Top Ten Male Athletes of All Time

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
But in the end, I'm also talking about whose the greatest athlete, physical talent and what they did in their sport. In other words, we're also talking about natural genetic talent.
That's what makes these kinds of lists so hard. And what makes talking about these kinds of lists so much fun when you include beer and trash talking! In other words, what criteria do we use to evaluate an athlete?

As a parallel, what if we start a thread about the 10 greatest albums of all time? Is there any question that we'd all use some of the same criteria but also use different as well?

For me, someone like Al Oerter is arguably the best athlete of all time. The only four time gold medalist -56-60-64-68 in Olympic history in the shot put. Pyros Dimas almost did it in Olympic weightlifting with three gold and a bronze as did Suleymanoglu of Turkey. Suleymanoglu probably was the worlds strongest, most explosive athletes who at 5 ft tall and around 130 pounds, clean and jerked 3X his body weight, a record that stands today. Everyone made fun of Alexeyev's stomach at the '76 Olympics but the man was an incredible athlete too who at 300 lbs had a 44 inch vertical jump (most NBA players top out in the high 30s-with the best I think being David Thompson at around 41 inches). The man was a freak of nature.

One other thing about Oerter - he did it without the benefit of modern technology, be it a computerized brakedown of his motion, a theoretical optimal motion, or training/diet regimens.

If were talkin' Olympics, one has to consider that fish, errr, Michael Phelps. Most gold medals. Greatest swimmer of all time.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Actually I tend to look at Oerter being at the beginning of the modern era of athletic training- eg. stimulated by the ideas of the Russian coaches such as Matayev, Verhoshansky, Zatsiorsky, Issurin, Roman, etc. He was probably one of the first to embrace the Russian idea that the joint velocity and movement pattern should match that which the athlete must to in competition. In other works, Oerter was probably one of the first T&F athletes to incorporate explosive training into his program. (It's amazing to watch some of the field athletes workouts where they do sprint and hurdle work!)

And actually they did film their practice and competitions. For instance the Russians would have assistants spend hundreds of hours taking still photos of say a lift or throw and assemble it into a "film." They called it cyclo something.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm kinda liking Ron's idea of doing this while drinking a beer and watching film clips of all of the athletes mentioned !!

Watching someone like Bolt run, esp. in slow-mo, makes one realize the guy has PhD in genetics. Textbook perfect.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
What about Dwight Howard's Superman dunk in the dunk contest, when he threw the ball down into the hoop from a few feet away. Talk about genetics. Is that guy incredible, and incredibly sculpted for an almost 7 footer?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
sorry Ron I missed that

Great to have a list of all time greats but maybe a list of the top 10 in each sport and then take the top 10 of all of these
I don't see any female athletes listed

Billie Jean King comes to mind in tennis as do some other greats in that sport

I'd go Babe Zaharias, basketball, track olympian, LPGA hall of Famer :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I would be remiss if I did not mention the original American athlete Jim Thorpe. Despite being stripped of his awards he was drug free and would be considered a choir boy in todays climate.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Myles, my man:

add:

Roger Federer
Bjorn Borg
John McEnroe
Muhammad Ali
Mike Tyson
Evander Holyfiled
Rocky Marciano
Bruce Lee
Pete Rose
Nolan Ryan

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
If I recall correctly, R. Bannister was the first person to break the 4 minute mile in running. That may get him in a top ten list.

Mike, you are correct, Roger Bannister was the first man to break the 4 minute mile in running. IMHO, a momentous achievement and one that should guarantee him in any top ten list of male athletes.

Thomas.Dennehy

Jan 5, 2012
Bloomfield Hills MI
Lance Armstrong's seven consecutive Tour de France victories should not a priori prevent considering Miguel Indurain. He won five consecutive Tours from 1991-1995, an era when aero bars were about as high tech you could get. No heart rate monitors, power monitors and reams of data. He didn't even need that much cover from his teammates. Big Mig would just blow the field away in the time trials and then watch the climbers cannibalize each other in the mountains trying to make up the deficit. He even took a gracious victory lap around France in 1996 instead of abandoning when it was clear he wasn't going to get #6 (he finished 11th). A true champion.

And, if you're still not convinced, consider this. Indurain is the last TdF winner not to have been suspected of, if not convicted of, doping.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Jim Brown - possibly greatest lacrosse player of all time; not a bad football player
Wilt Chamberlain
Secretariat
Jack Nicklaus
Oscar Robertson
Willie Mays
Bill Russell
Bo Jackson
Dave Winfield
Rafer Johnson

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think that Pele may be soon replaced by Messi. In any case, i think that Maradonna was better than Pele.

Maradonna thought he was better than Pele as well. I disgree. I do believe that Lionel Messi is in a great position to sit on that throne! The beauty about his play and style is that you never see it coming. The other is...he's the antithesis of what Maradonna was...a legend in his own mind, with a substance abuse issue to match!

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
Maradonna thought he was better than Pele as well. I disgree. I do believe that Lionel Messi is in a great position to sit on that throne! The beauty about his play and style is that you never see it coming. The other is...he's the antithesis of what Maradonna was...a legend in his own mind, with a substance abuse issue to match!

We'll have to agree to disagree about Maradonna. Definitely a wasted talent, but incredible at his best. I agree about Messi. He very rarely makes anything of the constant hacking that he has to endure, which is exactly the opposite of Ronaldo at Real.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
We'll have to agree to disagree about Maradonna. Definitely a wasted talent, but incredible at his best. I agree about Messi. He very rarely makes anything of the constant hacking that he has to endure, which is exactly the opposite of Ronaldo at Real.

Don't get me started on Ronaldo! LOL!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing