Taiko Audio XDMS - Extreme Direct Music Server Software

Reactions: Steve Williams
  • Love
Reactions: John T
Sound quality is numero uno but functionality is important too. Things like gapless, scrubbing, and library navigation are valuable to me too.

Reactions: Steve Williams
Totally agree No argument here but in spite of that I find no deterrents to me sitting down to listen. At the present it truly satisfies my needs
Sound quality is numero uno but functionality is important too. Things like gapless, scrubbing, and library navigation are valuable to me too.
Sit vis nobiscum

For me with my listening habits and how I discover new music too many bumps in the road. Functionality has to be smooth. I want effortless. I may jump back to compare whatever it may be. I may play the same piece in a row from two different artists, and this might be a spontaneous thing. I don't want to be mucking about. When I get into a groove, and everything is sounding right, I don't want any obstacles...

I changed back from XDMS to Roon, in order to prepare for the, initially, Roon only Olympus. For me it is a difficult pill to swallow. XDMS is so much better. I hope Taiko does not take too many months to have an Olympus XDMS.
I am just back from Munich High End

Roon Server running on Olympus sounds so incredibly good, no Olympus Owner will be disappointed.

The leap in the quantity and quality of audio information being delivered by Olympus is jaw dropping. We were being congratulated by turntable manufacturers about the level of sonic realism achieved by Olympus, it's that good

In my system Roon sounds as good as XDMS and right now its functionality is more developed than XDMS. Of course, I expect both will likely change over time.

I am just back from Munich High End

Roon Server running on Olympus sounds so incredibly good, no Olympus Owner will be disappointed.

The leap in the quantity and quality of audio information being delivered by Olympus is jaw dropping. We were being congratulated by turntable manufacturers about the level of sonic realism achieved by Olympus, it's that good
Dear Ed, best customer service person ever! It was great to meet you in person in Munich!

I went to all four rooms that had the Taiko Olympus, and liked the sound of all of them. I am sure I will not be disappointed with my Olympus running Roon.

My point is that, at least for the Extreme, in my system, XDMS is more realistic and musical, so I hope that whatever XDMS does better than Roon, it becomes available to Olympus sooner rather than later, so we can have this additional improvement or part of it (if not as big as with xdms in the Extreme) running Olympus xdms.

Cheers

Dear Ed, best customer service person ever! It was great to meet you in person in Munich!

I went to all four rooms that had the Taiko Olympus, and liked the sound of all of them. I am sure I will not be disappointed with my Olympus running Roon.

My point is that, at least for the Extreme, in my system, XDMS is more realistic and musical, so I hope that whatever XDMS does better than Roon, it becomes available to Olympus sooner rather than later, so we can have this additional improvement or part of it (if not as big as with xdms in the Extreme) running Olympus xdms.

Cheers

I would not expect much of a difference between the two on the Olympus with XDMI. The Olympus / XDMI driver/firmware/hardware stack incorporates solutions addressing the differences in SQ between playback software suites. A good example is zero difference between the numerous Roon builds released over the past year on Olympus / XDMI prototypes. I would expect more of a functional / interface difference with perhaps a minor different sound signature at best. Progress akin to the disappearance of the local file playback advantage. Naturally effort could be spend in finding new ways to increase sound quality in playback software running on the Olympus, but that would then be an entirely new architecture, that will not come fast for sure. The XDMS design efforts are now focussed on creating a 100% rock solid user experience, once that is accomplished the team can focus on a new architecture for Olympus applications.

I would not expect much of a difference between the two on the Olympus with XDMI. The Olympus / XDMI driver/firmware/hardware stack incorporates solutions addressing the differences in SQ between playback software suites. A good example is zero difference between the numerous Roon builds released over the past year on Olympus / XDMI prototypes. I would expect more of a functional / interface difference with perhaps a minor different sound signature at best. Progress akin to the disappearance of the local file playback advantage. Naturally effort could be spend in finding new ways to increase sound quality in playback software running on the Olympus, but that would then be an entirely new architecture, that will not come fast for sure. The XDMS design efforts are now focussed on creating a 100% rock solid user experience, once that is accomplished the team can focus on a new architecture for Olympus applications.
I hope less difference doesn’t mean that less sensitive of improvement. I believe to make some things equally means to compromise with something.

The fun thing with audio is looking for an improvement and excitement even just a little.

I hope less difference doesn’t mean that less sensitive of improvement. I believe to make some things equally means to compromise with something.

The fun thing with audio is looking for an improvement and excitement even just a little.

I don’t think the word “compromise” is in the Taiko vocabulary. The message here is that they have made many improvements on the hardware side to mitigate any of the sound issues inherent with digital playback.

I don’t think the word “compromise” is in the Taiko vocabulary. The message here is that they have made many improvements on the hardware side to mitigate any of the sound issues inherent with digital playback.
That’s great! As I know, if do some upgrades inside the unit, the improvement should benefit both streaming and local file at the same time.

From my experience, If Roon and XDMS make no different in SQ, then I think the overall system is reaching its limit or something else in the system limits the improvement.

When the system reaching a certain level, it should be very sensitive.

I AM very excited for my Olympus with XDMI.

BTW - just thought I'd ask here...

If you own an Extreme flight case, and do not need it for some reason, give me a shout on DM. I was fixing to buy one...

Looking for a Extreme flight case as well.. I have the pre-flight case. If anyone is willing to get rid off, please let me know - Thanks

I have the same issue - no flight case. How are we supposed to make sure this doesn’t get damaged on its way back to The Netherlands?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing