Tech Das Air Force One....auditionedThe very long thread against the cream of decks

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
The "technology" used in the design of the VPI motor was derived from military use.

Remember all those days after "Star Wars" was eliminated and military contractors scrambled to find civilian uses for their technologies? Same machining technologies later lead the the improved machining, say in turntable bearings and platters and air bearing arm tolerances.

Thanks for clarification. From your post #35 above this one I took it that the motor itself "comes out of the US Navy submarine service". So, now my understanding is that some part of the machining or manufacturing or specification or piece of the motor component benefits from military trickle-down technology. Is that a safe understanding of your comment?

Dre

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The "technology" used in the design of the VPI motor was derived from military use.

Remember all those days after "Star Wars" was eliminated and military contractors scrambled to find civilian uses for their technologies? Same machining technologies later lead the the improved machining, say in turntable bearings and platters and air bearing arm tolerances.

Star Wars technology was designed to shoot down enemy ballistic missiles in space. Although this was never achieved during Ronald Regan's presidency, Star Wars is alive and well now thanks to advances to the Aegis SPY-1 radar and the array of missiles we have available to shoot. In case anyone has been asleep, we have several Aegis Destroyers parked off the coast of North Korea just in case they shoot a ballistic missile that we happen not to like the trajectory of. The U.S. tries to control the export of our bearing technology because of its military applications, but I don't see how any of this plays into VPI's new table and submarine/Star Wars technology.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Star Wars technology was designed to shoot down enemy ballistic missiles in space. Although this was never achieved during Ronald Regan's presidency, Star Wars is alive and well now thanks to advances to the Aegis SPY-1 radar and the array of missiles we have available to shoot. In case anyone has been asleep, we have several Aegis Destroyers parked off the coast of North Korea just in case they shoot a ballistic missile that we happen not to like the trajectory of. The U.S. tries to control the export of our bearing technology because of its military applications, but I don't see how any of this plays into VPI's new table and submarine/Star Wars technology.

Because the ultra-precision machining and manufacturing that went into the military hardware enterprise became available to ordinary and even high-end companies. Machinists were desparate for work. To wit, and don't know if Alan Sliski is here, but his company developed and miniaturized x-ray machine for the treatment of cancer derived from the research into x-ray lasers.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks for clarification. From your post #35 above this one I took it that the motor itself "comes out of the US Navy submarine service". So, now my understanding is that some part of the machining or manufacturing or specification or piece of the motor component benefits from military trickle-down technology. Is that a safe understanding of your comment?

Dre

Yes :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing