The Beatles - vinyl from digital "masters"

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I knew the story about these records before I bought Revolver. I didn't have a good copy of that record and thought I'd check out what the sound quality was myself, without taking a stance on digital v analog. I'm reporting what I heard, and what another listener- a non-audiophile who has serious music cred heard- based on a single listen. I'll play the record again and see if my views change. We report, you decide :)

No worries. No issues with your reporting.

Kudos to Mikey for reporting what he heard too..again..I wonder how different the report would have been if
the provenance was not revealed.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i did finally buy this set, just to have it. i have three other Beatles vinyl box sets and many misc pressings. i have the two digital boxes and the 24 bit files this set is based on too.

i have to be in the right mood these days to do comparisons; i just want to listen to music mostly.

if/when i get around to comparing i'll report.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Be interested to get Mike's take. I just gave up, after searching for tube cut UK pressings, EMI 'one box,' the odd German Odeon, etc. and bought a Blue Box. It appears to be in superb condition, and the seller claimed that none of the vinyl was played, it certainly looked that way. I checked some of the label script against the info over on the SH site, and it appears to be a first series of the set from the UK. I'm gonna run some of these babies through the cleaning machine and start listening, hopefully later tonite. I think I'll start at the beginning.
When I get to Revolver, I can compare to the new reissues, that's the only one of those I bought.
Given the advice earlier in this thread that the single album MoFi's are not as good as the ones in the boxed set, I'm not sure my views about the MoFi stuff will merit much, since I only have single albums of Abbey Road and the White Album on MoFi ( which I bought new back in the day).

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Bill-Consider yourself lucky. I have been telling people for years how good the blue box set is.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing