The Linn Exakt system and the future of high end audio.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
FWIW, I heard the Exakt system at Definitive Audio's Music Matters last year.

They used a Linn Akurate Exakt DSM and Akurate Exact-Akubarik loudspeakers. Frankly I wasn't impressed. The worst sound of the night was Devialet's Phantom presentation, but if they hadn't been there, I would have rated Linn's demonstration the worst and this is from an owner of Klimax gear (at the time). Best sound of the night was ARC gear with the new Wilson Sabrina speakers and it wasn't even close.

Here's Stereophile's report on the event http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-absolutely-matters-definitive-audio

Interesting how the sound of a system can vary so much from room to room and from dealer to dealer. Obviously the set up at Alma audio was done correctly and with some thought as to how to optimize the sound for the room.
While the system that I heard that night wouldn't be in the top ten that I have heard, nonetheless it made music and was impressive for what it accomplished with a digital feed. I have heard much much worse- and from gear that is far more expensive.
I do think that one cannot judge a system or gear from just one exposure to its sound in a specific event. Much better to take the gear home and listen at one's leisure to the music that you are used to and in your own room, IMHO.

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Interesting how the sound of a system can vary so much from room to room and from dealer to dealer. Obviously the set up at Alma audio was done correctly and with some thought as to how to optimize the sound for the room.
While the system that I heard that night wouldn't be in the top ten that I have heard, nonetheless it made music and was impressive for what it accomplished with a digital feed. I have heard much much worse- and from gear that is far more expensive.
I do think that one cannot judge a system or gear from just one exposure to its sound in a specific event. Much better to take the gear home and listen at one's leisure to the music that you are used to and in your own room, IMHO.

Well, if the selling point of the Exakt system is that it can make any room sound good, then I would certainly hope that they optimized the sound for the show using the Exakt system. Otherwise what's the point? We were in a small room & had prime seats and it didn't sound good at all. Now compare this to the ARC/Wilson room where there were probably 8-10 rows of seats and I was in the next to last row towards the wall and it sounded great. In both cases I wasn't familiar with the music, so that wasn't a limiting factor.

I agree that we probably can't judge a system or gear from just one exposure, but given what I heard, it didn't make me want to hear the Exakt system again.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing