The marriage of Audio and Video-It's long overdue

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I've been thinking about this for sometime. Why should waste one of the senses in trying to create the the illusion of real music. I should not have to close my eyes or listen in the dark to do. I should be able to watch the performers .How hard can it be?

Instead of of introducing another redundant format, that's where the high end should be headed. If video can develop surround sound, audio can develop audio/video.

Blu-ray concert discs are another step toward this end. As the technology and techniques mature, I believe we'll see better approximations of "happening in front of you" experiences.

Lee

You could add 3-D video and get even closer!

I think the issue here traditionally has been business related. Demand for concert videos has always been very lukewarm. People can't copy them and take it with them. Some have done cd+DVD combos but that adds cost and it is not clear it has added to the sales potential.

Personally I really enjoy video with audio if the latter is not compromised (which tends to occur many times in live concerts).

With the new 3D video we could have a truly realistic reproduction.

I've been buying some Blueray concerts to serve that purpose, still far from what I expect in terms of availability but improving.

Opera and ballet Blu-ray discs are excellent examples. Static concerts are another matter and few are worth the video. The Crossroads 2010 is one success, imho.

Kal

Attention makes everything better

You could add 3-D video and get even closer!

I think the issue here traditionally has been business related. Demand for concert videos has always been very lukewarm. People can't copy them and take it with them. Some have done cd+DVD combos but that adds cost and it is not clear it has added to the sales potential.

Personally I really enjoy video with audio if the latter is not compromised (which tends to occur many times in live concerts).

I disagree Amir! The audio accompanied on Blu-ray discs is of very high calibre and often-times outshines the video in comparison. More often than not, Blu-rays will include a DTS HDMA , Dolby True HD and/or a PCM 2.0 (but rarely PCM 5.1) soundtrack.

John

I've been buying some Blueray concerts to serve that purpose, still far from what I expect in terms of availability but improving.

What are you looking for? I ask as there are hundreds and hundreds and Bu-ray concerts available.

John

Opera and ballet Blu-ray discs are excellent examples. Static concerts are another matter and few are worth the video. The Crossroads 2010 is one success, imho.

Kal

Check out Stevie Wonder: Live At Last for another to add to Crossroads 2010.

John

I disagree Amir! The audio accompanied on Blu-ray discs is of very high calibre and often-times outshines the video in comparison. More often than not, Blu-rays will include a DTS HDMA , Dolby True HD and/or a PCM 2.0 (but rarely PCM 5.1) soundtrack.

John

Hey... a few years ago it wasn't the case. Audio was an afterthought. We do audio for games also and some of the first games we did we had to knock some of the audio down to 8-bit so it would fit on the disc while the video portion took up to 95% of the space. But... when it came time for an explosion, blast or something dramatic... hey .. they wanted 16-24 bit files for those!! Got to get your priorities straight
Blu-ray has made it much easier for the audio engineer now... except that they want 3D and 4k video! Geez...where does it end!!!

Check out Stevie Wonder: Live At Last for another to add to Crossroads 2010.

John
Mebbe. Mebbe not. I have not found a pop performer who can keep my interest for an entire concert, live or recorded, at least not in the last 25 years. Perhaps that is one reason why Crossroads works for me.

Kal

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing