Top Ten Male Athletes of All Time

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Mike, you are correct, Roger Bannister was the first man to break the 4 minute mile in running. IMHO, a momentous achievement and one that should guarantee him in any top ten list of male athletes.

I'm not sure I would put Bannister in the greatest athlete category--but certainly in the greatest feat. Maybe's that the topic for another thread :)

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Steve Redgrave; one of only an incredibly rare few to win gold at 5 consecutive Olympic games (1984 to 2000).
This is in rowing and that is a hard sport.

Cheers
Orb

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I think that Pele may be soon replaced by Messi. In any case, i think that Maradonna was better than Pele.

Agreed on Messi, not so sure on Maradonna being better than Pele based on cold facts.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Seems we have a few football (soccer) fans here. Nice!

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
what about Bradman?

This, it should be borne in mind, is a very area-centric thread (just made that word up btw). Admittedly it has expanded to include soccer/football, but prior to that very american (?)

I have not heard of half those guys! Serious.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
what about Bradman?

This, it should be borne in mind, is a very area-centric thread (just made that word up btw). Admittedly it has expanded to include soccer/football, but prior to that very american (?)

I have not heard of half those guys! Serious.

I'm just doing my bit to say there is more to records than those attained by males from the Big 4 (Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey). ;)

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
I'm just doing my bit to say there is more to records than those attained by males from the Big 4 (Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey). ;)

then a big 'well done' to you then!!:D

But, when you say 'football'.....I assume you mean gridiron? To the other couple of billion on the planet tho;)

when you say hockey, is that ICE hockey? Hockey is a big game in the rest of the world too, just not on ice

I guess as an american sport the best travelled would be basketball??

Hey, let's go on a tangent, as a starting point I think most worldwide sports are british in origin? Have often wondered which american sports have made it, basketball would be high, maybe even baseball too (or is that just limited to where the amrican forces were based) but is there any more??

British sports, all codes of football, cricket (maybe only limited to the empire, but THAT was pretty big!).

Anyh more for them either? Then left with the local sports, I mean curling would hardly ever be big in the rest of the world! We have Australian football, must be many regional sports.

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
then a big 'well done' to you then!!:D

But, when you say 'football'.....I assume you mean gridiron? To the other couple of billion on the planet tho;)

when you say hockey, is that ICE hockey? Hockey is a big game in the rest of the world too, just not on ice

I guess as an american sport the best travelled would be basketball??

Hey, let's go on a tangent, as a starting point I think most worldwide sports are british in origin? Have often wondered which american sports have made it, basketball would be high, maybe even baseball too (or is that just limited to where the amrican forces were based) but is there any more??

British sports, all codes of football, cricket (maybe only limited to the empire, but THAT was pretty big!).

Anyh more for them either? Then left with the local sports, I mean curling would hardly ever be big in the rest of the world! We have Australian football, must be many regional sports.

You'd be surpised about curling. I work with a guy from Wisconsin who curls. It's quite popular in the north of America.
I think that a lot of sports started off in Britain (soccer, rugby, cricket, etc.), then the colonies learned them, and now the Brits can't get a look in:)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think it can't be disputed that Football (Soccer) is the world's most watched and played sport. Problem is that it is a team sport that makes individuals only as good as the team he is in and there are A LOT of teams. So that leaves us with the very precious few that could get past multiple defenders with any degree of consistency. Something opposing teams try hard as they can to prevent. I can't think of a sport where it's most difficult to shine. Looking at numbers, the top football players may not look as far apart from each other either as much of their team contributions can be considered intangibles.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing