The point of diminishing returns for speakers is...?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I have heard these extensively. The Magico M9 is better.

Better in which way?

(A curious, not a skeptical question.)

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reactions: Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
More lifelike. Like musicians are in the room.

In terms of size, or three-dimensionality, or both? Or in addition due to other parameters, like body of sound, timbre or dynamics?

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
More lifelike. Like musicians are in the room.

Lee, How much of this could be the listen room or system?

Reactions: Pokey77

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
Please define "bold statements"
I have heard well over one million dollar systems that you could not pay me to listen too.
Please define "bold statements". Is this not one.

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Lee, How much of this could be the listen room or system?
It was at a level beyond Alon just having a good room. There was lifelike detail, perfect soundstaging, and an effortless sound I had never experienced before.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I have not heard the magico M 9 , but looking at the discrepancy i have with reviewers ( wilson for example) i would put always " imo " in between is and better.
Facts dont really exist in reproduced audio

I think the in my opinion is always implied on these posts. That said, I have never heard the Kharmas reproduce sound in the way that the M9s did. By the way, I did not like their custom-built room at the Munich 2018 show either.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
In terms of size, or three-dimensionality, or both? Or in addition due to other parameters, like body of sound, timbre or dynamics?

It was a large image but the main thing was how realistic it sounded. The Voces 8 track was stunning in particular. The voices layered on top of each other so well yet you could hear the individual members of the chorus distinctly. It genuinely sounded like a live event.

Reactions: Al M.

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
The law of diminishing marginal utility is well established. By definition it is based on individual preferences or value and is not comparable to other individuals thus we all will have a different result. For most of us there's what is often called a sweet spot in a product line. That's where I like to live.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think the in my opinion is always implied on these posts. That said, I have never heard the Kharmas reproduce sound in the way that the M9s did. By the way, I did not like their custom-built room at the Munich 2018 show either.

I have heard the exquisite s in the kharma factory / show room several times in NL , also at a dealer in NL years ago .
The kharma room in munich wasn t good in 2023 either :) .
(Regarding magico probably no M9 in munich 2024 either)

@ It takes dedication to make them sing , but they are a good building block to my ears

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I have heard the exquisite s in the kharma factory / show room several times in NL , also at a dealer in NL years ago .
The kharma room in munich wasn t good in 2023 either :) .
(Regarding magico probably no M9 in munich 2024 either)

@ It takes dedication to make them sing , but they are a good building block to my ears

I would love to visit the factory and hear them set up at their best.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Funny, I have probably heard about 8 different models from Magico, NOT including the M9, and there wasn't a single model I liked. Comparative Wilson models sounded much better.

And to that end, hearing all of those, I STILL prefer my system for the most part. It's amazing what you can get with Maggies when you have ample quality power and ample quality subwoofers.

No, my system doesn't make it sound like the performers are in my room. My system makes it sound like I am in the performers room.

Reactions: bonzo75

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Please define "bold statements". Is this not one.

Hi, Scott and good afternoon to you. First off, let's go back to my original statement. I stated that -

treitz3 said:
To me, money means nothing in this hobby. I have heard well over one million dollar systems that you could not pay me to listen too. On the flip side, I have heard modest systems that I could sit and enjoy all day long.

When you take the entire statement I made in context, without any omissions, this is not a bold statement and I am quite sure that many here at the WBF would tend to agree. Now, if I had stated , "every million dollar plus system I have heard, you could not pay me to listen too"? Yeah, that would be a bold statement. An incorrect one at that, but bold nonetheless.

Splitting hairs is honestly not something I desire to ever get into but I thought I would at least answer your query.

Tom

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
This thread is about "Diminishing Returns". That means the curve is not linear... it starts to plateau. Yes.... $50K or $100K or $400K speakers do sound better..... 2x or 4x better... Nope! The impovements are incremental... not monumental.. !!

The best way to improve your speakers is to fix your room!

I think this is where I politely differ with Bruce a bit. While the metrics may show smaller improvements in measurements, the recreation of the event is still making significant improvements. The Magico M9 is sounding significantly better than the M3, even if the measurements show slight improvements, for instance.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The point is 130 K euros .
Unfortunately Lee s magazines have had a much higher point , as kharma dioesn t advertise much so i assume they dont get much credit.
For the rest keep the money in your pocket , buy a nice Mc laren

View attachment 118042

Can you tell us with some detail what is your experience with the complete range of Kharma speakers?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Can you tell us with some detail what is your experience with the complete range of Kharma speakers?
Many many occasions staring in 2004 with the exquisite classic on Lamm at the factory/ show room in breda .

Exquisite mini , midi , midi grand plus almost all the lower line models both current and historical , i just had n t heard the veyron series untill this year in munich.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Im not sure the exquisite classics are very good for bass heavy music like house music they can be a bit bass heavy in general .
But for vocals and classical music they present pnenomenal detail retrieval and coherency all through the mid range up.
But it takes dedication / time to make such speakers sound special

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing