Thin but great speaker cables?

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Good day,

I am upgrading my speaker cables from 2x7 meters Chord Epic X to 2x3 meters (ca 10 feet) of another brand. I am looking for serious cables, cables that can compete with the best out there. However, for interior design purposes they cant be to thick. They also need to be fairly flexible as I am to bend them somewhat 90 degrees at one point (at least this is my ambition as of now). Is this just a fantasy of mine, or does extremely good sounding cables exist with features mentioned above. Happy for any advice!

Kind regards
Andreas

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
You seem to be accurately describing this cable - https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wi...istrand-copper-wire-cotton-oil-insulated.html

I'd never heard of it but a thread on another forum convinced me to try it as it was highly respected professionals who suggested this cable. This Duelund speaker cable comes in 3 thicknesses (20, 16 and 12 gauge), but all are pretty skinny compared with many over-priced "audiophile" cables.

The dielectric is cotton and oil, so it’s a little tricky to strip off the insulation before fitting banana or spade connectors. Moreover, the insulation for both wires is black so care needs to be taken with connecting correctly coloured connectors. It seems to be sold by just one outlet in US (Parts Connection) and another in UK (HiFi Collective). I'm not sure if either supplier offers complete off-the-shelf cables with connectors.

These are relatively stiff though can be bent tightly (and stay that way) if required and are easy to hide as they are black and thin. Search this and other forums to find users opinions - I don't think you'll find a word said against them, apart from the caveats I'm mentioned here. It's the sound quality that really counts! Peter

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks for the advice Peter. I will read up on them! There is a Swedish brand, named Supra that also constructs cables, in tinned copper, on around the price point and upwards where Duelund is.

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
I actually are not that dependent on that the cables are thin, they just need to be pretty flexible. I wonder if there are any of the High End manufacturers that offers flexible cables.

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Last edited:

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Thanks for the advice Peter. I will read up on them! There is a Swedish brand, named Supra that also constructs cables, in tinned copper, on around the price point and upwards where Duelund is.
Supra used to be a very popular brand about 20 years ago in the UK, but has almost completely disappeared from the market. Their ultra fine multi-strand cable seems to be out of favour. I don't remember them being tinned copper, just copper. Still available on Ebay though.
I actually are not that dependent on that the cables are thin, they just need to be pretty flexible. I wonder if there are any of the High End manufacturers that offers flexible cables.
I'm using the 16 gauge Duelund as jumpers (about 3 ft long on my speakers) but the 12 gauge may be more suitable with all but high sensitivity speakers such as my Avantgardes.

By "High End" you seem to be looking for costly audiophile cables rather than the best cables from a sound point of view! If Jim Smith spots this thread, I'm sure he will offer the wisdom of his vast expereience regarding where Duelund may fit in the daft world of "High End". ;)

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Haha. Well, sound first! Technical innovation only second :).

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Supra used to be a very popular brand about 20 years ago in the UK, but has almost completely disappeared from the market. Their ultra fine multi-strand cable seems to be out of favour. I don't remember them being tinned copper, just copper. Still available on Ebay though.

I'm using the 16 gauge Duelund as jumpers (about 3 ft long on my speakers) but the 12 gauge may be more suitable with all but high sensitivity speakers such as my Avantgardes.

By "High End" you seem to be looking for costly audiophile cables rather than the best cables from a sound point of view! If Jim Smith spots this thread, I'm sure he will offer the wisdom of his vast expereience regarding where Duelund may fit in the daft world of "High End". ;)
So I borrowed a pair of 3m Luna Mauve over the Xmas holidays.

They are indeed as flexible as a pair of speaker cables ever can be.

"18 gauge signature Luna Cables Neo-Vintage (LCNV) waxed cotton dielectric tinned copper conductors for a total of 13 gauge per polarity."

First immediate verdict. Very lovely sounding cables. Sound is round and there is a nice comfortable flow. I definitely understand that "vintage" sound Luna Cables is looking for. There is no high tech involved here (some may correct me on this point :)), just old good copper stock and hand built in Canada.

Imagine a really good well balanced whiskey or bourbon. The sound became softer. One wants to increase the volume a bit, to compensate for something that is gone missing compared to the Chord Epic X (that are silver plated). Immediate there are some punch and details missing, that the Chord was better in bringing forward. The Mauve´s definitely have calmed down my system constituted mainly by a Technics Integrated super detailed amp and detailed Martin Logan´s on top of that. For good and for worse. I am not sure what I like the most. Right now I feel I miss the detailed and ultra transparent sound of the Chord´s, but that could also be just something to get used with.

I am not sure these are keepers in my particular system, as I am into ultra transparency rather then the "cozy at the camp fire feeling".

But one thing is true for me. Cables matter! They do tune systems!

Cheers

Attachments

• 364B46FE-A8DD-4EDD-A72C-C3EB477EBC28.jpeg
    364B46FE-A8DD-4EDD-A72C-C3EB477EBC28.jpeg
    468.5 KB · Views: 11
  • B87A0FA0-A5DD-4756-9647-E1C27B31B388.jpeg
    B87A0FA0-A5DD-4756-9647-E1C27B31B388.jpeg
    668 KB · Views: 11
  • 002FE141-25A6-4932-BA3F-A066CA14BA1C.jpeg
    002FE141-25A6-4932-BA3F-A066CA14BA1C.jpeg
    655.1 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: Long Live Analog

gajgmusic

Apr 9, 2013
I have used two that are quite thin, for WAF. Sound seemed very good but neither was inexpensive. At the time, I had an audio business so it wasn't so bad. Crystal cable, the lower end models are very thin. Also used Audiotekne. I won't go into construction but quite different.

Reactions: The Knife

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
I have used two that are quite thin, for WAF. Sound seemed very good but neither was inexpensive. At the time, I had an audio business so it wasn't so bad. Crystal cable, the lower end models are very thin. Also used Audiotekne. I won't go into construction but quite different.
Will check up Crystal cable. Have a pair of their power cords..

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
I should have mentioned Silversmith, which I have not heard, but have heard good things about them.
They look the deal. Interesting construction. Nordost like. Would love to hear them out.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
They look the deal. Interesting construction. Nordost like. Would love to hear them out.
The Silversmith Fidelium is definitely worth an audition.

gajgmusic

Apr 9, 2013
I have a whole set of crystal cable of varying types but that was due, in part, to the business at the time. I would definitely consider the Silversmith as they seem very reasonably priced and I think there is some return policy. Best of luck

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing