The Ten Most Expensive Cars In The World

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
What gets me is all the complaining about the price of exotic audio equip... nobody complains about these great cars. I have a $170,000 turntable-arm-cart-phono stage that a complain-a-phile would die to hear but shoot bullets across the Internet at the thought of such an expenditure. $2.5 mil? No problemo for a car, let's fix this for audio.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
What gets me is all the complaining about the price of exotic audio equip... nobody complains about these great cars. I have a $170,000 turntable-arm-cart-phono stage that a complain-a-phile would die to hear but shoot bullets across the Internet at the thought of such an expenditure. $2.5 mil? No problemo for a car, let's fix this for audio.

never happen. i've been 'assaulted' on-line many a time for audio investments that no one would bat an eye about if they were an exotic or old hot rod car, or sailboat, or rare art, or wine collection. but expensive audio gets people's panties in a bunch for some reason.

can't see any way this will ever get fixed.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
1. Cars are commonplace...particularly in states 'cause most people have one. 2. Stereos are less commonplace.

3. $2.5M car divided by, say, $15,000 for an inexpensive car: 166x more costly.

4. $1.0M sound system divided by, say $1,000 for a not inexpensive sound system by every day standards: 1,000x more costly.

5. Although more people intuitively 'get' an expensive car...its a little more than that. The world's most expensive systems tend to touch 7-figures...and that is a lot more than even a generous budget for the average sound system. (And by average, i am including the fact that some people have a boombox, or once of those ipod self-powered speaker systems that cost $200...just like
$15K for a car represents low average sales price.)

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
never happen. i've been 'assaulted' on-line many a time for audio investments that no one would bat an eye about if they were an exotic or old hot rod car, or sailboat, or rare art, or wine collection. but expensive audio gets people's panties in a bunch for some reason.

can't see any way this will ever get fixed.

The problem guys is that a Veyron or most of the cars on this list do what they do with no discussion possible or hint of preferences about heir perfromance they run flat, fast and consistently.. You drop most any cars and the Veyron will outrun it, out-accelerate .. Day in , Day out .. No question asked .. Can you unequivocally say the same about the Audio component where it is a huge "it depends" or "it's my preference", "for my taste" .. Can you declare such a speaker? Amp? Is the A Capella Sphaedron at $450,000 better than the Evo Acoustics MM7 costing about half? ANswer would be it depends .. No so with the Veyron what it does , it does it better than any other car one can legally purchase (We are not debating the legality of the means of acquisition of such serious cash outlay though :) ) What the Veyron does. It closes the discussion .. so far some cars have approached its performance No car has surpassed it ...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The problem guys is that a Veyron or most of the cars on this list do what they do with no discussion possible or hint of preferences about heir perfromance they run flat, fast and consistently.. You drop most any cars and the Veyron will outrun it, out-accelerate .. Day in , Day out .. No question asked .. Can you unequivocally say the same about the Audio component where it is a huge "it depends" or "it's my preference", "for my taste" .. Can you declare such a speaker? Amp? Is the A Capella Sphaedron at $450,000 better than the Evo Acoustics MM7 costing about half? ANswer would be it depends .. No so with the Veyron what it does , it does it better than any other car one can legally purchase (We are not debating the legality of the means of acquisition of such serious cash outlay though :) ) What the Veyron does. It closes the discussion .. so far some cars have approached its performance No car has surpassed it ...

The Veyron also crashes prettier than any other million dollar car :)

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

yet a $15,000-$20,000 motorcycle will easily exceed the performance envelope of any production car (and is therefore accessable to almost anyone).....so the answer is not along the lines you suggest.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
yet a $15,000 motorcycle will easily exceed the performance envelope of any production car (and is therefore accessable to almost anyone).....so the answer is not along the lines you suggest.

True that .. But for cars it is the end of it all for what it does ... Can even begin to suggest such for Audio? And for top speed I am not certain one can reach 270 MPH on any street legal cycle or even any bike costing $15,000 or even $100,000, For that kind of speed on cycle has to be specialized one-off on closed race tracks ... costing likely more than the Veyron ... One can take a Veyron to the Grocery for a Ben and Jerry "Cherry Garcia" then on straight line get to that 270 MPH top speed on the way to bring it back home ...

You can tell I had a good day :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
True that .. But for cars it is the end of it all for what it does ... Can even begin to suggest such for Audio? And for top speed I am not certain one can reach 270 MPH on any street legal cycle or even any bike costing $15,000 or even $100,000, For that kind of speed on cycle has to be specialized one-off on closed race tracks ... costing likely more than the Veyron ... One can take a Veyron to the Grocery for a Ben and Jerry "Cherry Garcia" then on straight line get to that 270 MPH top speed on the way to bring it back home ...

feeling your oats today, Frantz?;)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

i've spent my life in the car biz, and in a very upscale area like Bellevue, Washington. i don't think people have any idea of performance at all when they think of super exotic cars. it's about the life-style they represent. driving cars like that makes a statement. same with an expensive sailboat, or jet plane, or whatever. at least the great unwashed get what it does and what it says.

i think the disconnect with high end audio is that so few people even appreciate fine audio to begin with that the idea of expensive audio seems odd. "why would someone want to do that? even if they could afford it?" it's a lack of understanding.

as far as audiophiles not getting the reason for a super expensive system that's a whole nother discussion.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
... One can take a Veyron to the Grocery for a Ben and Jerry "Cherry Garcia" then on straight line get to that 270 MPH top speed on the way to bring it back home ...

Yeah, but can it run that speed quietly and consistently with an accuracy of greater than one part per million? :D

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Mike you have a point about so many people buying Exotic cars .. The Car crashes video tell us how poor drivers some (several? most?) of them are ... I can honestly say the same about several systems where it is also a matter of status ... It has come to that in Audio and a good portion of those who buy uber-expensive system are not as fanatics about Audio as you and many others on the WBH and other fora are... I am being gentle here. I don't see myself buying , ever, a 1,000,000 system, I can't afford that right now and even if I came to be able to, it simply doesn't go with what I think Audio reproduction is about. I have also become more and more quite cynical about the High End Audio business side.

I am entirely at ease with someone spending their money on whatever satisfies their inner needs or leanings ..If someone can afford those ultra expensive components fine but i am not about to make the leap that all those who buy inordinately expensive components are in there for the quality of the reproduction ... I have lost that naivete a long time ago.. Nor do I believe that the very expensive components are the best and that they regularly outperform those costing much less, not in Audio, not yet and likely not ever...

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
yet a $15,000-$20,000 motorcycle will easily exceed the performance envelope of any production car (and is therefore accessable to almost anyone).....so the answer is not along the lines you suggest.

Not if you include going around corners. :D

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
If someone with a lot of money wants to impress a bunch of people, including people he doesn't know, he'll have a lot of trouble doing that with a home stereo. It's a little easier with a home theater, but a fancy house and/or a fancy car does it much better.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Not if you include going around corners. :D

it's true that superbikes don't corner or brake as well as the best cars can. but are the most expensive exotic supercars the ones that corner the best and stop the best? if it's 4000 pounds with air conditioning and power everything, then that particular supercar will not be the one to corner and stop well enough to compete with the $20k superbike.

the point is that a $20k superbike is essentially a race machine, with almost zero compromises. and the really, really super expensive exotic cars are built to be enjoyed by their drivers, not raced. it's likely that the super cars that would be superior to bikes on a track would not be the most expensive ones. they'd be the ones that are meant to be raced.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Let's face it. Once you adopt a hobby, it will distort your fiscal morals along those lines. LOL. A friend of mine has spent more on his RC cars and track than I have on my room and system. He gets that we're both nuts. We're just nuts about different things.

My thinking is, if you have to justify whatever you're doing, you've most likely gotten ahead of yourself and should be throttling back.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center

Lol ..you cant compare the two, one is tangible the other not ..! :)

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
it's true that superbikes don't corner or brake as well as the best cars can. but are the most expensive exotic supercars the ones that corner the best and stop the best? if it's 4000 pounds with air conditioning and power everything, then that particular supercar will not be the one to corner and stop well enough to compete with the $20k superbike.

the point is that a $20k superbike is essentially a race machine, with almost zero compromises. and the really, really super expensive exotic cars are built to be enjoyed by their drivers, not raced. it's likely that the super cars that would be superior to bikes on a track would not be the most expensive ones. they'd be the ones that are meant to be raced.

Corner and braking , yes they will , as for super bikes , play with them like mopeds , BMW 's new crotch rocket is a bit more of a challenge , but once you exceed 600 whp , you can just about show heels from 60mph to any super bike currently a available ..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing