TechDas Air Force One

b3344

Jan 16, 2013
Khonkaen Thailand
if you have a chance . come to thailand i will buy you a beer !!!!! haha

anybody have AFO please share picture of you AFO and system haha

ps i think the new coming AF2 and AF3 will follow sx 5000 and sx 1500 feature . may be 4 arm with float and vacuum.

Attachments

• sx5000v4a+klimax.jpg
    sx5000v4a+klimax.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I could go for you buying me a beer!

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
I have to say that this massive thread (all 71 pages) is one of the most enjoyable and entertaining threads so far. After reading this, I am now convinced that the AF1 will be on a short list of turntables for a future listen. However, I will not get a tt until my main system is up and running, as the due diligence I need (for my AR issues) are far more overwhelming than what I am doing for a new monster system. I would rather research amps/preamps/speakers/cables right now than contemplate the nearly endless selections of cartridges (MM vs MC), tonearms, motor drives, phono stages....thus, after my system is set up I can focus ALL of my research energy exclusively on a turntable kit....and nothing else!!

One thing I would sure love to read about is a comparison between an AF1 and the new Walker Proscenium V. I have seen mention of comparison between the Continuum and the Rockport and others, but not much for the Walker, which is a turntable I like VERY VERY VERY much. And since the price of an AF1 is now coming right in line with the Walker, then there needs to be a serious comparison between it and other in production $100K plus turntables.

Cheers,

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have to say that this massive thread (all 71 pages) is one of the most enjoyable and entertaining threads so far. After reading this, I am now convinced that the AF1 will be on a short list of turntables for a future listen. However, I will not get a tt until my main system is up and running, as the due diligence I need (for my AR issues) are far more overwhelming than what I am doing for a new monster system. I would rather research amps/preamps/speakers/cables right now than contemplate the nearly endless selections of cartridges (MM vs MC), tonearms, motor drives, phono stages....thus, after my system is set up I can focus ALL of my research energy exclusively on a turntable kit....and nothing else!!

One thing I would sure love to read about is a comparison between an AF1 and the new Walker Proscenium V. I have seen mention of comparison between the Continuum and the Rockport and others, but not much for the Walker, which is a turntable I like VERY VERY VERY much. And since the price of an AF1 is now coming right in line with the Walker, then there needs to be a serious comparison between it and other in production $100K plus turntables.

Cheers,

That's pretty heady territory. Perhaps there will be some direct comparisons of the AF1 with the Walker by J. Valin and with the Continuum by M Fremer. I don't know if many owners will have such an opportunity.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That's pretty heady territory. Perhaps there will be some direct comparisons of the AF1 with the Walker by J. Valin and with the Continuum by M Fremer. I don't know if many owners will have such an opportunity.

Actually I think Peter Breuniger could also do-or has done-such as comparison. There's a couple of guys down his way that own AF-1s and I think Peter has the Walker. Peter (also Fremer), while we're talking about ultimate tables, had the Onedof table in house also (http://onedof.com/excerpts-reviews). And I think he tried it with some pretty good arms including the Kuzma 4pt and new Ikeda arms. And let's not while we're at it, forget the NVS table either.

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM

I would rather hear JV's opinion on a listening session between the two than Fremer's....I seem to remember that some bad blood developed between Lloyd Walker and Fremer over the Proscenium (due to a supposed lack of understanding of how it worked) many years ago....I also seem to remember whenever Fremer talks about great turntables, he never mentions Walker...

Also, on Peter's website and his feature of great audio systems, he features a person's setup that has the Walker....Peter, would you mind offering impressions since you have heard the Walker in one system and the AF1 in the other system?? Not exactly apples to apples....

Cheers,

Cheers,

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I was the first reviewer to review the Walker (in TAS). I helped Lloyd design the motor sled and was the first to try reel tape on the table (Lloyd liked silk, I liked reel 1/4" tape).

It's a great table and all top level tables sound very good, there is no way to compare a (discontinued) Continuum with a Walker, there are too many variables. I hate to shoot the messenger but the magic is in the set up, the AFO vs. the Walker? One minute VTA or azimuth difference and the test is invalid. I've been at this for 30 years and with tables it's about the look and the touch points and ownership pride at these levels. Then add in the equipment rack/vibraplane/HRS, you name it... each one will sound different on each table. Stick to what you like, what looks good in your room, what has the support of the manufacturer and what has less to go wrong with it. Try getting parts for a Goldmund.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
When I had my VPI HRX, putting air into the bladders every few weeks was a royal PITA as they used to leak at different rates.

I hope the TechDas is a bit more stable and user friendly when "airing" up every few weeks.

I decided to use my Luxman PD555 with no pump, just a heavy disc puck gets me almost there.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
I hate to shoot the messenger but the magic is in the set up, the AFO vs. the Walker? One minute VTA or azimuth difference and the test is invalid.

Been there, observed that!

Peter has a valid (no pun intended) point. I wouldn't call it an invalid test but I would call it possibly being skewed to one side or the other. It is all too easy to make one table outperform the other with simple setup manipulation or even listener preference settings. I've seen it done in dealerships, audio shows, and in-home auditions or "shootouts."

That being said, there are quite a few turntables that perform exceptionally well...

Dre

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
But isn't an extension of Peter's point also that Walker has achieved what he has in part precisely because he (Walker) does the installations of his turntable? I haven't kept up with all the variations on the original Walker table, but I have to believe having the manufacturer set it up consistent with his his design makes a significant difference; I say that without detracting from Walker's table or any of the others at this level.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
But isn't an extension of Peter's point also that Walker has achieved what he has in part precisely because he (Walker) does the installations of his turntable? I haven't kept up with all the variations on the original Walker table, but I have to believe having the manufacturer set it up consistent with his his design makes a significant difference; I say that without detracting from Walker's table or any of the others at this level.

Hi Bill,

I can't speak for Lloyd but installation is part of the purchase price. I think, depending on where you are in the world, you get Lloyd and Fred or a trained dealer just like most other turntable purchases from a dealer. Of course I think a Walker purchaser can always get Lloyd and Fred even outside of the norm if one is willing to pay for it. That's the initial table setup though.

Once the table is setup and the owner has to (or wants to) change cartridges they have a choice. They can do it themselves or have someone else do it. At this point, regardless of which table was purchased and setup, we are past what I would consider the cost if the initial investment and installation was. At this point, I think the playing field is leveled and there is equal opportunity for what Peter mentions above.

Dre

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

If I was spending that much money, I'd damn well expect the manufacturer to set it up!

Same goes for ultra speakers too (or a very good dealer).

b3344

Jan 16, 2013
Khonkaen Thailand
Good Turntable should be User friendly . hifi it just a toy for man .(us) should not to complex for set up and should easy to play

let see some turntable that make thing like a Tamiya car kit !!! can play , can upgrade , can modify a lot of part , can beauty it up. user friendly.

this kit 20-30 old and I'm sure that this will be master plan for AF 3 !!! so i very enjoy this 1500 kit

Attachments

• 1500-hs.jpg
    1500-hs.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 495
  • 1500a.jpg
    1500a.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 496
  • my 1500 part.jpg
    my 1500 part.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 496

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Wow! You have it all!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The only hassle is the supplied air pump and its lock. If you don't fit it right you will be expending a LOT of useless effort. Fit correctly and locked pumping air is easy. If you find yourself growing your biceps that means you haven't locked in the nozzle correctly. Unlock, insert, lock, pump. ;)

The new air piston feet require 1.5 pumps from flat to get to the height adjustment line. Hardly any effort required. Here is a solution to the tight pump to valve fit. Schrader valve extender...
http://www.amazon.com/Victor-M8838-...06009&sr=8-6&keywords=schrader+valve+extender

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing