The ***Official*** Progressive Rock Thread

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Anyone like progressive jazz-rock-fusion? Listening to Soft Machine's Third from the year 1970 right now:

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Ron:

Progressive rock and fusion are my stock in trade. I eat, breathe, and sleep it 24/7/365. (I'll try my best to avoid going into "sell" mode and won't post my company's URL.) Soft Machine's "Third" was a transitional album for the band. Many consider it to be their masterpiece - to me its just the beginning of their evolution from the Canterbury pop sounds to that of a progressive jazz ensemble. My personal tastes actually run towards the guitar driven "Bundles" but I like it all.

Today I received inventory of a great proto-fusion album by the Finnish sax player Eero Koivistoinen. Titled "3rd Version" it features Tasavalan Presidentti guitarist Jukka Tolonen. The album has a definite "Bitches Brew" vibe but Tolonen injects heavy rock guitar. Great interplay between all the musicians and some superb Rhodes from Heikki Sarmanto. About 3 years later, in 1976 Koivistoinen released a balls-to-the-wall fusion album called "The Front Is Breaking" for Love Records. Very much in the vein of Return To Forever.

In a more contemporary direction you might check out the instrumental trio Morglbl, one of the bands that records for our Free Electric Sound label. The band is led by virtuoso guitarist Christophe Godin. Morglbl has been described as a cross between Allan Holdsworth and Primus. You can hear sound samples and watch video clips at www.myspace.com/morglbl. I'd be curious to get your feedback.

Ken Golden
The Laser's Edge

Last edited:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Ron's incredibly thorough description of the various genres of progressive rock have earned this thread the distinction of being one of the first STICKY threads at WBF.

Thanks for the great work, Ron!

Lee

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Rich, I just picked up a copy of Glass Hammer's If. I'm sure you'd like it (if you don't already have it). Very much Yes-ish.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Ron:

The album I've been enjoying the most lately is "Legacy" from a Belgian band called Hypnos 69. Here is my hype from when it arrived at Casa Laser's Edge:

Stunning new album from this interesting Belgian band. Hypnos 69 tend to morph their sound from album to album. Earlier albums have touched on stoner rock, space rock, pure psych...but all have a 70s progressive imprint. The quartet consists of guitar, keys, winds, brass, and percussion (and vocals of course). Legacy is a straight on homage to 70s progressive rock. The flute and sax work of Steven Marx sounds so much like Ian McDonald on ITCOTCK that its scary. Mellotron, Moogs, Hammonds are here in spades and leader Steve Houtmeyers guitar leads will rip your speakers apart. On the track "The Empty Hourglass", Marx' winds follow the melody of Chris Squire's "The Fish" (or perhaps I'm imagining it). Everyone in the band plays keys so I can't pick out who it is but someone has nailed Tony Banks circa ATOTT. Epic length tracks through out. The sounds of the 70s will ooze from your speakers. If you dig early King Crimson and Genesis you need to check this disc out. It blew me away on first listen and may well achieve masterpiece status.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Just finished my n-th listen to the 24/96 Court of the Crimson King - looking for something else to listen to, I stumbled on this dusty old CD in my collection:

Swedish band with their roots in psychedelic - so I'm not sure if they qualify to be on this thread.... if not, I'll remove it.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Kebnekaise are as progressive as they come. I love Kenny Hakansson's guitarwork. They actually had a very solid reunion album in 2009.

Ken Golden

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Ron's incredibly thorough description of the various genres of progressive rock have earned this thread the distinction of being one of the first STICKY threads at WBF.

Thanks for the great work, Ron!

Lee

Ron's prog knowledge is awesome. While I owned some of the more obscure stuff on LP, I must admit the only prog that has made the transition to digital for me is Yes, KC and Tull. Maybe I need to begin exploring this genre again...

Tim

JorgeLopez11

Nov 30, 2010
Mexico City
Great thread indeed! :cool:

I'll try to read the whole thread for sure!

I remember I was on my way to jazz and classical music and I had to stop in the prog genre. At that time I was very fond of Pink Floyd, ELO and Yes, but I had not discovered many other fantastic groups.

When I first listened to King Crimson, I was shocked. I couln't believe they were so good! Since then, I've explored progressive with great pleasure.

For the time being, my 10 all time favourites are:

1.- King Crimson. In the court of the Crimson King
2.- Pink Floyd. DSOTM
2.- Yes. Fragil
3.- Camel. Camel.
4.- Camel. Rajaz
5.- ELO. Brain Salad Surgery
6.- Premiata Forniera Marconi. Per un amico
7.- Genesis. Foxtrot
8.- King Crimson. In the wake of Poseidon
9.- Jethro Tull.- Aqualung
10.- Gentle Giant. Three friends

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Ron, On A'gon I started a thread about Uriah Heep and their recordings. It was unceremoniously deleted for no known reason by the moderators over there:mad::mad:
Anyhow, if you can pick up some of the UK Bronze label originals of Demons & Wizards, The Magician's Birthday and IMO one of the best live albums ever...Uriah Heep 'Live', then i think you would be in for a treat. BTW, Badger is also one to try and find...the UK LP " One Live Badger" is again IMO, AWESOME:cool::cool:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Deep Purple "Made in Japan" side IV vinyl.

Cool.

J. Lord, what a shredder.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Ron, another question...do you consider Black Sabbath as Prog rock?
BTW, Listening to some of the older Budgie now and I must say, very enjoyable. Their 1st album and 'Squawk' are probably the two highlights, IMO. But all good stuff. The original MCA Brit pressing of the 1st album has some subterranean bottom end.

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
As another major prog-rock fan, I'd like to hear about well done recordings, remasters or covers.

For the Genesis, Yes and ELP fans, this album "The Road Home" by Jordan Rudess is a must have, not only for the great playing, but the amazing sound quality. On a good system this is an amazing experience.

The rendition of Dance on a Volcano (Genesis) is the best I've ever heard.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Ron was kind enough to provide an ex-lax moment playing Rudess' "Piece of the Pi" through oneobgyn's Gotham subs s while ago for the BAAS members.

I got the "Deep Purple" disc essentially free, since the lady at Goodwill felt sorry for me because the two record set only had the I-IV disc and was missing the II-III disc.

Got the vinyl of ELP "Pictures at an Exhibition" in the same batch, played it this morning through my revamped bass setup and got some shuddering, rumbling wonderfullness.

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I don't see them mentioned but I would consider

Procol Harum A Satly Dog, Shine on Brightly, Broken Barricades
Rare Bird As your Mind Flies by

IMHO Procol Harum probably started the genre...

Reactions: Rocoa

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing