The Dark Knightmare: It's bottom-numbingly long

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
My wife actually wanted to see this movie. We went in Santa Cruz. Nice smaller theater, real film with judder, scratches and bubbles, it was cool, like a nice old vinyl record.

We both liked it a lot, good ending to the Bale batman series.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I have to say I agree with the review Steve posted. The Dark Knight Rises was a mediocre, costly to produce film.

I should say that we supposedly had about the best viewing of The Dark Knight Rises that one could have. We saw it at the Lincoln Square IMAX in NYC. The largest IMAX in the northeast.

The soundtrack was bass heavy and boomy, a common complaint in many theaters, the explosions were ridiculous. Real explosions have a loud crack and a very brief low frequency rumble due to the pressure wave of the explosion. They don't have long drawn out low frequency rumbles. Neither do assault rifles.

In a fictional work, despite the fact that you know it is a fantasy, there has to be enough reality to enable the viewer to "buy into the fantasy." Even in the Star Trek movies (which I like) and the Star Wars movies (which I didn't like) you can buy into the fantasy of space travel and science fiction. The Dark Knight Rises completely lacked that. In the Chris Nolan trilogy, Batman Begins and Dark Knight were FAR superior movies. The other superior Batman movies were Batman 1989 and Batman Returns 1992.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I liked it.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I don't understand the "too long" criticism. How can there be too much total awesomeness? Next up? Will the Bourne series make it through the transition to a new main character and still be the best spy/action series in decades? My fingers are crossed.

Tim

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I also didn't find it too long. I thought it was quite good. It seems that Christopher Nolan can do no wrong. I've enjoyed all of the movies he's done that I have seen. I did find it interesting that he used about half the cast of Inception in this one.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I also didn't find it too long. I thought it was quite good. It seems that Christopher Nolan can do no wrong. I've enjoyed all of the movies he's done that I have seen. I did find it interesting that he used about half the cast of Inception in this one.

I remember when Inception was in theaters and a common criticism was "it's a lot like The Matrix." That would be bad because.....? A lot like The Matrix revolutions? That would be bad.

Tim

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---The collaboration between film directors, actors, producers,
and movie studio executives is what makes it all click. :b ...And music composers.

At the end a film is as good as its actors/actresses as the story told by the directional artistic hand of its creator. Yeah?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
My son and I saw it at Cinerama yesterday. We both thought it was very good. I agree with the review that Steve posted...it took a while to get going. IMO, it falls short of the Dark Knight because the themes were delivered with a sledgehammer, but still a very good movie.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I didn't notice the length, either, thought it was a nice ride. I prefer to have the themes developed over a longer movie rather than edited truncation. I have a hunch that they thought about making a "twofer" ending sequel, but made it one movie, instead. Look for the four hour "director's cut??"

I wish I could have my spine dislocated and be in fighting trim two months later. They rolled back the super hero stuff a bit to make him a vulnerable figure subject to wear and tear.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
My son and I just saw it again tonight. Even the second time it didn't feel long. This has been, up to the end, my favorite modern movie franchise this side of Lord of the Rings. I hope Nolan stays with it through the transition to the new Batman (or will he be Nightwing?) :). If he does, it may last a couple more movies at this quality level. If the studios just take over, it'll get very lame very fast. This one was one artist's vision of an old American legend, and it was the best version of it to date, IMO. Hate to see it go.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing