The Missing Music

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
My favourite music genre, progressive rock, is remarkably absent from reviews. Other than the occasional Pink Floyd, I only remember Art Dudley mentioning, ONCE, a King Crimson album. A shame, really, as even though the recording quality is not generally fantastic, prog is usually very rich sonically, with lots of instruments and layering.

There's a new remix series coming out in hi-res (so far only on physical media, either DVD or BD), produced/engineered by Steve Wilson. So far they've done a lot of the medallions, Yes, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, and even XTC. All tastefully done, with more punch and separation between the instruments.

alexandre

Do you know if these remasters are going to be available on RBCD as well? I'd be interested in all of the above, but particularly in getting decent masters of the Tull material. The Crimso stuff is very listenable IMO.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I'll play :D

I also feel that reviewers, dealers and (I suspect) designers use way too narrow a range of music. As you said, Metallica And Justice For All is a challenge for many 2 Ch systems. The garage-band sound has some particular challenges to power delivery that I suspect is a cause for some thinness of sound in the upper bass. Heavy, short-cycle reverb can tax the power supply caps at exactly the frequency that the time-constant of some of the larger capacitors being used. (See Don's thread on power supply simulation to understand.)

Here's the latest of my "challenge albums". If you haven't heard it, you deserve to. Good production values, well recorded, dynamic, and challenging. Good music too!! If AJFA is "garage metal", Going To Hell is "girl metal".

View attachment 16732

Another album that would challenge a reviewer's system is the hard-to-classify Trioscapes. May be I will call it "jazz metal" from now on.

View attachment 16733

I'm not a metal fan, but they've got a hot female singer performing in Goth lingerie. If they're any good I'm surprised they're not huge.

Tim

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Do you know if these remasters are going to be available on RBCD as well? I'd be interested in all of the above, but particularly in getting decent masters of the Tull material. The Crimso stuff is very listenable IMO.

Tim
It's all available on CD also if you wish; often cheaper too.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Opeth "Damnation"

3899dfe821816fbcb3db3e3b23f81585_S.jpg

Swedish metal band, semi-umplugged. Extraordinary musicianship and songwriting. The original recording on Koch is one of the best recordings I own.

If you want Opeth in all their electric glory, "Still LIfe" is extremely well recorded but difficult to get your hands on an original

fc1da7257992fc36032e11db3df7a664_S.jpg

A/C "Back In Black" if you are old school....

Funk seems underrepresented as demo music. I use the following:

Dazz Band "Let It Whip" for Keep It Live
R-150-603675-1321340784.jpg

Prince "Erotic City", B side of Let's Go Crazy 12" 45rpm single (NSFW)
41IXaCfOBrL__AA160_.jpg

Prince "Let's Work", Controversy

Cameo "Word Up", Word Up
51KGRF+NCeL__SY300_.jpg

Last edited:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Funk seems underrepresented as demo music. I use the following:

Dazz Band "Let It Whip" for Keep It Live
View attachment 16736

Prince "Erotic City", B side of Let's Go Crazy 12" 45rpm single (NSFW)
View attachment 16737

I've demo'ed with Theme from Shaft numerous times. The best sounding version might be on the Thorens 125th anniversary vinyl, with the 12" single by Stax coming in a close second.

One demo I've done (and won't do again because I've never ever seen a room clear out so fast) was Stylistics Heavy. Good album for review and design though - it sounds pretty terrible until the system is right.

Heavy.jpg

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I'm not a metal fan, but they've got a hot female singer performing in Goth lingerie. If they're any good I'm surprised they're not huge.

Tim

They are pretty huge - just not among audiophiles. They toured with Guns 'n Roses, Evanescence and Marilyn Mason.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
King Crimson
alexandre
A few yrs ago I picked up the DVDA's of Red, Discipline, Islands, ITWOP and ITCOTCK thru the box set for the title. I also have the jp K2HD's.

Last edited:

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I believe there's a lot of music that goes unmentioned. I was sort of inspired by Gary Koh. Not that Gary would agree with my music preferences.:D

Other than the usual suspects, which albums do you want reviewers to listen to when reviewing gear? I'll kick it off:

Metallica, And Justice For All

Music used in my last 5 reviews:

Punch Brothers: Antifogmatic
Peter Gabriel: New Blood (24/48)
Joan Osborne: Love & Hate & Little Wild One
Led Zep I, II, II (96 Khz remasters)
Jack White Lazaretto
Pink Floyd: 20th Anniv Division Bell (96 Khz remaster)
Felipe De La Rosa: Flamenco Fever! (192 Khz & DSD needle drop)
Gino D'Auri: Flamenco Mystico
Coldplay: Ghost Stories
Smoke Fairies: Smoke Fairies
Stravinsky: Conducts Stravinsky-Le Sacre Du Printemps (7.5 IPS reel)
Nick Cave: Push the Sky Away
Pink Martini; Get Happy!
Chicago: II (96 Khz remaster)
Donovan: Greatest Hits (7.5 IPS reel)
Justin Currie: Lower Reaches
Van Morrison: His Band and Street Choir (192 Khz remaster)
Joan Baez: One Day At a Time (7.5 IPS reel)
Jack Bruce: Silver Rails
Maggie Bjorklund: Coming Home

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Andre beat me to the Jack White punch! These two White Stripes LPs will test dynamics:

Icky Thump

220px-The_White_Stripes_Icky_Thumb.jpg

Elephant

220px-Elephant,_The_White_Stripes.jpg

hifitommy

what i want the reviewers to be listening to and reporting on is music that first is good. then well recorded as actually most is. then a good array of vinyl (of all types including the two disc 45rpm releases which i don't usually buy myself, DTDs, and conventional), cd, sacd, dvda, bd, and of course-open reel tape (not that i can afford the tape project products). and there is enough music out there to keep it changed up in styles and types.

common CDs like fleetwood mac's rumours can sometimes show you something on a component such as happened to me fairly recently. listening on a speaker that utilizes an air motion transformer that can be crossed over to the woofage at 500 Hz, i heard guitar inflections and dynamic expression thereof that i just had never heard on that piece before in the hundreds of times i must have listened to it.

then there is midnight sugar by tsuoshi yamamoto that i first heard on rbcd and much later i bought the cisco release of two 45rpm vinyl discs. the piano transients that were entirely capable of knocking you off the couch proved to be even better on the LPs than the cd which was damned good to begin with.

i have some specific picks but i will leave that to the reviewers for now. oopsy, i almost forgot, the hirez downloads are superlative if costly (for me).

Last edited:

dingus

Mar 22, 2013
Graham, WA
i've really been enjoying the latest from Beck, Morning Phase. beautifully recorded and engineered (imo), and i think a good choice to illuminate the low end performance of a system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing