The new audiophile vinyl series The Original Source from Deutsche Grammophon (AAA)

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
I revisited the Steinberg Zarathustra with the TETuner app on my iPhone. It insists that the lowest frequency in the opening is 16,4 Hz. Impressive and unexpected.

I have appx 6 dB attenuation total at 15 Hz from vinyl in my system.

Last edited:

GrumpyPatzer

Jan 12, 2024
UK
i just bought this. thanks.

i know it's a digital recording, but i'm so happy with the Original Source sound that i'm giving these the benefit of the doubt. and i want to encourage this direction for classical vinyl.
That‘s pretty much why I will order this Giulini set, too. It seems that it is being produced by the people, Emil Berliner Studios, who are doing the Original Source series so, despite being a digital recording, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to suppose that they will make it sound excellent. And, in any event, of these three CMG performances, I only have the 8th (in digital form only), so I”ll be more than happy to have them on LP.

(Not that I really *need* another Bruckner 7th or 9th, but that’s a different discussion ….)

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

GrumpyPatzer

Jan 12, 2024
UK
Should I be excited about this release? Life can be so stressful, I never know when I can allow myself the luxury of being excited.
That’s a good question and (at the risk of revealing my Bruckner obsession) one that I can’t resist answering ….

Short answer: yes, absolutely!

In my very humble, amateur opinion, Karajan is the master when it comes to Bruckner symphonies. Of course, there are many other conductors who understand and perform Bruckner beautifully, too, and some wonderful recordings of individual symphonies — but if I had to choose a single cycle, it would be Karajan’s, without a shadow of a doubt. The fact that these albums date from the period when the BPO was arguably at its absolute peak doesn’t hurt, either.

In any event, and assuming that I manage to obtain the set when it’s available, I shall be glad to have the Karajan recordings on LPs that aren’t just a little bit worn …

Andrew

PS. Given where your question appeared in this thread, I’m assuming that you were referring to the prematurely announced Karajan set. If you weren’t, my apologies.

Reactions: Al M.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Excellent, thanks GP.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Do the 1st prints and it's 2nd edition pressings sound any different?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
That‘s pretty much why I will order this Giulini set, too. It seems that it is being produced by the people, Emil Berliner Studios, who are doing the Original Source series so, despite being a digital recording, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to suppose that they will make it sound excellent. And, in any event, of these three CMG performances, I only have the 8th (in digital form only), so I”ll be more than happy to have them on LP.

(Not that I really *need* another Bruckner 7th or 9th, but that’s a different discussion ….)

The Giulini/VPO Bruckner 9 is my favorite interpretation of the symphony, even though there are a number of excellent ones, Karajan's included, of course.

The sound on CD is excellent; the sound of the massed violins on this recording, especially in the "song theme" complex of the Adagio (3rd mvmt), is a reference sound for a friend of mine and myself.

I am sure the LP will sound excellent as well.

Reactions: No Regrets

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Westlake Village, CA, USA
The Giulini/VPO Bruckner 9 is my favorite interpretation of the symphony, even though there are a number of excellent ones, Karajan's included, of course.

The sound on CD is excellent; the sound of the massed violins on this recording, especially in the "song theme" complex of the Adagio (3rd mvmt), is a reference sound for a friend of mine and myself.

I am sure the LP will sound excellent as well.
A bunch of the new DG Original Source albums now on Amazon for pre order. Of course after i ordered mine from DG with the shipping fees

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
A bunch of the new DG Original Source albums now on Amazon for pre order. Of course after i ordered mine from DG with the shipping fees

Thanks for that info. Available as pre-order also on Elusive Disc since a few weeks ago. They and Amazon also have the William Steinberg & BSO 3-LP set and some others that show as sold-out at DG.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Gaaaah! Is DG going to be getting all my money now? :oops:;):D

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Of course after i ordered mine from DG with the shipping fees
Me too. But the Zarathustra was not on the DG site when I pre-ordered, so I did that one at least from Amazon.

Reactions: Lxgreen

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
I ended up cancelling my iMusic order of the big Bruckner box. I bought the 4-9 set from Presto as a 24/192 download for less than 1/10 of the price. Heretical, I know.

Michael S.

Mar 7, 2023
Germany
I ended up cancelling my iMusic order of the big Bruckner box. I bought the 4-9 set from Presto as a 24/192 download for less than 1/10 of the price. Heretical, I know.
Hello, I did not order it too. I have several complete cycles and have ordered the Giulini box of the symphonies 7-9.

Reactions: Kjetil

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Just dropped my card on the big Bruckner set. These reissues have really reminded me of my love for vinyl, I can't stop now.

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Westlake Village, CA, USA
Just dropped my card on the big Bruckner set. These reissues have really reminded me of my love for vinyl, I can't stop now.
received the Steinberg set today. Comes in nice box for the three albums. Listening to Zarathustra now and very impressed with the dynamics and sq. There is the opening low bass that I don’t think I ever heard before since probably only heard on the radio previously. Certainly bone rattling!

Attachments

• IMG_0417.jpeg
    IMG_0417.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Reactions: tima and oldvinyl

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
received the Steinberg set today. Comes in nice box for the three albums. Listening to Zarathustra now and very impressed with the dynamics and sq. There is the opening low bass that I don’t think I ever heard before since probably only heard on the radio previously. Certainly bone rattling!

Mine came today as well; ordered back in February. I am happy to have it as the Steinberg set sold out quickly at DG, but Elusive Disc came through. I have to clean the three and will play tomorrow. That opening low bass at 32.703 Hz, is a double low C delivered by contrabass bassoons, double bass, and an organ with ,iirc, a 16 foot pipe. You feel the fundamental and hear the harmonics. :D

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
I and others have measured one octave below in-room. I guess that’s the long pipe.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I and others have measured one octave below in-room. I guess that’s the long pipe.

I was looking at the score for Thus Sprach Zarathustra.

If the Steinberg was recorded in Boston Symphony Hall, as best I can tell it is at least possible that a 16Hz organ note was played as that hall's Aeolian-Skinner organ has a 32' pitch Bombarde pipe. Apparently not uncommon.

Is that a phone app? What speakers did you use to take your measurement?

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
TE Tuner for iPhone.
My speakers are bespoke, with two small boxes with two Beyma 12” in each for frequencies below 45 Hz.
Boston Symphony Hall is correct. I find it astonishing that they’ve put 16,4 Hz on an LP. I didn’t believe my ears so I measured. It sure makes visitors here say What! too.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing