The point of diminishing returns for speakers is...?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
It is funny to me that we have so many posts here.

OP question has two parts:

1) diminishing return? Yes
2) where? You decide.
3) Done.

For me it is a lot lower than some. But others have so much more money that the scale may be similar haha.

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes, I think having a good quality room is a big factor.

Well, than we can discuss what is the point of distinguish returns for rooms ...

I am sure that many people will feel tempted to say it depends on the speakers! o_O

Reactions: Bobvin and Al M.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
From what price point of speakers the improvements are small and not really worth It?
What's the minimum you can spend to get SOTA performance ?

exceedingly excellent performance - 6K.

I am sure a few other examples out there

20231014_152242.thumb.jpg.d1e9397b493c2b143650a6a6ddb74fc8.jpg

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
exceedingly excellent performance - 6K.

I am sure a few other examples out there

20231014_152242.thumb.jpg.d1e9397b493c2b143650a6a6ddb74fc8.jpg
Wait...looking at the equipment, isnt that your system? Are you trialing these? Where are your Maxx 3s?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Ok after hearing the vivids again when they had been on the Juice a bit longer .

I ll put the mark on 100 K the price of the giyas with external x over .
Very good speakers.

Attachments

• 20231014_163532.jpg
    20231014_163532.jpg
    631.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20231014_135710.jpg
    20231014_135710.jpg
    655.8 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: AudioGod

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Wait...looking at the equipment, isnt that your system? Are you trialing these? Where are your Maxx 3s?

Having a listen to them , yes. Maxx3's in the corners of the room.

Jeddyd

Oct 11, 2023
West Wales
I've no idea. However. As far as I'm concerned, the Chronosonic XVX is one of the most disgustingly ugly speakers I've ever looked at. If I am paying over one quater of a million bucks for speakers, I will expect the maker to put more consideration into the visual aesthetics of the thing than Wilson has. Unless he thinks they're nice looking or someone else does. Perhaps? Nevertheless, I would look elsewhere for my speakers.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I've no idea. However. As far as I'm concerned, the Chronosonic XVX is one of the most disgustingly ugly speakers I've ever looked at. If I am paying over one quater of a million bucks for speakers, I will expect the maker to put more consideration into the visual aesthetics of the thing than Wilson has. Unless he thinks they're nice looking or someone else does. Perhaps? Nevertheless, I would look elsewhere for my speakers.

I think you misunderstand the Wilson Audio way of looking at these matters. Their top speakers are designed for sound quality, their shape comes from the designer sound objectives - multi boxes hanging in space with rigid position adjust, rigid and inert.

I owned the discreet mocha black XLF's and do not consider them an work of art - although I prefer them a lot to the typical large parallelepiped box of similar size speakers. Happy owners are always suspicious persons to have opinions on looks, but I can say that none of my friends was troubled by their aesthetics in my room.

I am curious - what speaker are you considering in alternative to the XVX?

Reactions: Lee

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think the XVX, Wilson in general are very well made Ls .
They have a kind of robotic look .
The danger lurking in such a high tower design/ stacked units is that it can become less rigid then a simple monocoque.

Ps Unfortunately since wilson stepped away from the Focal audiom woofers for its large models its not my sound / brand anymore .
It lacks foundation / coherency , but obviously people love them , i wish them all the best

Last edited:

Jeddyd

Oct 11, 2023
West Wales
With hindsight, I over reacted. About 40 years ago, the Swan in Felstead, had a back room with several of the latest game machines like "Asteroids" and "Space Invaders". When I saw the XVX....anyway, I apologize.
When, the gym I want to buy has made a bit more, maybe I'll buy a pair to go in there, it'll be an improvement to the place.

Reactions: Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing