Tripoint Troy Elite - Installed

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Keith Armstrong has a good article on grounding (conductive structure):

[h=1]Fundamentals of EMC Design: Our Products Are Trying To Help Us[/h]https://interferencetechnology.com/fundamentals-of-emc-design-our-products-are-trying-to-help-us-3/#

scroll down to between figures #10 & #11 to:
There is No Such Thing as “Earth” or “Ground” for SI, PI and EMC

You refer to an excellent article but sorry to say that IMHO you give the worst possible advice - if people do not understand the article, skip the physics and read just a few comments they will probably get a completely wrong perspective on the subject.

This aspect was also made more evident in part of the new text of the new edition (2016) of the classic book of Ralph Morrison Grounding and Shielding: Circuits and Interference we often refer. The spectrum of interference changed significantly in in the last twenty years, different approaches are needed to deal with it.

Scroll down does not apply on this subject! :)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, so you’re a convert to the grounding cause before you’ve changed your skeptical mind on fuses?

i AM surprised .

I’m sorry, Marc, but I just don’t understand. I have always believed that proper grounding is an important part of an audio system’s electrical infrastructure.

How does simply asking some questions about how Tripoint improves an already proper and robust grounding infrastructure to try to understand how Tripoint works make me a convert to anything?

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
You refer to an excellent article but sorry to say that IMHO you give the worst possible advice - if people do not understand the article, skip the physics and read just a few comments they will probably get a completely wrong perspective on the subject.
Heck, skip the reading part (some of it is way deep) just look at the grounding photos.

This aspect was also made more evident in part of the new text of the new edition (2016) of the classic book of Ralph Morrison Grounding and Shielding: Circuits and Interference we often refer. The spectrum of interference changed significantly in in the last twenty years, different approaches are needed to deal with it.
Scroll down does not apply on this subject! :)
While I don't have that book, I do have three 1986 thru 1992 Ralph Morrison books. The one I like best is "Grounding and Shielding in Facilities".
The new book is rather pricey, do you think that I should spend the money?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Y’all are talk’in past each other. This reminds me of that ole’ curmudgeon engineer who says “if it measures the same then it sounds the same, and if ya think it sounds different I’ve got a bridge to sell ya.”

I think this is a variation on the objectivist versus subjectivist debate: “if we cannot explain scientifically what is happening, then that means that nothing is happening.”

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ack, Folsom: now you guys are posting exactly what Audiocrack was complaining about.

We have very experienced members who are swearing by these Tripoint products. Just because the manufacturer will not tell us how he thinks it works, and just because we do not know how it works, does not mean it is voodoo.

I refute that entirely, and consider this a wholly rude comment. I am constantly trying to help guide people to understand this stuff, and have answered a multitude of your questions. But what really erks me is the fact that I very very specifically state all of these products do work - just state that how they work is not the same as what people believe esp since manufacturers won't commit product suicide by telling the truth.

One final remark: exaggerate the high frequencies with Tripoint components? You have really no idea what you are talking about I am afraid.

When I say high frequencies I am not talking about flutes. I mean actual frequencies. The "airiness" effect is very specifically exagerated high frequencies. Lower frequencies are not the same because they do not carry spatial infiormation like that. They are however changed. You cannot load up on RF without doing so. You simply presume these products are with no trade off, and work as the manufacturers like to claim. But geniuses wide and far that are engineers on many things, including RF, very distinctly will say these products defy all known physics and reality itself to meet the accredited function told by manufacturers. My point being that it isnt just me, a guy who does work on designing electronics, it is the world and reality itself that say no, it isnt possible. If it were there is no chance in hell these guys would be accepting peanuts for their quantum engineering (or worm hole, who knows, something totally unknown), when they could be making millions.

With all due respect, Ack & Folsom, if you don't believe Tripoint is a valid grounding device that's not doing anything more than what proper engineering practices with respect to proper grounding can do in Ack's words, why are you on this thread?

Why is everyone grouping me with Ack? I am profoundly saying different things than he is saying. I don't suggest his application if anything. I cannot overstate that I say these products work, but the "tech" explanations are at least half bogus. So please do me the favor and read what I have wrote, with some deliberation. You will have to suffer the duality of what I am saying - but it is a respect I try to afford everyone else.

I’m sorry, Marc, but I just don’t understand. I have always believed that proper grounding is an important part of an audio system’s electrical infrastructure.

How does simply asking some questions about how Tripoint improves an already proper and robust grounding infrastructure to try to understand how Tripoint works make me a convert to anything?

I write this in good faith that maybe you will start actually reading what I type.

Proper grounding is important or your equipment would be dangerous and/or not work. But if you think it is not built into the equipment, what do you believe, fairy dust? The guys designing the gear (amp, DAC, etc) are eons beyond what it takes to design these grounding boxes. The most important factor to designing a "grounding device" is too understand you are not trying to engineer a technically by the numbers product, but you suck up your ego and give them what they want - even if it is just an RF antenna. They accomplish something entirely different than actual grounding. The safety earth and/or circuit ground is simply the path where they use to accomplish the goal.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
With all due respect, Ack & Folsom, if you don't believe Tripoint is a valid grounding device that's not doing anything more than what proper engineering practices with respect to proper grounding can do in Ack's words, why are you on this thread? You both sound technically qualified which I can't dispute but if you have never listened to something, any argument against it doesn't carry any weight. Did you come here to tell me I wasted my money based on your scientific knowledge of grounding but are unable to make any comparisons? I still would like to hear what "proper grounding" is and how it differs from the Voodoo so many people speak so highly of.

If you read the subsequent quotes I provided, especially the brilliant post by Atmasphere, you may be able to better judge one way or another whether you wasted your money or not. The question I would ask is this: what sort of problem are these things attempting to solve that decades worth of proper engineering have not been able to. My answer: none; it's been solved and quite well; we are just not grounding components correctly. The so called grounding box manufacturers should take my question as a challenge to come out clean and explain what they think they are doing.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
If you read the subsequent quotes I provided, especially the brilliant post by Atmasphere, you may be able to better judge one way or another whether you wasted your money or not. The question I would ask is this: what sort of problem are these things attempting to solve that decades worth of proper engineering have not been able to. My answer: none; it's been solved and quite well; we are just not grounding components correctly. The so called grounding box manufacturers should take my question as a challenge to come out clean and explain what they think they are doing.

no. they should not. they should know their customer base and be responsive to them and not worry about nay sayers. they owe them nothing......and the odds of it ending up as a positive for these products is remote. Tripoint customers are not asking these questions and need no one to 'help' us.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am perfectly comfortable believing that somehow Tripoint is improving the sound of clients' systems, even if we do not know technically how the improvement is being accomplished.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Y’all are talk’in past each other. This reminds me of that ole’ curmudgeon engineer who says “if it measures the same then it sounds the same, and if ya think it sounds different I’ve got a bridge to sell ya.”
And a smarter engineer said (to paraphrase) if a meaningful difference is heard, than a skilled engineer with the correct equipment can measure and identify the reason for that audible difference.
Does not apply to transducers or rooms.

I think this is a variation on the objectivist versus subjectivist debate: “if we cannot explain scientifically what is happening, then that means that nothing is happening.”
A better variation would be:
"If we can not hear a difference ears only, then that means that nothing is happening.”

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
no. they should not. they should know their customer base and be responsive to them and not worry about nay sayers. they owe them nothing......and the odds of it ending up as a positive for these products is remote. Tripoint customers are not asking these questions and need no one to 'help' us.

+1.

Ack, I think you are hung up on believing that these devices need to act like like the claims. They do not, because they do work despite not working typically in any fashion as claimed. Customers that like what they do are happy, no matter what the tech talk says. Furthermore they can be measured, and despite Ron's prevalence to deny people that know something, telling him how they work, we do know mostly, if not wholly - depending on the specific product - how they work.

They simply are not trying to replacing real grounding. They do not work that way - hence the bogus part in advertising. So there is no reason to compare them to the engineering of Atmosphere or anyone else.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I am perfectly comfortable believing that somehow Tripoint is improving the sound of clients' systems, even if we do not know technically how the improvement is being accomplished.

I do have a problem with that.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Folsom, I apologize for lumping you with Ack in my earlier post. You have been making a totally different point than Ack.

If Miguel will not tell us how he thinks the Tripoint works, and if you have never taken apart a Tripoint, how can you be so certain that you "know mostly, if not wholly, how it works"?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
So basically use a single power outlet and plug all components into it? That's what I do.

That will make sure the equipment is not at different potentials. But dedicated lines work well for this, too. What works poorly is just using whatever sockets are in the house from multiple walls that are tied to all sorts of different things.

"Ground loops" exist in some way shape or form to all audio gear. For example if your DAC to amp used balanced cables forms a loop from safety ground at your power distribution strip/box or 2 socket wall receptacles then through each component to it's chassis, connecting on the shield of the XLR cable. That is a loop. But if your amp is on another circuit then the loop is the size back to the breaker box from both AC wall receptacles. Generally both of these loops are fairly benign on a balanced system. But you get the idea that depending on how the equipment is made you can grow or shrink loop paths pretty quickly. But the potential difference starts to play a factor to increase the noise when your receptacles are not running off of dedicated circuits, and there are other devices screwing everything up on the AC lines.

SO Dave's advise is good if you don't need the extra power. It is just easy assurance that you won't have a bigger than necessary loop at any time. Some gear will be immune to massive loops, other will not - both can still be good pieces of equipment.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The only way I can describe what they do is a form of star grounding the chassis together. The metal enclosures act as Faraday cages and capture current noise and transformer leakage. These devices provide a pathway to remove this common mode noise from the system. The results are much greater clarity,moving the listener closer to the music, much better defined and powerful bass,and a excellent holographic multi dimensional sound stage. In other words greater realism of the illusion.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
No need to try anything that cannot outperform proper engineering techniques. The question is: has anyone tried proper grounding first, before spending money on this stuff? Doesn't look like it.

May I refer you to the LA Assoluta thread in which I inter alia describe that I am using an earthpin of 45 meters (resulting in a 1.52 Ohms resistanse) that is (solely) connected through a pure copper cable with my dedicated audio power distributor. Adding my various Tripoint components made a big difference for the better.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Folsom, I apologize for lumping you with Ack in my earlier post. You have been making a totally different point than Ack.

If Miguel will not tell us how he thinks the Tripoint works, and if you have never taken apart a Tripoint, how can you be so certain that you "know mostly, if not wholly, how it works"?

Thank you Ron, I really appreciate that.

There are very limited possibilities to what you can do when equipment is galvanicly isolated (the transformer in your amp or preamp etc). The one thing that you can coerce fairly easily is RF, because it plays a very different game.

I'm going to draw a few schematics that you'll be able to easily follow, and I'll post them to show you why we know about the limitation of possibilities. And then the conclusion will make sense. If we were solely talking about the Entreq, well, we have seen all of it and measured it so there is zero question there. But I want to include new devices to complete the picture.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Power conditioning is totally different than star grounding....two different animals. Power conditioning cannot remove current produced hash from inside the electronics. Good engineered cables can reduce current hash,but to totally reduce the hash some form is star grounding is needed. The size of the star ground pathway is the most important aspect.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing