TAD CR1 vs R1

ciamara

Dec 3, 2010
Sorry this is off-topic, but while at RMAF this past weekend, I had a meeting with Andrew Jones (the chief engineer at TAD, who designed the CR1s, R1s and E1s). As mentioned before, and this now confirms it, there is no material change to the sonic performance of the CR1 and R1 speakers. The only reason for the "Mk2" designation is to identify the slight differences in color between the prior and new woofer cones. As a reminder, this difference in color is due to shifting production from China to Japan. No sonic changes were made to the cone.

Why the "Mk2" designation?
Since TAD is part of a large organization with specific inventory management rules, it was not possible to use serial numbers to differentiate between speakers. The Mk2 designation was the only way to signify the change in their ERP and inventory systems.

What about that Japanese press release?
There was a press release issued in Japan, which was a bit misleading. Because of the way it was worded, one might interpret the Mk2's as new and "improved," but that is not the case.

I think this closes the case! I have asked TAD to post an official communication on their website, and hopefully that will happen in the near future. Happy listening everyone! The CR1s and R1s still sound amazing ... but of course, I am biased. I love TAD.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thanks Sanjay,

I heard the same thing from another member. Awesome!

PS What's your preferred amplification for TAD speakers?

ciamara

Dec 3, 2010
Preferred amplification ... good question. If budget is a concern, the TAD M2500 is a very good match for the CR1s. The TAD M600s are awesome. But my very favorite is the Viola Bravo II. We used that at the NYAV Show in April (2012) with CR1s, and we recently set up a couple of systems with TAD R1s with dual Viola Bravo II's. TAD and Viola are a match made in heaven.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Preferred amplification ... good question. If budget is a concern, the TAD M2500 is a very good match for the CR1s. The TAD M600s are awesome. But my very favorite is the Viola Bravo II. We used that at the NYAV Show in April (2012) with CR1s, and we recently set up a couple of systems with TAD R1s with dual Viola Bravo II's. TAD and Viola are a match made in heaven.

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to come visit after the new year. I appreciate it.

ciamara

Dec 3, 2010
My pleasure, and I look forward to meeting you!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
41712weiss2.jpg

ciamara

Dec 3, 2010
Cables ... a key question! We have experimented with many different kinds of cable. Copper, Silver, solid core, varistrand etc. Kimber cables are great, but if you want insanely fast and neutral cables, ZenSati is really tough to beat. I have heard Synergistic cables, and I think they are also amazing, but hard to manage (they are thick, unwieldy and require wall warts). ZenSati cables seem to us to be an incredible match for TAD and Viola. We are re-cabling the entire showroom with ZenSati this month.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Is a big difference between Tad E1 and Pioneer/Tad s1EX ?

woo-hooo...that is an interesting question. i did not know about the Pioneer/TAD s1ex...very curious!

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
I have not listened to the Pioneer. My dealer has it and says although very good, the E1 is better. The E 1 hI had it home for a few weeks. It is a fantastic speaker. Best I have heard in that price range. But can not give direct feedback of the Pioneer.

Alexis

Mar 3, 2013
Considering that the performance of my R1 are incredible high..
Regarding the mk2 issue, i read this on another forum:

"Friday afternoon I did a quick trip across to the Sydney HiFI show and a demo of the CR with full TAD electronics by one of senior guys (other than Andrew Jones) from TAD (the gentleman is often seen running the demo's in Japan and was terrific).

Needless to say the sound was GOOD.

Afterwards I got a chance for a brief chat and I asked was it a CR Mk1 or Mk2 and (talking partially through an interpreter so I apologise if I misunderstood at all) he mentioned that they had tried to get a Mk2 pair for the show but just missed out on production and that he seemed quite excited about the prospect of the Mk2, that the woofer has greater thickness without added mass and that it measures similarly and (as I understood it) sounds in some ways better... it is hard to imagine that it could be too much faster or more pleasing than the Mk1s as I heard them but that seems to be a possibility... have to say his enthusiasm was palpable and really great to see. What a great company."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing