The Missing Music

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Well, turns out the Metallica remastered CD arrived and its an SHM-CD remastered in Japan with half-English, half-Japanese and those Obi things...cool. And the album is GREAT. Am I buying more Metallica? Honestly, I don't think so. I have so many genres of music I prefer more...lets' face it...after nearly 1800 albums with NO METAL, I finally got O-N-E. But its a good album, and my wife was amused from her college days so that too is fun.

Lloyd,

Glad you like Metallica. I'm disappointed...my son hangs with the metalheads at Berklee and I was going to recommend Meshugah, Cannibal Corpse, Dying Fetus and Periphery ;). BTW, if you are ever in Chicago, worth checking out Kuma's http://www.kumascorner.com/ for a metal burger experience...they sell vinyl.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Here is a favorite metal band I like to play at shows.

asema.jpg

Aesma Daeva: Eros of Frigid Beauty, Root of all Evil Records (out of print), for those of you who remember Earl Root, he named the label after himself.

CD only, but nicely recorded. I usually play track 4 for demos. Takes people off guard, as this is a classical metal band. I have seen them do a very nice version of Queen of the Night by Mozart at shows; the singer trained at the Boston Conservatory.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Hey Ralph,

I remember that you were brave enough to demo with "Their Satanic Majesties Request" at RMAF a few years back ;)!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Country music is underrepresented at audio shows. I like these for music and sonics:

Jamey Johnson "That Lonesome Road"

Kacey Musgraves "Same Trailer, Different Park"

Eilen Jewell "Queen of the Minor Key"

If you want to go old school....
Johnny Cash "The Fabulous", Columbia 6-eye mono, 1959

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Country music is underrepresented at audio shows. I like these for music and sonics:

Jamey Johnson "That Lonesome Road"

Kacey Musgraves "Same Trailer, Different Park"

Eilen Jewell "Queen of the Minor Key"

If you want to go old school....
Johnny Cash "The Fabulous", Columbia 6-eye mono, 1959

Thanks, Mark. I picked up the Jamey Johnson after you recommended it and demo it pretty often to good response at shows.

Another album "country-ish" album that I demo often is this one by Susan Tedeschi

Susan Tedeschi.jpg

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com

View attachment 16779

Aesma Daeva: Eros of Frigid Beauty, Root of all Evil Records (out of print), for those of you who remember Earl Root, he named the label after himself.

CD only, but nicely recorded. I usually play track 4 for demos. Takes people off guard, as this is a classical metal band. I have seen them do a very nice version of Queen of the Night by Mozart at shows; the singer trained at the Boston Conservatory.

I used to sell their CDs. Didn't Earl Root pass away? I believe the vocalist went on to sing with Therion.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

View attachment 16779

How does this compare with their other albums? On amazon I can hear their thalassa mixes and Here Lies One... but not this album.

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I picked up this album the other day Roy Buchanan, A Street Called Straight, Very well recorded and a master Guitar player he may of had a his demons and it comes thru in a good way in the music. A great late night record last song first side Caruso think you will like it.

Edit I will add it is Atlantic SD 18170 Pressed in Canada

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Amina Alaoui / Arco Iris. ECM 2180.

Pure. Simple. Stunning.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
I used to sell their CDs. Didn't Earl Root pass away? I believe the vocalist went on to sing with Therion.

Earl died of non-Hodgekin's lymphoma about 6 years ago. Melissa went to Atlantis- the one that is with Therion is Lori Lewis- she sang on the 4th and later albums.

How does this compare with their other albums? On amazon I can hear their thalassa mixes and Here Lies One... but not this album.

The Eros of Frigid Beauty and the New Athens Ethos are my favorites.
Here Lies the One is OK.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Eros of Frigid Beauty and the New Athens Ethos are my favorites.
Here Lies the One is OK.

Thanks! I also like the Thalassa Mixes but have to wait to find it on CD second hand. I ordered the Here Lies and look forward to it.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Danger Mouse and Daniel Luppi, "Rome"
220px-Danger_Mouse_&_Daniele_Luppi_-_Rome.png

Danger Mouse and Daniel Luppi collaborated over 5 years on their homage to spaghetti western soundtracks. How many albums feature Jack White and Norah Jones? IMO, this is Norah Jones' finest work (other than in the movie "Ted" ;)). Very nicely recorded using vintage equipment.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...The Eros of Frigid Beauty and the New Athens Ethos are my favorites.
Here Lies the One is OK.

Eros of Frigid has landed! I liked Here Lies...but so far Eros is quite cool, and I am initially inclined to agree...I like it better so far. Thanks!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing