Top Ten Athletic Feats of All Time

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Jack it was Karl "the Mailman " Malone. I actulaly met Moses Malone when he was in high school Petersburg Va.

Tigers whole career is pretty amazing. If he wins the Matsers next week his comeback will be the greatest. Yesterday another great golfer melted in his presence.

I think Nicklaus in '86 owns that. Watson came so close at the British Open, I almost cried. Had he won I would have nominated him for this list. :( 5 More majors and Tiger owns Golf. I think it's still possible. He just has to stay hungry and healthy. I'm a Tiger fan to the bone.

Rickey would hit line drive homers? Boy, I wonder what he would have clocked on the track! He must have been one hell of a sprinter.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Well, he went to the same high school where both of my kids now attend, and he was an All-American running back as well as a baseball and basketball star. He actually did run track for a bit as well.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Shouldn't we add Bob Gibson lowest ERA in the modern era of 1.12 to the list? Gibson numbers have only been approached once and by a person who could have been one of the greatest ever ... Dwiht "Doc" GOoden with an ERA of 1.52 in 1985, his sophomore year... another great feat but the 1.12 remains incredible and likely unattainable.. For a stretch I think about 92 innings.. Gibson ERA was an absurd 0.2 ...

As for Tiger , I am rooting for his return to dominance ... Maybe too early to say He's baaaack but it was good to see him still able to instill fear in opponents heart .. I am rooting for the Roar ... Could be an interesting Masters

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Was Dino Zoff the keeper for Italy? That was a very good Brazil side, so losing to them was no disgrace!

Nope. Zoff was actually part of the team, but always on the bench. Albertosi was the starting goalkeeper in 1970. Zoff was defending the Italian goal at the age of 40 in 1982, when Italy won its third championship.

Anyway, losing a World Cup final is always disgrace!!!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Nope. Zoff was actually part of the team, but always on the bench. Albertosi was the starting goalkeeper in 1970. Zoff was defending the Italian goal at the age of 40 in 1982, when Italy won its third championship.

Tell me about it. I watched Holland lose in '74, '78 and 2010.

One day, one day!

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey

Thanks, Valerio!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Freddie Steinmark played the entire 1969 college football season with osteosarcoma of the leg which eventually killed him. (You can read about his story in great book about the famous Texas/Arkansas game of 1969 "Horns, Hogs and Nixon's Coming" by Terry Frei)

Oscar Robertson averaged a triple-double for an entire season 1961-2

Secretariat winning the Belmont by 31 lengths "He is moving like a tremendous machine!" Broke the distance record by more than 2 seconds.

Ali-Frazier "Thrilla in Manilla"
Ali described this as 'almost like dying'

Bill Russell won 11 NBA championships as player/coach and 2 NCAA championships

The Miracle on Ice

Rafer Johnson won two Olympic decathlon gold medals

Greg_R

Jan 25, 2012
Edwin Moses - won 107 consecutive hurdle finals over a 10yr span
Al Oerter - 4 Olympic gold medals, discus (similar to Carl Lewis's 4G in the long jump)
If you're going to add Schumacher then you'll need to add Richard Petty
Joe Louis (11yr+ consecutive year reign as champ)
Alexander Karelin - 3 gold, 1 silver in greco roman wrestling. Went 6 years without giving up a -point-.

Mark

Mar 17, 2012
I am not really into bicycling, but you'd probably have to put Lance Armstrong in this category as well. 7 straight Tour de France victories is no small achievement.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Well we just had Wimbledon.
So it makes sense to mention Roger Federer who is probably the best tennis player in the history of the sport; 17 Grand Slams (Pete Sampras who is incredible managed 14), and by mid July will have held the World No.1 ranking for 287 weeks overtaking Sampras on that as well.

Cheers
Orb

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Laver using a woodie makes it even more outstanding. He was my dad's hero.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing