The Dark Knightmare: It's bottom-numbingly long

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thank heavens for the negative reviews. It usually means I'll enjoy the movie more due to the lowered expectations. My pet peeve with comic book adaptations has always been the corruption of the original mythos set by the graphic novels. In this case, Frank Miller's series. I'm hoping this one at least stays mostly true as the first two films did.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
There does appear to be a number of reviewers stating "The Dark Knight Rises" is not up to Nolan's previous Batman series and is too long. But overall Rotten Tomatoes currently rates it 86% which seams to indicate quite a few professional reviewers like the film. This is one of those films I'll consider going to the theater to see rather than waiting for the blu-ray. Though Steve's post title seems to indicate 2:45 may be hard to endure with this movie:(.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have gotten to the point where a lot of big Hollywood action movies are of no interest. Not that i'm a film snob. I just find them boring. I've seen enough car chases, shoot-outs, cardboard love interests, and thin plots to last through this lifetime, and the next. For example, while I admired some of the special effects and stunt work in the latest Mission Impossible, I found the movie boring. The first Batman with Christian Bale was awfully good, because it drew on the history of what made the character, and had alot more to interest me than simply a fight between the hero and villain, both of whom are basically cartoons. (I thought Gary Oldman, who is a great actor, was under utilized, but the role was limiting). The one with Heath Ledger was a total snooze, I thought its primary attraction was his untimely death.
I'm not against stupid. Just make it interesting. The original John Woo 'The Killer' was completely over the top, but great fun.
And these days, I'd rather spend my time watching good drama. I was greatly disappointed by Tinker Tailor- just too slow, despite the cast (sorta predicable, because Le Carre is not exactly a thriller writer, it's mostly mental and very Anglo-centric). I thought the Ghost Writer was an example of a very well done film which still had interest as a thriller. Ditto, The Good Shepard, which , while long, had wonderful stuff going on. I could continue, but you get the gist. I think these Hollywood spectaculars are meant to appeal at a very dumbed down level, so it doesn't surprise me that this one's a dog.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I agree Hollywood caters far to much to the action film genre - often without much of a storyline. I also agree the first Nolan/Batman film was superior to the second film, but that's often the case with sequels and trilogies - although there have been some exceptions (e.g.; The Godfather). We actually find many foreign films far superior to American movies in terms of storyline and character development.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
---What a devastating human tragedy early this morning in Colorado!

Agreed. I stayed away from it because i didn't want to get into a political or social dicusssion over movies, violence in the US, etc. I figured it was better to just confine myself to the merits of the film itself, which, if i see it at all, will likely be at home, for the simple reason that there are few movies that would make me want to go to the trouble of shlepping to the theatre, and putting up with talkers, questionable sound in multiplexes, etc.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
--- This very very sad tragedy will certainly stop many moviegoers of going to see this movie right now. It will have a tremendous impact in the heart and mind of many Americans, and in the people's heart from all over the world.

I am not in the mood of any audio or music or movie posting myself right now.
I am a very sensitive human being, and all the events of innocent crime's victims in the world make my heart bleeding profusely.
So much killing, so many innocent dead people, and it's going on for so long.

It is also very dark at the United World Nations! That has a tremendous effect in people all over the world.
If our world rulers cannot make peace, how can you expect it from our citizens!

If it keeps going like this, I believe we are at the brink of the worst human cataclysm ever in our world.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'll buy it on Blu-ray once it hits the $10 or less bins.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I'll buy it on Blu-ray once it hits the $10 or less bins.

You can download it for free! ...Probably tomorrow or the day after.
Upsampled to 1080p/60fps, and with fully compressed DD 5.1 (448 kHz) surround sound.

But the Blu is still better picture and sound quality (hi def & hi res).
And I will get the Blu, 2D and 3D.

P.S. FOR EVERYONE (not you John): It is illegal to download movies and music for free, so do it at your own risk.
I don't encourage anyone in the pursuit of any illegal activity.
Please, pay the price for the product, just like I do myself.
And don't make a copy of that CD or DVD from the library, even for your own personal usage.
>>> Pay the artist, and the recording label or movie studio.

The world we now live in is in deep chaos; please try to restore order.
Thank you for your understanding.

*** For the ones who cannot live in peace (not you John): Please, don't spy on others, or search for the devil, because you won't find it; it don't exist outside of your own mind!

Last edited:

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
It's flawed and overbearing at times, but it legitimately epic storytelling. See it in IMAX if you can.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Just saw it with my son and while the first half may be slow and boring the second half was action packed which resembles a Die Hard kind of stuff. My approach to 'fiction' movies is to sit back and try to be entertained. And I was. Anne Hathaway as Catwoman is good casting. Luscious, mischievous and she can be both good and bad. :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Text message from my chiropractor: Don't 4get to take ur wallet out of ur back pocket while wtching Batman. :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I love the escapism that movies of comic-book heroes provide, but I'm also getting tired of it. All these sequels and reboots is just a reminder that Hollywood has either lost it's creative edge or is only interested in capturing the 13-25yr old market.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Text message from my chiropractor: Don't 4get to take ur wallet out of ur back pocket while wtching Batman. :D

Jack, I always sit in the aisle. Then I can slide slide left and side right, to relieve my back. If you have those lumbar cushions for cars, it wouldn't hurt to bring them. :D For some reasons, I didn't feel the 'length' of the movie. :)

Last edited:

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
I loved the movie. At the beginning of the closing credits, people clapped and started hooting a bit. Video quality of the IMAX theater was simply incredible. Have not been that visually impressed since Avatar. I am a huge fan of this series and was definitely bummed by the early reviews. But like someone said before, perhaps they lowered my expectations enough for me to love it more. Movie gave me goosebumps twice.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I loved the movie. At the beginning of the closing credits, people clapped and started hooting a bit. Video quality of the IMAX theater was simply incredible. Have not been that visually impressed since Avatar. I am a huge fan of this series and was definitely bummed by the early reviews.

I would have loved to see this on IMAX. When I arrived at the ticket counter at 12.50pm the girl told me that all theatres (2 or 3 of them) have been sold out for the entire afternoon and night! Shocked, as I have never encountered this, I told her she's got to be kidding. She then whispered to me that if I want to catch the 1pm screening, I should go to Cinema 2 and buy tickets at the door. Even more surprised, I did, only to find out that it's a charity screening sponsored by some college students for a little more and I took 2 tickets. Inside were all young students and your comment about clapping and hooting was exactly what happened to our cinema here. Towards the end, they clapped and hooted also and at the scene we pretty much know what but don't want to act as spoiler here. The musical score was awesome. It's a good thing I didn't read the reviews first. There were many times good friends gave me bad reviews of movies which I thoroughly enjoyed, and vice-versa. :)

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I love the escapism that movies of comic-book heroes provide, but I'm also getting tired of it. All these sequels and reboots is just a reminder that Hollywood has either lost it's creative edge or is only interested in capturing the 13-25yr old market.

They're interesting in capturing the contents of their wallets first and foremost. The prospect of same is the driving force behind all reboots and sequels.

Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing