The King's Speech

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My wife and I were finally able to see this movie yesterday and boy does it deliver. No doubt in my mind that this will garner many Oscar nominations including
1. Best Picture
2. Best Actor- Colin Firth
3. Best Supporting Actor-Geoffrey Rush
4. Best Supporting Actress-Helena Bonham Carter
5. Best Director-Tom Hooper
This is a story based on historic fact, specifically the speech impediment (stammering) of the future king of England (George Vl) after his older brother abdicates the throne because of his love and marriage to twice divorced Wallis Simpson. It highlights the possible causes of his stammering but this is all moot because it is how he was treated that is the beauty of this film.

I must admit that this was one part of history that I never knew about as well as all of the help that the future king received from his Harley Street speech therapist played by Geoffrey Rush.This is acting at its absolute best and truth be known, both Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush gave such amazing portrayals that the film was a joy to watch and IMO either or both were deserving of Best Actor but hopefully Best Actor and Best Supporting as in the former way only one can win whereas in the latter both can and both are deserving of the Oscar. Both are simply amazing actors. The film is just under 2 hours and will thoroughly entertain.

The interactions between the King and his therapist is absolutely wonderful and in the ending credits it became known that only did these two men remain friends for the rest of their lives but also his speech therapist remained by his side for all speeches he gave whilst king.

For those craving a film that finally will garner Academy attention, IMO this one will be hard to beat.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm hoping to find some time this week to see it. This is my type of movie, and the trailors have certainly whetted my appetite!

John

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Saw this last night and it is an outstanding movie. Definitely deserves the praise it is receiving. Wonderful subtext exploring the idea of duty...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I am going to see True Grit this afternoon as IMO this is the only one of 2010 releases that I haven't seen that could be a contender. If so I will give my top 5 for the year. I have 4 so far and my favorite is obviously in that group

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I am going to see True Grit this afternoon as IMO this is the only one of 2010 releases that I haven't seen that could be a contender. If so I will give my top 5 for the year. I have 4 so far and my favorite is obviously in that group

The King's Speech sounds great. I want to see True Grit too. Jeff Bridges really seems to be hitting his stride here late in life. If you haven't seen it, make sure you see Crazy Heart. Great script, great performances. Good music if you like country. Odd thing. Our rock n roll movies are usually pretty cheesy, but America seems to be developing a tradition of killer dramatic films built around country music -- Coal Miner's Daughter, Tender Mercies, Walk The Line, now Crazy Heart. Every one of them a fine dramatic film.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I just followed your link to The King's Speech. What a cast!

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Finally bought this movie! Great deal at Walmart in Canada for $10.

Loved it, loved it, loved it! This is a movie that will get repeated plays in the years to come.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I knew you would John

I love historical adaptations, sagas, etc......

At first Steve I thought it was a comedy (well, not really), but it really set a good tone for the movie. I also learned a bit more about the British Royal Family, which I've always enjoyed learning about.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Wal-Mart Canada has had some really good deals this last year, and Best Buy as well. Just saw Ghandi and A Passage To India for $9.00 there.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Wal-Mart appears to be on a path to clear out their DVDs to make room for more BDs (much higher profit margin).

On topic: I did not expect to really like the movie and bought it because my wife wanted it. She and my older son saw it in the theater and said it was pretty good (wife more enthusiastically than son, natch). However, I found myself getting involved and really enjoying the movie. It is not the type I would watch over and over, but I thought it was a really good movie and am very glad I bought it.

FWIWFM - Don

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
John,
You were lucky - here is is still selling at around usd 30!
Can I ask your opinion about the quality of the recording of Beethoven 7th Allegretto in the DVD ? When I saw it at the theater it sounded great.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing