The next TWBAS?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Hah I was about to post a new topic about the latest opinion page :)
I love the idea, in a way it captures the essence of the TWBAS in the context of methodology/approach/experience.
IMO this is more useful than many reviews, and I am sure will be an enjoyable read.

Thanks again and look forward to the next installment.
Orb

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Interested to follow-up on this idea Jeff- sounds very interesting and results might bring more light to this topic.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You've got balls Jeff. Not only is this going to be tough work, it's going to be controversial! I'm giving you an A+ for effort right now.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am sure it will be an excellent series - I missed the TWBAS during 2010. Let us hope 2011 will bring us many Jeff articles!

But I am not persuaded that "with a computer-based system, you can get better sound for less money and be more future-proof." If I had to listen for the next year exclusively to high-definition tracks I would look for another hobby. :(
Considering the currently available music a system should be also tuned with a CD player.

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Very cool idea.

I wonder though, how to gauge accuracy? Your ears and my ears pinnae and response are not the same.

Will measurements be taken at the final listening point, or for each component, or whatever, or are you not going there....

Tom

I'll be happy to post in-rooms for each system. I'll be taking them anyway.

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
I am sure it will be an excellent series - I missed the TWBAS during 2010. Let us hope 2011 will bring us many Jeff articles!

But I am not persuaded that "with a computer-based system, you can get better sound for less money and be more future-proof." If I had to listen for the next year exclusively to high-definition tracks I would look for another hobby. :(
Considering the currently available music a system should be also tuned with a CD player.

Thanks!

And you can listen to all your CDs over a computer-based system. I do.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks!

And you can listen to all your CDs over a computer-based system. I do.

But unhappily I have not found a DAC that performs better than my ARC CD8 in my system for a comparable price. Last week I listened to the crazy priced Metronome Kalista and CDA2 playing CDs and for me it was clearly more musical than anything I listened at 96 or 172 kHz. Surely, this is just a subjective opinion.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Other than the mistake of using a Mac instead of a PC :D :D :D, great little system you have put together. I love the idea of shrinking the configuration to make it simpler, and cleaner. Wish there were more attempts to characterize $5K systems.

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
Jeff: I think your price points are well chosen. I also like the inclusion of some used components. That is very practical. I look forward to subsequent installments.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Jeff, Thank you for a very practical system. It is unfortunate that the DH Labs Silver Sonic cables aren't better known and reviewed. I first learnt about them in Singapore (where they were quite popular among my friends) and I still have a pair that I use as a low-cost reference. They are definitely extreme value for money and quite under-rated. (Disclaimer - I have absolutely no association with DH Labs - they are my competitors!)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Other than the mistake of using a Mac instead of a PC :D :D :D, great little system you have put together. I love the idea of shrinking the configuration to make it simpler, and cleaner. Wish there were more attempts to characterize $5K systems.

I want to take a stab at it. Now how do I get the reveiw samples?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010

Jeff nice article,
due to preferences is it possible to provide one alternative system that you feel is still exceptional but may be biased to those who may want to be on the slight coloured side of music; so not as lean-cool and maybe type of sound provided by the best tube presentation (as an example).
Not saying it has to be tubes but using that as an example where some may prefer a very good system that you could still recommend that is subtly coloured as there are quite a few who may not necessarily want a truly neutral system but would like one that may still seem natural (err hope that makes sense lol).
If it is feasible would be nice to have an alternative for each of the prices.

Thanks again
Orb

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Jeff for some free music I would add this to your $5k system.. MSRP $100. Street price around $80.00

Attachments

• XDR-F1HD..jpg
    XDR-F1HD..jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 51

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Jeff nice article,
due to preferences is it possible to provide one alternative system that you feel is still exceptional but may be biased to those who may want to be on the slight coloured side of music; so not as lean-cool and maybe type of sound provided by the best tube presentation (as an example).
Not saying it has to be tubes but using that as an example where some may prefer a very good system that you could still recommend that is subtly coloured as there are quite a few who may not necessarily want a truly neutral system but would like one that may still seem natural (err hope that makes sense lol).
If it is feasible would be nice to have an alternative for each of the prices.

Thanks again
Orb
Really Orb? You want Jeff to review a system that is intentionally colored? First of all, I don't think Jeff would do that as Jeff is a proponent of neutrality. I thought most of us felt the same way. I never intentionally sought out colorations although I'm sure some would argue that given my equipment choices and that's fine. I publish my system so people will understand where I'm coming from and take pot shots if they want to. However, I have never chosen a single component that I knew had some deviation from neutral in order to create a certain sound in my system.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I think your taking it a bit far Mep :)
Because Jeff is a fan of many different speakers and electronics and these are not all identical.

Othwerwise just look at the measurements and buy flatest speakers/electronics and no need for the article if you deem colored is anything slightly off the reservation.
There are near flat measuring tube pre/power amps out there as well Mep (mention tubes as they are the easiest example), but if we continue we are going down the route all amps sound the same/dont argument.

Cheers
Orb

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
If it is feasible would be nice to have an alternative for each of the prices.Thanks again
Orb

Thanks for the comments, guys.

I'm going to get through the other two systems first and then see where it all shakes out. If there is interest, I'd do it again. The three systems represent coordinating with 14-15 companies to get everything in, auditioned, and written about. And I still have other reviews to finish.

But yes, alternatives of a different sort would be helpful, I agree.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Look forward to the ongoing project Jeff :)

Was one of the aspects I loved about TWBAS, it is about both the end result and importantly the process-experience reaching that.

Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing