System for 10K that will shame $30K systems all day long!

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Not sure I like the limited time to edit posts, we all say things that we might want to change later at some point... ;)

Another system that would work well for $10k or under would be an all Odyssey system. The Stratos amp has won TAS awards for product of the year the last 2 years and they are awesome, I have one. The Kismet monitors use a Scan Speak woofer and beryllium tweeter. They take a $6700 system to shows and kill it, often being mentioned for especially good sound. "Synergy" assured as well.

http://www.odysseyaudio.com/

Awesome suggestion Dave!. Those monitors sure do look nice. I'm quite familiar with those drivers, and they're right up there with the Mundorf/Accuton's. In fact that is in my opinion one of the top 5 dome tweeters available.

But I can't help but wonder how the amp would compare with The Nord NC-500 based mono blocks with the discrete input buffers.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Another manufacturer of incredible speakers that I've been following for quite some time is Salk Sound. I don't think you can go wrong buying a single speaker from them. Their new "Silk" monitor uses a Raal tweeter with the incredible 5" Scan-Speak Illuminator mid woofer. 2 of the finest drivers in the world. It's even been called the best monitor in the world. And the price is an incredible $3595!!

http://www.salksound.com/silk - home.htm

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
And while we are on the topic of high value SOTA monitors, the list wouldn't be complete without Fritz. Another man who's been building fine speakers since 1973. Every speaker is killer.

http://www.fritzspeakers.com/sound.asp

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
What is the sensitivity of MA30?

91DB. Here's the full data sheet. You will see here why this is a very special speaker for the price:

http://www.mundorf.com/PDF/Mundorf_MA30_Catalog.pdf

And note what it says the bottom of the datasheet:

What Comes Next?
A Mundorf-Accuton bass extension for underneath MA30‘s cabinet. Due to MA30‘s bi-wiring layout it then will become a true 3-way speaker which will perform from >30Hz up to <30kHz.

There's the answer full range fans!! This has the be the best deal on speakers yet. A joint project between Accuton and Mundorf using all their top of the line parts, and engineered by the guys behind the parts! Wow is all I can say at this price point!

Seriously if I was still building passive speakers, I'd throw in the towel after seeing this kit.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
But does it sound good? I can put expensive parts in a box.

Now that I know that speakers sensitivity, I'll work on my $10k system. I might use some things you are, given that some things are no brainers, like the Gustard.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
But does it sound good? I can put expensive parts in a box.

Now that I know that speakers sensitivity, I'll work on my $10k system. I might use some things you are, given that some things are no brainers, like the Gustard.

They are insanely good. This isn't engineered by a bunch of amateurs. It's a joint project between Accuton and Mundorf. 100% designed by their engineers. Do you realize who these people are? These guys are at the very top of the heap when it comes to both driver technology, and xover technology. The best of the best. The same engineers helped design, and provided the drivers and xovers for the $480000 Marten Coltrane 2's, along with the full Marten lineup.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/marten-coltrane-supreme-2-loudspeakers/

Did you read this part on the data sheet:

Who Did The Engineering?
Of course, company Accuton’s
R&D department! They are utterly accustomed to match their drivers with Mundorf parts because Mundorf parts are Accuton’s standard labor parts ever since. More importantly, the engineers really know their drivers inside out and better than anybody else in terms of the driver‘s given pros and cons. Hence, the Accuton people are the most skilled match-makers when it comes to Accuton Ceramic drivers.

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
One thing I forgot to mention earlier is, the input buffer stage in the amp is designed so you can very easily swap out the discrete opamp's, and "tune" the sound to your tastes. Think of it as "tube rolling" but for solid state amps. There's many many different discrete opamp's that can be used with this amp, each one has it's own unique sound signature. It's just like swapping out amps entirely, as the NC500 output stages are completely transparent, they take on the sound signature of the input stage. But Colin is only advertising the use of the Burson V5's and Sparko labs. Personally I've tried more.

Between this, and the HQplayer filters, the system can be tuned to get the exact "synergy" anyone is looking for.

Don't let the mindset of "the way things used to be done" handicap you from enjoying the best way to do things today.

Embrace better ways of doing things, don't frown upon them.

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
you got lucky or are easy pleased. 95% of the things i have tried in my house have left me cold and un-intrested to the point music lost its value.
all well reviewed kit often bought along by dealers but a lot i just bought from ebay etc.

and yes some of it i kept to tweek and get used to it but this was a disaster.

musical kit is rare but its great if you cant tell the differance.

What are you using for amps?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
tried loads mike, the only 2 class D being my first hifi the quad 67cdp 66 pre and 606 amp( i think the 606 was class d). the other recently was a TAD M2500 £20k amp.

now i used modded belles two box pre and class a/b mono blocks. i like this idea of yours but for me so many things in the chain make profound difference that it would not work for ME.

most are not not fussy like me mike;)

if guys bought this system they would be happy i think, the way my senses are makes me a pain in the arse in this respect.

its not a price thing, i have fairly high priced stuff in my chain but my pre and mono blocks were reasonable. 8k each plus mods. like i said i have sent much higher priced gear packing so i totally get what your about here.
krell
audio research
tad
esoteric
naim... to name a few plus loads of cables and tweeks and room treatment and racks....
all kicked out as not musical for ME.

Colin lives in your neck of the woods. If I can get him to send you some of his mono block amps, with a few different discrete opamp's to try out, would you share your unbiased opinion on this thread?

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
OK, just for fun I am going to stick my neck out on this ...for all panel lovers like me :)
Server= $799
Hqplayer= $140 (even cheaper from member Bibo01)
Roon= $119 per year
Streamer system with fibre and all upgrades= $719.39
DAC=$799
Pair of mono block amps= $2120 (at today's exchange rate)
Speakers loaded will all options/upgrades: $2999
interconnects= $624
Speaker cables: $900
USB cable= $204

Let's try to cut some corner here and there...

Hqplayer= 86 euro through me
Streamer system with fibre and all upgrades= $90 can be saved by installing Linux Stretch for free on the onboard 4GB eMMC, instead of buying OS + usb stick
Amp= $1,439 Emotiva XPR-2
Speakers= $2,300 (1,500+800) Magnepan Mini Maggie System + 2nd DWM woofer
Speaker cables= $192 for 32 feet of Anticables unterminated
Interconnects= $322
USB cable= $80

We have saved around $2000 ! :D
Probably on cables we save even more.

I personally have the above speakers, but I use a Sanders Sound Magtech amp inherited from my previous bi-amplified MG3.6s.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
OK, just for fun I am going to stick my neck out on this ...for all panel lovers like me :)

Let's try to cut some corner here and there...

Hqplayer= 86 euro through me
Streamer system with fibre and all upgrades= $90 can be saved by installing Linux Stretch for free on the onboard 4GB eMMC, instead of buying OS + usb stick
Amp= $1,439 Emotiva XPR-2
Speakers= $2,300 (1,500+800) Magnepan Mini Maggie System + 2nd DWM woofer
Speaker cables= $192 for 32 feet of Anticables unterminated
Interconnects= $322
USB cable= $80

We have saved around $2000 ! :D
Probably on cables we save even more.

I personally have the above speakers, but I use a Sanders Sound Magtech amp inherited from my previous bi-amplified MG3.6s.

Nice suggestions! But I'm not 100% convinced this systems in the same league. But great alternative.

As far as the NAA image on Debian stretch, there's a guy on Diyaudio who did that based on my recommendation. But it's a lot more advanced procedure than burning on a stick with Rufus and popping in the unit. You also don't get the AirPlay feature. So, on a $10000 investment, I don't think the $75 is a deal breaker to have a solid system, with AirPlay, and future support as things advance. As well as setup support. For Linux gurus, or guys with a lot of time on their hands to mess around, yes maybe worth trying.

But I see buying the HQplayer from you drops the total system cost under $10k :)

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
yes but better send a pre as i belive results would be missleading else (in a bad way for the class d) . my pre is hard core, upsets some amps with its rms output.
if i try it i want to give it the best chance.

What kind out output does it have? Does your DAC have a volume control? Pre's are devices from the dark ages around my place.

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
Nice suggestions! But I'm not 100% convinced this systems in the same league. But great alternative.

As far as the NAA image on Debian stretch, there's a guy on Diyaudio who did that based on my recommendation. But it's a lot more advanced procedure than burning on a stick with Rufus and popping in the unit. You also don't get the AirPlay feature. So, on a $10000 investment, I don't think the $75 is a deal breaker to have a solid system, with AirPlay, and future support as things advance. As well as setup support. For Linux gurus, or guys with a lot of time on their hands to mess around, yes maybe worth trying.

But I see buying the HQplayer from you drops the total system cost under $10k :)

I do not see the use of AirPlay.

Anyway, with the money saved the best feature is to buy an acoustical measurement kit like this one and make a HR DRC filter to be used in HQPlayer convolver:

Now iSEMcon sells EMX-7150 mic for $346

ChrisH

Aug 25, 2015

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Northstar

I applaud the effort but find it unsatisfactory> Not enough to proclaim anything. I repeat he has not heard the system. only bits and parts. Not sure he's heard the DAC either
Anyone can come here and recommend a system and proclaim it is the greatest.. It doesn't require any particular feat of courage.

Actually, in the other thread, I proposed a passive system made up of Benchmark DAC/Pre, Benchmark Amp and small Revel speakers paired with Revel subs. Under 10k (just one quick shot; there are many other viable alternatives out there). Have I heard it? Nope. What I know is that these primary components - source, pre, amp and speakers - come from manufacturers whose goals are fidelity to the recording and quality build, who measure and test exhaustively (and whose measurements have been confirmed independently), and who make gear that plays well with others. I have no patience for builders who do otherwise, unless they readily admit that their products operate outside of accepted standards and are very forthcoming about equipment that will/will not pair well with their own (and this is extremely rare). I'll admit that I don't understand why anyone would have patience with such foolishness, though I suppose making eccentric choices, and spending a great bit of time and money finding the eccentric choices that work well enough together, is a hobby in and of itself. But it's certainly not a hobby that interests me as long as there are still great recorded performances I haven't heard. I know my opinion is not popular here, but I believe that choosing a system, unheard, based on the above criteria, is far more likely to get good results than years of audiophile gear shuffling, in search of "synergy."

Tim

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing