The High Fidelity Report has published an article of mine on New York Reunion.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I do love that album!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I do love that album!

It was a talented ensemble. I got to see McCoy live many, many times before and after that session. Never heard a bad performance or song. For a while he played with Avery Sharpe at Sweet Basil which was near my old apartment in the West Village. I spent a lot of money on drinks there. :)

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Nicely done!

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
This is my first article for them and it recounts a reunion of some old friends in New York. I hope you enjoy it.

http://thehighfidelityreport.com/new-york-reunion/

I have the LP and RBCD and its a fine recording. the article states they ran analog tape and digital side by side, i'm assuming the vinyl was cut from analog tape. did you guys compare the play back of both and was there a consensus on which had better SQ?

PS I re-read the part you used analog tape for the SACD so I assume it was the better of the two.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Lee,

Very enjoyable article. I can not resist quoting you "I had been buying loads of Chesky CDs at Singer in part because I liked the Latin jazz and in part because my system was not very good at the time and they sounded so wonderful anyway. " I have had exactly the same opinion on Chesky CDs - they sound wonderful, even in mismatched systems, and because of it are inappropriate for the diagnostic phase of tuning a system. But once the system is in tune they can sound exceptional. Although it is not my preferred version for interpretation, in the adequate system and room, their edition of the Beethoven Symphony no. 9 can sound more life like than any other recording I have heard of this piece.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I have the LP and RBCD and its a fine recording. the article states they ran analog tape and digital side by side, i'm assuming the vinyl was cut from analog tape. did you guys compare the play back of both and was there a consensus on which had better SQ?

PS I re-read the part you used analog tape for the SACD so I assume it was the better of the two.

FYI..it is available at HDTracks as a 96/24 DL as well.

http://www.hdtracks.com/new-york-reunion-129011

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
FYI..it is available at HDTracks as a 96/24 DL as well.

http://www.hdtracks.com/new-york-reunion-129011

ok but I have the vinyl why would I want the 96/24 DL? I just got a used vinyl copy a few weeks ago and the dynamic swings can startle the listener unexpectedly like a good D2D recording - no compression here. its the ideal trifecta of musicianship, recording quality and accessible music.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
ok but I have the vinyl why would I want the 96/24 DL? I just got a used vinyl copy a few weeks ago and the dynamic swings can startle the listener unexpectedly like a good D2D recording - no compression here. its the ideal trifecta of musicianship, recording quality and accessible music.

errr.. to offer another format..to any none that was interested. It sounds excellent.:)

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

I believe the SACD was the better of the two yes.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Lee,

Very enjoyable article. I can not resist quoting you "I had been buying loads of Chesky CDs at Singer in part because I liked the Latin jazz and in part because my system was not very good at the time and they sounded so wonderful anyway. " I have had exactly the same opinion on Chesky CDs - they sound wonderful, even in mismatched systems, and because of it are inappropriate for the diagnostic phase of tuning a system. But once the system is in tune they can sound exceptional. Although it is not my preferred version for interpretation, in the adequate system and room, their edition of the Beethoven Symphony no. 9 can sound more life like than any other recording I have heard of this piece.

I had started out with some rather awful Polk speakers and a set of Adcom electronics which were pretty good but the speakers kept blowing tweeters as they did in the day. I had bought the system from I believe Chestnut Audio in Philly..? So I started around Singer and buying some CDs while dreaming about Krell gear and things like Hales speakers. While I saved up for a better system I bought a lot of CDs. So I hope I did not imply that Singer was the root of the system problems. Ironically I soon bought my Maggie IIIas from Lyric and the sound got much better. I later added ARC gear.

As for a diagnostic tool, their second test CD which I worked on (I shook a "rain stick" on one of the tracks) can be helpful as it has things that are more diagnostic in nature. But more often I use a familiar CD for testing.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
No worries Pure..Nothing against vinyl! I am format neutral! Anyway, for sure a great record.

By the way Andre, I really liked the Alice Gold recommendation on your list. Thanks for turning me on to her. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing