The new audiophile vinyl series The Original Source from Deutsche Grammophon (AAA)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Have had some Bruckner 7 compares, also the special issue Haitink and the Jochum on DGG out in this pic. Also have the Klemperer in mono

will have to try the TOS

48CBAA67-4858-4698-B80C-1F02A78EFCCF.jpeg

Michael S.

Mar 7, 2023
Germany
'this' being what? The Bruckner box? thnx.
Yes, the Bruckner box. Mark Ward said on another forum that the Bruckner "I'm afraid jpc announced this VERY prematurely, and the relevant page will be taken down. This was not supposed to go public this early. Hell, they're still in the early stages of doing the mixing/mastering."

Sorry, I didn't quote it in the right way.

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Yes, the Bruckner box. Mark Ward said on another forum that the Bruckner "I'm afraid jpc announced this VERY prematurely, and the relevant page will be taken down. This was not supposed to go public this early. Hell, they're still in the early stages of doing the mixing/mastering."

Okay, but it's cool to know it's coming.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
I’ll pass on it. Today I’m streaming Bamberg/Hrusa’s 4 cd set of no. 4. That’s my Bruckner!

Reactions: Michael S.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

Thank you for the information, JPC already closed the window. Hopefully my already placed order will be processed in August.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Should I be excited about this release? Life can be so stressful, I never know when I can allow myself the luxury of being excited.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
It is Bruckner's bi-centenary year which is an opportunity for Bruckner fans. There is also the DG 6 LP half-speed mastered box set of Giulini conducting Bruckner Symphonies 7, 8 and 9. Scheduled for release this June. If you do vinyl and like Bruckner, this probably won't last long.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
It is Bruckner's bi-centenary year which is an opportunity for Bruckner fans. There is also the DG 6 LP half-speed mastered box set of Giulini conducting Bruckner Symphonies 7, 8 and 9. Scheduled for release this June. If you do vinyl and like Bruckner, this probably won't last long.

The Giulini/Vienna Philharmonic Bruckner 9 is my favorite interpretation of the symphony and an amazing recording. But it's a digital recording, as are probably 7 and 8. I therefore don't see the point of the LP, very much unlike the fully analog TOS LPs.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
The Giulini/Vienna Philharmonic Bruckner 9 is my favorite interpretation of the symphony and an amazing recording. But it's a digital recording, as are probably 7 and 8. I therefore don't see the point of the LP, very much unlike the fully analog TOS LPs.

For me, the point of that LP box set is to listen to Giulini/VPO perform these three Bruckner symphonies.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Maybe this is already mentioned ...

Elusive Disc and Acoustic Sounds offer pre-order purchase of the ... is it 3rd or 4th TOS release ... Abbado Tchaikovsky 4th, the Karajan Tod und Verklarung/ Vier letzte Lieder at $39.99 each, and the Steinberg/Boston 3 LP box set at $174.99. Elusive Disc says delivery begins 4-12-2024.

DG says the Steinberg box is sold out and you cannot order it from them. These offerings in the US -- if indeed there will be stock -- are what might be the last opportunity to acquire them, and at 'decent' prices.

There was some snafu early on with European pricing and sales of the Steinberg box. It was offered initially at €134.45. I placed an order for it at that price with jpc.de. After 2 weeks, they said my order was canceled because "currently not available" even though they had it still listed as in-stock for I believe ~ €159 or more (?). That was unhappy behavior on their part, imo and I canceled my entire order which included the Abbado and von Karajan. They still have the Abbado and von Karajan offerings for €59.99.

I hope Elusive Disc comes through. They are now preferred by me to Acoustic Sounds who will not take paypal for pre-orders nor give free shipping over a certain dollar amount of order for pre-orders.

Imo, threads like this one are v. helpful to we record buyers for information on which sellers are doing what for how much at what availability.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: Lxgreen

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

i just bought this. thanks.

i know it's a digital recording, but i'm so happy with the Original Source sound that i'm giving these the benefit of the doubt. and i want to encourage this direction for classical vinyl.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Is the big Bruckner set scheduled for later in the year going to include these symphonies? Or are these additional? (I know they're different performances).

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Is the big Bruckner set scheduled for later in the year going to include these symphonies? Or are these additional? (I know they're different performances).

If by 'these symphonies' you mean Bruckner's 7th, 8th and 9th, then yes the big box set of Bruckner's complete symphonies will include those with different peformances.

As noted, since this is B's 200th anniversary year, we will see an uptick in Bruckner releases, most of them will be on CD.

Here is what I suspect is a boutique release on LP and CD of Bruckner's Symphony 7 from Haitink and the Netherlands Radio Philharmonic Orchestra. On Challenge Records which is a Dutch label The CD was released in 2021. I'm guessing the LP is new, not showing up on discogs. This is not the Concertgebouw.

This won't last long.

Reactions: Michael S.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thanks Tim, I'll wait for the complete set later on.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
If by 'these symphonies' you mean Bruckner's 7th, 8th and 9th, then yes the big box set of Bruckner's complete symphonies will include those with different peformances.

As noted, since this is B's 200th anniversary year, we will see an uptick in Bruckner releases, most of them will be on CD.

Here is what I suspect is a boutique release on LP and CD of Bruckner's Symphony 7 from Haitink and the Netherlands Radio Philharmonic Orchestra. On Challenge Records which is a Dutch label The CD was released in 2021. I'm guessing the LP is new, not showing up on discogs. This is not the Concertgebouw.

This won't last long.
ordered. should have it Thursday.

thank you.

Reactions: tima

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing