice is less than correct
A Troy Elite w 3 Master Ref grnd cbls per post should work according to you

That's correct...we are only dealing with micro voltage here. I have 30+ connections to a single point...it is unlimited.Carry on,

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
What is the concept of Tripoint according to your opinion?

Well the key I believe is the result...chassis grounding. More clarity,dynamics,separation,tonal purity,nuance,expanded soundstage,closer to the recording event...same,same.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Well the key I believe is the result...chassis grounding. More clarity,dynamics,separation,tonal purity,nuance,expanded soundstage,closer to the recording event...same,same.

As far as I know, it is not chassis grounding. The ground points of the Tripoint and the mains ground are not connected through low resistance straps. It is why I asked for how we should use them.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
As far as I know, it is not chassis grounding. The ground points of the Tripoint and the mains ground are not connected through low resistance straps. It is why I asked for how we should use them.
The Tripoint is connected to the component and by a modified PC to mains ground,that is all that is needed. I will say no more.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

I would not presume to get into technical merits of the Tripoint products. not only is my knowledge limited to understand it, but I don't really care about it at all.

I can only say that in my system the Tripoint is purely used in a 'chassis ground' situation. and that the Tripoint Troy Signature itself is connected to the wall outlet with a plug with disconnected hot and negative pins. only the ground pin is connected to the Tripoint itself. so it is connected to the power grid ground.

I hope that is helpful.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
just found out that Miguel will be shipping me a new Tripoint Troy Elite next week. I'm excited to replace my Troy Signature on my sources with the Elite. then the Troy Sig will be moved to my dart mono blocks for chassis grounding. i
Congratulations Mike. Have read lots of raving comments on Troy Elite from Asia but it will be even more interesting to read your comments. Don't keep us in suspense too long.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I would not presume to get into technical merits of the Tripoint products. not only is my knowledge limited to understand it, but I don't really care about it at all.

I can only say that in my system the Tripoint is purely used in a 'chassis ground' situation. and that the Tripoint Troy Signature itself is connected to the wall outlet with a plug with disconnected hot and negative pins. only the ground pin is connected to the Tripoint itself. so it is connected to the power grid ground.

I hope that is helpful.

Mike,

A device used purely on a "chassis ground" situation would not depend on connecting cable material for example. Miguel Alvarez is quite clear when less expensive cables are used, even thicker - according to him, the “magic was lost.” So he must use expensive solid silver cables. Troy is much more than just a grounding strap.

My only question is on the use of the three Cardas connectors of the Troy - can they be used indifferently, or we should group equipment according to a preferred scheme?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

A device used purely on a "chassis ground" situation would not depend on connecting cable material for example. Miguel Alvarez is quite clear when less expensive cables are used, even thicker - according to him, the “magic was lost.” So he must use expensive solid silver cables. Troy is much more than just a grounding strap.

My only question is on the use of the three Cardas connectors of the Troy - can they be used indifferently, or we should group equipment according to a preferred scheme?

I've not played around with which grounding cable is on which Troy terminal. not saying it's not significant. right now, I have 6 cables for 3 terminals, so 2 per terminal. I've seen pictures of as many as 4 or 6 cables connected to some Troy single terminal (with extended posts) on the Audioexotics website. I'm not able to explain it any further.

I did connect both of the ground cables to my 2 tonearm boards to the same terminal, and also connect both my Thor SE Master Reference cables to the same terminal, but I did not do any A/B to see if it mattered. it seemed like common sense.

when I get the Elite, I will likely play around more and see if there might be a difference.

so reality is that there are no rules, just what sounds better (or best). you are tweaking stuff and should follow your ears.....unless......you start dealing with the actual hot leads of a power grid or the amplifier output.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
If you use mono power amps, Miguel suggests not to connect both sides to the same Troy connector. Also, never connect line stage and phono stage on the same connector, same goes for digital transport and D/A converter. I did not test those "rules" but others have...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Mike,

I have found in my own system many years ago that if I mixed different cables on the same post, things got funny...a bit fuzzy. If i keep the same kind of cables and uses (ie, grounding signal vs grounding chassis) on separate posts, then all good. I have 14 connections to 3 posts...last time i spoke with Miguel he said that was a record!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
If you use mono power amps, Miguel suggests not to connect both sides to the same Troy connector. Also, never connect line stage and phono stage on the same connector, same goes for digital transport and D/A converter. I did not test those "rules" but others have...

I have found in my own system many years ago that if I mixed different cables on the same post, things got funny...a bit fuzzy. If i keep the same kind of cables and uses (ie, grounding signal vs grounding chassis) on separate posts, then all good. I have 14 connections to 3 posts...last time i spoke with Miguel he said that was a record!

thanks guys. that sort of user feedback is very helpful to me going forward.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012

If it's just grounding you need, I am puzzled as to why there should be any limit to the number of components attached to one post. :confused:

Is there a manual of do's and don't available online? That would at least give some idea as to the manufacturer's preferences.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
thanks guys. that sort of user feedback is very helpful to me going forward.

Yes, this is the kind of information I will need if I decide to evaluate the Tripoint Troy for my system!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing