TechDAS Air Force 2

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Jack - make the dust cover locally because it would cost way too much to have one shipped. If you would like, I will do a design for you. This is the one I designed for myself for my Roksan turntable - the AF1 and AF2 will need larger, but the design should be essentially the same. Cut on a CNC machine, using the good stuff (HMWA), it ended up costing me nearly $800 for one. But making a run of them for all your customers wouldn't cost much more than for just the first one as most of the cost went to the CNC machine programming and set-up.

View attachment 17561

The open corners also means that it won't boom if you play with the cover on.

Great design Gary - it looks very stylish. The handles are really well integrated in the cover and match the simplicity of it.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
We have the AFO covers and that's what goes on them when not in use for extended periods like when we go on business trips or vacations. I use the platter covers when I'm alternating between sources. I switch back and forth between digital and LP. Jim (yes David it's Jim's room not mine) between LP and Tape. I'm crossing my fingers but at least all family members and household staff are 200% carty trained :D

We have a really good guy who works with acrylics Gary. He did my HRX cover for me way back when. I should have had one made for the TW.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Great design Gary - it looks very stylish. The handles are really well integrated in the cover and match the simplicity of it.

Thanks, micro. I am a fan of getting proportions correct.

Jack - I sent the design to you via email. If you've got a guy who does acrylics, it should be an easy job. Scale up and down if you have larger/smaller turntables.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks, micro. I am a fan of getting proportions correct.

Jack - I sent the design to you via email. If you've got a guy who does acrylics, it should be an easy job. Scale up and down if you have larger/smaller turntables.

Thanks Gary! Much appreciated!

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Is that the new TechDas tonearm? :b

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi TechDAS doesn't make tonearms :)

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Hi TechDAS doesn't make tonearms :)

Isn't this out of respect for Graham being the US distributor? I thought I had read that Nishikawa-san was interesting in making another tonearm. I would certainly be interested especially if it were higher mass.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That's correct. I asked him directly and he said he has no plans whatsoever of designing a new tonearm because of the reverse. He is Bob's distributor in Japan.

jpetek

Feb 12, 2013
The German Magazine "LP" says that there is no sonic difference between the One and the Two. How is your experience?

Josef

Altanpsx

Sep 10, 2014
Last year in Munich I asked the same question, what is the difference between af1 and af2 to Nishikawa-san, and he(Motofumi-san) replied,

"Basicly no difference"

Af1 and Af2 were in different rooms, also they matched with completely different systems, different tonearms and cartridges. As far as I understand with these two completely different(price points, performance level) systems, af2 is sufficent to satisfy most of the audiophiles. But when decision comes to product which price tag is 100k, not only satisfaction, also ownership, prestige ... etc are very important factors.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Last year in Munich I asked the same question, what is the difference between af1 and af2 to Nishikawa-san, and he(Motofumi-san) replied,

"Basicly no difference"

Af1 and Af2 were in different rooms, also they matched with completely different systems, different tonearms and cartridges. As far as I understand with these two completely different(price points, performance level) systems, af2 is sufficent to satisfy most of the audiophiles. But when decision comes to product which price tag is 100k, not only satisfaction, also ownership, prestige ... etc are very important factors.

Isn't there an Af0 in the works? If so, what are the anticipated sonic improvements? Surely there will not be just aesthetic differences.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The only time I've ever hear the 1 and 2 side by side with the same cart and electronics (not arm) was in the Tokyo show. I would be lying if I said I could tell the difference. I'm pretty sure if I had them in my own system for a while I could spot some. It probably wouldn't be easy but I'm sure I could. I have a very quiet room and a system with bass output past what my phonic can measure.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The only time I've ever hear the 1 and 2 side by side with the same cart and electronics (not arm) was in the Tokyo show. I would be lying if I said I could tell the difference. I'm pretty sure if I had them in my own system for a while I could spot some. It probably wouldn't be easy but I'm sure I could. I have a very quiet room and a system with bass output past what my phonic can measure.

There is a distinct sound difference easy to hear on the AF1 by switching out the upper platter from aluminum to stainless steel. If I had an AF2 side by side with my AF1, I am sure I could tell the difference.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have 2 upper platters too so I'm pretty sure as well.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
There is a distinct sound difference easy to hear on the AF1 by switching out the upper platter from aluminum to stainless steel. If I had an AF2 side by side with my AF1, I am sure I could tell the difference.

May be the system/room employed did not have the resolution to show up the difference between AF1 and AF2? I completely agree with rockitman that it is easy to hear the difference between two AF1 platters. Heck, I could hear the difference between having the motor cover on and off with the AF1 (even though this I totally did not expect). On the AF1 I had experience with (prototype suspension) you can even hear the difference when using different racks under the HRS platform provided.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Did they actually have the two side by side in the German review? It's easy to make any two identical turntables with identical *everything else* sound different. The only thing I'm sure of is that you can tap on a playing record with both and not hear your tapping through the loudspeakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing