The Beatles - vinyl from digital "masters"

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I wonder how many times we can all be suckered into rebuying the Beatles collection?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
At least there is the 24/44.1 version if you were lucky enough to buy the limited edition green USB apple.

I was talking with Gary at the TAVES show and he mentioned that was the one to get.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Supposedly only 50,000 were made for world-wide distribution.

Seems pretty limited to me for a Beatles product. If it were Susie & The Banshees...well, you get the picture.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
OTOH, over 3 years later most retail outlets still have supplies of new ones

mep

Apr 20, 2010
OTOH, over 3 years later most retail outlets still have supplies of new ones

And that surprises me. It makes me wonder if they really made more than 50,000 or if the Chinese got involved.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
And that surprises me. It makes me wonder if they really made more than 50,000 or if the Chinese got involved.

It would seem trivial to clone (and I do mean a perfect clone).

mep

Apr 20, 2010
It would seem trivial to clone (and I do mean a perfect clone).

I agree which is what makes me suspicious they are still available new/sealed.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Not to beat a dead thread, but I got one of the new vinyl reissues- Revolver- which Fremer touted as pretty good sounding among those in the set. It was not warped or badly pressed, but sounded sterile. One of my listeners today is a very well known musician, and we had just finished listening to that killer 88 Basie St 45 (alright, an unfair comparison perhaps). He said, unsolicited, 'it sounds just like the CD reissue I have.'
I'll give it another go, but if this album reflects better than average sonics from the set, it is only worth having if you don't have a copy at all. Not worth the trouble, or even the 22 bucks.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Not to beat a dead thread, but I got one of the new vinyl reissues- Revolver- which Fremer touted as pretty good sounding among those in the set. It was not warped or badly pressed, but sounded sterile. One of my listeners today is a very well known musician, and we had just finished listening to that killer 88 Basie St 45 (alright, an unfair comparison perhaps). He said, unsolicited, 'it sounds just like the CD reissue I have.'
I'll give it another go, but if this album reflects better than average sonics from the set, it is only worth having if you don't have a copy at all. Not worth the trouble, or even the 22 bucks.

This is exactly as I would expect.

The LP's are cut from the 44.1/24 bit USB stick...running through a $1000 Benchmark DAC...to a cutting machine,

No, it won't sound like the CD reissue...but WORSE...

I will Mikey credit..he did not crow on about how much more "organic" and "authentic" these LPs are.

I would LOVE to see what he would have written if he was never told the source and methodology.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
This is exactly as I would expect.

The LP's are cut from the 44.1/24 bit USB stick...running through a $1000 Benchmark DAC...to a cutting machine,

No, it won't sound like the CD reissue...but WORSE...

Didn't you say

Correction. The 24/192 archives were Eq'd and prepared for the LPs, then downsampled to 24/96. This is a fact.

There are a couple of albums for which I don't have a good copy, and I've been thinking of picking up one or two of the new vinyls - even if they were from a digital master.

I have a number of fabulous LP that were recorded in digital, so I'm not pedantic about digital vs analog.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Didn't you say

There are a couple of albums for which I don't have a good copy, and I've been thinking of picking up one or two of the new vinyls - even if they were from a digital master.

I have a number of fabulous LP that were recorded in digital, so I'm not pedantic about digital vs analog.

I got 24/96 statement DIRECTLY from Micheal Fremer. He was told this by some stooge at Abbey Road. Until
he heard from the REAL engineer in charge. You can hear the phone interview he recorded on the Analog Planet
site.

Michael himself was utterly stunned when he heard the real story (44.1/24 bit>Benchmark DAC)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Didn't you say

BTW, Neil Gader from TAS reported the same incorrect information. He also was getting bad information from the PR people.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I got 24/96 statement DIRECTLY from Micheal Fremer. He was told this by some stooge at Abbey Road. Until
he heard from the REAL engineer in charge. You can hear the phone interview he recorded on the Analog Planet
site.

Michael himself was utterly stunned when he heard the real story (44.1/24 bit>Benchmark DAC)

Emphasis is mine .. Very interesting. I have observed the same here on WBF when a previously great LP becomes just so-so once its provenance is revealed ... think we should flat out call this as misleading or to me more appropriately a rip-off.
Back to my digital lair ...

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Emphasis is mine .. Very interesting. I have observed the same here on WBF when a previously great LP becomes just so-so once its provenance is revealed ... think we should flat out call this as misleading or to me more appropriately a rip-off.
Back to my digital lair ...

I believe an LP sourced from analog with no digital intervention can be sublime.

But I have gone on record saying that vinyl from digital masters is a farce.

Last edited:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I knew the story about these records before I bought Revolver. I didn't have a good copy of that record and thought I'd check out what the sound quality was myself, without taking a stance on digital v analog. I'm reporting what I heard, and what another listener- a non-audiophile who has serious music cred heard- based on a single listen. I'll play the record again and see if my views change. We report, you decide :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing