Thin but great speaker cables?

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks for all the advice. No one in Stockholm seem to offer Silversmith or Crystal Cable for the moment.
It seem that I am down to the "main stream brands". I will try to audit the Chord Signature XL in my system. They seem to be reasonable thin and flexible, still offering 10 AWG of silver-plated wire, for a somewhat reasonable price, and there is a pair that I can borrow after the holidays :)

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Supra used to be a very popular brand about 20 years ago in the UK, but has almost completely disappeared from the market. Their ultra fine multi-strand cable seems to be out of favour. I don't remember them being tinned copper, just copper. Still available on Ebay though.

I'm using the 16 gauge Duelund as jumpers (about 3 ft long on my speakers) but the 12 gauge may be more suitable with all but high sensitivity speakers such as my Avantgardes.

By "High End" you seem to be looking for costly audiophile cables rather than the best cables from a sound point of view! If Jim Smith spots this thread, I'm sure he will offer the wisdom of his vast expereience regarding where Duelund may fit in the daft world of "High End". ;)
SUPRA =

http://www.jenving.se/

Still very much alive and kicking and producing most of their range in tinned copper.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Will check up Crystal cable. Have a pair of their power cords..
I second your advice. Crystal cables sound great. Currently using a Dreamline full loom most of the time.

Reactions: The Knife

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
If you want thin try the Nordost ribbons.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
SUPRA =

http://www.jenving.se/

Still very much alive and kicking and producing most of their range in tinned copper.
Yes, the Classic range is similar to the popular Supra cables of decades ago, except that the fine strands are now tinned - they used to ne naked! Back then, just about every hi-fi shop in the UK stocked 2 or 3 Supra cables, sold off the reel where the dealer or purchaser could attach connectors. Now only found on Ebay. Shops now stock only much more costly "audiophile" cables, almost always with factory-fitted connectors. Chord Cables are popular with dealers plus much more costly ones of course.

Duelund is not available in shops (as far as I know) and not from Ebay apart from a few used ones or bulk supplies from Hong Kong! They seem to keep careful control on who can legitimately distribute their cables with just one (as far as I know) outlat in UK and another in US.

Last edited:

PaulB

Jan 22, 2020
Minneapolis, Minnesota
analog.audio
Black Cat Coppertone or 3200. Big hit with the wives as they are quite small and the braiding is beautiful. Of course, they sound great.

**disclaimer: I am a dealer***

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Black Cat Coppertone or 3200. Big hit with the wives as they are quite small and the braiding is beautiful. Of course, they sound great.

**disclaimer: I am a dealer***
Thanks for the advice.

"This is a multilayered cable that begins with a 6mm core of pure cotton rope sourced from Japan. This is central to the cable as a means of creating a core that is mechanically damped. Around the core is a braid of 32 bare, pure copper strands at 30 AWG each (summing to 15AWG), then an interstitial layer of braided multifilament nylon, a secondary layer of 32 braided copper wires - same as the interior layer of wire - and finally an overall braided jacket of nylon."

Looking at the" recipe" as such, interesting with with a pure cotton rope as core.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
If you are still looking for flexible speaker cables, consider Daniel Hertz as one of your candidates.

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
If you are still looking for flexible speaker cables, consider Daniel Hertz as one of your candidates.
Thanks Mullard88. I met Mr. Levinson not long time ago in Stockholm when he show cased a few of his new products. I sure believe the Premium 500 cables are good. Mr. Levinson would not leave anything at risk.

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Actually today I decided on a pair of Luna Rouge Speaker cables. They are beautiful handcrafted (literally) by a few (like one or two persons) highly passionate and dedicated individuals in the region of Quebec, Canada, and built according to old well working recipes. Very well thought and with a big heart involved also considering our common environment in the manufacturing. They have won numerous prices, recently, so one know their standards are up to date.

I as well as you I assume, always return to a few reference tracks for evaluating Hifi Equipment, my shortlist constituted by:

Brad Paisley: Whiskey Lullaby
David Gray: Skellig
Sun Kil Moon: Carry me Ohio
Chris Stapleton: Either Way
Daniel Spaleniak: Dear love of mine
Sophie Zelmani: Oh Dear
DRGN: Recondite
Nils Lofgren: Keith Don't go
Pink Floyd: Money
I probably forgotten a few.

Last but not least: Icecream Van by Lasvegas. I cant think of any song more difficult for a system to make sound naturally. Not only is it a gem of a song, the mighty organ in this song will divide the strong from the weak :). I´ve heard this song literally thousands of times, and I believe to know when it sounds great and not so great. The Luna Rouge makes it sound just wonderful. I can play loud, really loud, and the mighty Organ is there all the time, presenting its multiple layers, detailed enough, without never being harsh analytical/digitial or tough on my ears, unfortunately a treat of lesser systems, I learned over the years.

Now I do realize that nor the Technics R1000 nor the MLs are typical hard on ears. They together produce somewhat more of a delicate sound, maybe leaning a bit toward the analytical spectrum. With the Luna Rouge, I have introduced somewhat of a warm layer in my system. The sound is now somewhat rounder and there is a nice comfortable flow in the music. Imagine a really good well balanced whiskey or bourbon. A bit soft, still sparkling and detailed enough in my taste. One wants to increase the volume a bit, because now Luna allow higher volume to be played without the sound becoming harsh on my ears. Learning that I knew I was something on the track, a tad more romantic, a tad more tube like?

It goes without saying the cable is flexible as few and really easy to work with. Its not ultra thin, but flexible enough. I made an outer jacket in 100% cotton based black velvet as extra protection and because I rather have black in my living room then Rouge (Red).

Excuse me for sounding like someone who just wants to justify yet another Hifi purchase :).

Wishing everyone a good new year!

Attachments

• D4F18047-1438-4EC3-8198-77D24D554429.jpeg
    D4F18047-1438-4EC3-8198-77D24D554429.jpeg
    513.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 9BEAE8A5-73A7-43A0-9A5D-B77E276E0B0E.jpeg
    9BEAE8A5-73A7-43A0-9A5D-B77E276E0B0E.jpeg
    592.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 882B499D-5DB9-45CC-B256-AF5B72B53ACF.jpeg
    882B499D-5DB9-45CC-B256-AF5B72B53ACF.jpeg
    559.4 KB · Views: 8
  • AC9ACB73-C534-42B5-8D06-5DE788CA80BF.jpeg
    AC9ACB73-C534-42B5-8D06-5DE788CA80BF.jpeg
    474 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing