TAD CR1 vs R1

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Hi all,

my first port here. Another member game good references of this place to gather and share info on TAD among others, and after following for a while I have to agree and have decided to post.

i have been on the market for a while now searching for boxes. Have listened to quite a few, like Wilson Maxx, SF Aida, Magico Q5, ML CLX, B&W Nautilus, and some others. Not too long ago my dealer told me he wanted me to listen to TAD speakers and brought me the new E1. I was reticent since it was not what I had in mind but agreed. I did like it a lot and after long listening at home I think is a great speaker and for the asking price I have not heard better.

However I decided to pass and gathering info here and there decided to give a try to the CR1s, since they had great reviews and more importantly, owners and other aficionados spoke great things of them.

Since then, I have had them in my house twice and currently another new pair is in my system. My dealer has told me to listen to them for a couple of weeks and to take my time. If I like them i keep them and if not I just return them...

I have to day that from the first time I heard them I knew they were great. More than that. They actually were, to my taste the best of all that I had tried or listen so far, in my search for a new pair. I am not going to go into detail since most of you already know quite well how they sound. Just have to agree with most of the things I have read. Yes, they are neutral, transparent, of a richness of tone that is impressive, and great bass and dynamics in absolute terms, moreover considering the size.

I am wondering how they may compare to the big R1. I have not read much, or quite as much as the CR1. Actually haven't seen any owner posting. Can anyone with experience with both speaker give some feedback as how do they compare? Also what would you say the minimum room size for them would be? I know they are very large speakers, but given the concentric MF/HF and the controlled bass, maybe you do not need that big of a room to make them work fine. My room is not too large, but I had the B&W 800Di, which are also quite big and they worked fine, so maybe the R1s will also be ok.

My room is around 30 sqm. and actually is a square... is 5,7 X 5,5 and 2,45 meters high. It is a dedicated room and I have it ste up across the diagonal. Despite the shape, the diagonal set up works nice and it sounds quite well.

If I could have all that the CR1s give, but with a bit more punch and bass extension, and some bigger dynamics it would be the perfect box. NOt that the CR1 is not good there, but being used to big boxes I could use just a bit more of it. But If I had to choose I would not want to give up all the rest that the CR1 s does so uniquely. Hoping the R1 is that. But on the other hand, I may find that the R1 is too big and actually sounds worst than the CR1s, which is fantastic anyhow. This is a speaker set that I intend to have for a long time, and so I want to get it right and can either go for the CR1s or for the R1s.

I wold appreciate your views and opinions, and if yo are familiar with the big R1s, please let me know how they sound and specially how they compare to the CR1s. And also very interested in listening position, and how far you seat form speakers, and distance between them and form different walls.

Thanks in advance
Eli

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Eli,

thanks for posting. I have not heard any TADs...but there are 2 places where i have read about the R1s. The first was a shoot-out in Europe done around 5 years ago...Alexandria, TAD Ref Ones, Grand Utopia, SF Strads, Thiel 7, and 1 or 2 others. Alexandria and Ref One seemed largely to come out on top. On Audiogon, you likely will have seen a number of comments about that Shoot-out plus a few other comments elsewhere.

My takeaway from those descriptions is that the Ref One is a competitor for the Alexandria...better or not could not say...but i suspect that helps initially address your question about whether they can present like a 'big box'. Sounds like they can. And based on the resources behind TAD, and the feedback on the CR1...that does not surprise me.

Not particularly helpful since again i have not heard, but that's what i know and thought i'd pass it along. If u do hear them, naturally...please post your impressions. Good luck.

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Hi Eli, Actually I have heard both of them and made the Ref1 comparison with SF Aida couple of weeks ago. Between CR1 and Ref1 my direct choice would be Ref1 but it has to be driven with its own pre power combo. I have written in another forum topic also that It was a disappointment for me to try to drive both of them with Soulution pre-power.

On the other hand one thing that annoyed me as well on both of the speakers are the quality of finishing/assembly. I was way to much suprised when you look closer on the finishing job specifically joints and space between panels were far from what you can expect from speakers costing more than 40 K USD.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Hi Eli, Actually I have heard both of them and made the Ref1 comparison with SF Aida couple of weeks ago. Between CR1 and Ref1 my direct choice would be Ref1 but it has to be driven with its own pre power combo. I have written in another forum topic also that It was a disappointment for me to try to drive both of them with Soulution pre-power.

On the other hand one thing that annoyed me as well on both of the speakers are the quality of finishing/assembly. I was way to much suprised when you look closer on the finishing job specifically joints and space between panels were far from what you can expect from speakers costing more than 40 K USD.

Thanks Emre,

Could you please elavorate more on the dif between both of the CR1 and R1? Also did you feel the CR1 was better in some ways but overall liked more the R1 or the R1 was just better all around?

I have seen some say the R1 is more analytical and maybe cold than the CR1s? I would be a surprise since besides size, drivers are the same... Did you hear that too?

What room size you listened in and how far back were you and boxes appart (if you recall).

I also heard the Aidas. Actualy i liked better the CR1s. Aidas sound was bigger and all that, but the TAD are to my ears richer in tonality and way more transparent. Also focus better in my opinion.

Regarding finish quaility I have just checked the ones I have home and they seem to be fine from all angles. Is strange. Certainly speaker costing this much should in no case suffer of any of that.

Thanks for ay info you can share

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Thanks Lloydelee.

Yes I saw that post. It was interesting. Never heard the Alexandrias personaly, only the Maxx. I Liked the CR1s better, althoughndifferent speakers, overall If I had to pick I would go with TADs (well that I did already..). What I cant really find isna detailed and direct comprartion between the two TADS.

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Thanks Emre,

Could you please elavorate more on the dif between both of the CR1 and R1? Also did you feel the CR1 was better in some ways but overall liked more the R1 or the R1 was just better all around?

I have seen some say the R1 is more analytical and maybe cold than the CR1s? I would be a surprise since besides size, drivers are the same... Did you hear that too?
I have liked R1 main reason was overall musical presentation, low frequency definition and what brings as soundstaging and body were much much better than CR1. And I also didnot found neither analytical nor cold than CR1.

What room size you listened in and how far back were you and boxes appart (if you recall).
It was a rectangular room 4x8 metres. In one end R1 is located with TAD pre power and in the other end CR1 is located with Soulution and again with TAD pre power. CR1 was 1 meter away from the backwall whereas R1 was 1.5 meters away. CR1 was heavly toed-in whereas R1 was very slighty toe-in.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Eli, yours is a nice problem to have:b ive listened to the R1 for about an hour at a recent california show. there were at least two other exhibitors with CR1s to compare. the short answer is the R1 fulfills the promise where the CR1 falls short, primarily bass weight and extension - and its addicting! based on the size of your room and if your musical tastes includes large scale symphonic works, the R1 is a no-brainer.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
a no-brainer

I tend to think this also. The CST drive unit is the same as in the CR1 so I doubt there are any meaningful differences from 250Hz and above.

I expect the larger dual drivers to deliver what puroagave described. I would make sure to audition the R1 in your room though but given the dimensions I expect it will be staying.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Thanks Emre. That room was not that big at 32 sqm aprox. Usefull info,

Rob, yes I can think of worst problems... :). Thanks for the info. What was the size of the room you listened the R1 to? You say given my room size should be no brainer. It is not that big. In feets it is aprox 19 X 18. Do you think it will be enough based on your listening experience?

Problem is I will not have the oportunity to listen to the R1 in my place at all. Either I order it or keep the CR1 I have now...

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
it was a hotel suite, basically two put together the actual listening area was probably close to your room size. the R1s were near to the back wall, closer than i thought appropriate probably to fit more visitors, on some material the bass was a little uneven maybe exagerated and shook the room on some music. they admitted the best solution would be to bring them out into the room for a flatter response. it was impressive nonetheless.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Ok guys so I finally did it.. and ordered the R1s... I am taking delivery either tomorrow or day after, and they will remove the CR1s.

As happy as I was with the sound of the CR1s, I felt I missed some of the things only big speakers can do in terms of macro dynamics and weight of presentation. Otherwise the CR1s were perfect. Anyway, before I got into TAD, I had in mind buying a big speaker so I guess I have done something closer to my first idea... We will see. I have been assured they should work fine in my room if placing them properly. WIll keep you posted.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ok guys so I finally did it.. and ordered the R1s... I am taking delivery either tomorrow or day after, and they will remove the CR1s.

As happy as I was with the sound of the CR1s, I felt I missed some of the things only big speakers can do in terms of macro dynamics and weight of presentation. Otherwise the CR1s were perfect. Anyway, before I got into TAD, I had in mind buying a big speaker so I guess I have done something closer to my first idea... We will see. I have been assured they should work fine in my room if placing them properly. WIll keep you posted.

Congrats! pls post when they arrive and you settle in to enjoy!

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012

Nice! Very exciting... I assume your dealer will help you set them up?

Look forward to your impressions of the R1's once they have settled in, you will be in a unique position to answer your own original question as you will have spent considerable time with both models.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Thanks all.

Yes it is indeed Joost. It has been over 2 months I think listening to TAD speakrs before I made the decission... and over a year searching for new boxes. I hope I get it right finally.

I will indeed be in a good position to give feedback actually on all 3 boxes of TAD in a few weeks when the R1 start sounding as they should. Actually I think it will be quite unique in the sense of having the experience of listening to all 3 in the same system / room, and also my own which obviously I know very well. Happy to answer any question anyone may have.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Yes dealer will help... They are bringing 4 people to get them in and set them up... at 150 kilos each, I think that is a right number...

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul

Congrats Elio, R1 's are fantastic speakers...enjoy the music

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Ok guys they are in. Playing for only 3 hours and on they are. Not much I can say but... Oh my... They are HUGE,,,

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing