System for 10K that will shame $30K systems all day long!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Not entirely convinced Mike ..

I would have been more comfortable with something you or someone has heard a system. I dig you however and will test the streamer, HQ PLayer and the DAC...
Those who have been in this game for a good time seem to think the same way: A system is not the simple assembly of excellent elements... They need to work together in this imperfect world ...

Hew

Mar 21, 2014
I did.

There's not one piece of my current set that I "listened to" before purchase.

+1

There are many ways to achieve "synergy". Some audiophiles get on the component merry-go-round others research and buy good quality and tweak until it sounds great.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Not entirely convinced Mike ..

I would have been more comfortable with something you or someone has heard a system. I dig you however and will test the streamer, HQ PLayer and the DAC...
Those who have been in this game for a good time seem to think the same way: A system is not the simple assembly of excellent elements... They need to work together in this imperfect world ...

You are referring to people who have no experience with PC based DSP. Back in the days when Henry Ford came out with the model T, the horse and buggy guys were probably skeptical as well. Until they hopped behind the wheel. The rest is history :)

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Ok Blizz you win

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Ok Blizz you win

You can win too if you buy the system and try it out. Other wise we already discussed an alternative.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Ok Blizz you win

No Frantz, we all win. ...From Mike putting that system together...nobody else had the guts to put their own together...except Mike.

He has to be congratulated.

It's very easy to criticize and find deviating 'objects', but not so easy to come up with our own babel tower. :b

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
No Frantz, we all win. ...From Mike putting that system together...nobody else had the guts to put their own together...except Mike.

It's very easy to criticize and find deviating 'objects', but not so easy to come up with our own babel tower. :b

I just realized I made a mistake on the amp price. They are actually $58 cheaper. But my editing ability has been disabled. Does it work for you? Maybe it's a glitch.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I just realized I made a mistake on the amp price. They are actually $58 cheaper. But my editing ability has been disabled. Does it work for you? Maybe it's a glitch.

It seems to be a glitch right now indeed Mike...same for me; I cannot edit my posts right now. I think this is the very first time that I noticed that (you just made me aware of it).

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

Northstar

I applaud the effort but find it unsatisfactory> Not enough to proclaim anything. I repeat he has not heard the system. only bits and parts. Not sure he's heard the DAC either
Anyone can come here and recommend a system and proclaim it is the greatest.. It doesn't require any particular feat of courage.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
It seems to be a glitch right now indeed Mike...same for me; I cannot edit my posts right now. I think this is the very first time that I noticed that (you just made me aware of it).

It seem's like the ability is there for about 2 minutes, then disappears. Maybe it was just enabled? Some sites like Diyaudio are like that as well. It would be nice for this thread to have the editing ability. this way as we learn more, and experience more, the original post can be updated.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Northstar

I applaud the effort but find it unsatisfactory> Not enough to proclaim anything. I repeat he has not heard the system. only bits and parts. Not sure he's heard the DAC either
Anyone can come here and recommend a system and proclaim it is the greatest.. It doesn't require any particular feat of courage.

I only said that I feel there's no better value out there for the price I'm aware of. And even if I did hear it, what difference would it make? For all you guys know I'm deaf, or have completely different taste. You must weigh the validity of the information, and make a decision on your own. Many people are comfortable with this, and that's who this thread is for. Once we have folks validating it, maybe other's who are more conservative, will take a leap of faith.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello all and good evening to you. The edit feature is not a glitch. It has been decided by the management team here at the WBF to limit the time one has to edit a post. This is not because of anything with this thread or any member within it. It is due to something else entirely. Just thought I'd chime in and let you know. My apologies for the interruption.

.....now back to our regularly scheduled programming.....

Tom

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hello all and good evening to you. The edit feature is not a glitch. It has been decided by the management team here at the WBF to limit the time one has to edit a post. This is not because of anything with this thread or any member within it. It is due to something else entirely. Just thought I'd chime in and let you know. My apologies for the interruption.

Tom

Okay, well I suppose it can be good or bad. Sometimes history should remain written in stone I suppose. Good or bad, But sometimes I type fast and make mistakes, and go back to edit after reading over. That's when it's nice. Also nice for threads like this when it would be easiest for post #1 to contain all the valuable info as it's updated as time passes. Saves people from searching through pages and pages to find what their looking for.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
If anyone would like the OP to be updated, feel free to contact me. I will be happy to update the information for you whenever I log back into the forum. ;)

Tom

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Northstar

I know what you're saying Frantz. It's not a contest or a deliberation as to have the evidence...we are not in process to render a verdict.
It's a new fresh approach, and me personally I welcome with full embrace...without having heard it.

I just feel good about it, that's all. :b

* You made it sounds like Mike is proclaiming something when he isn't. You sounds like to object to his effort. The words "anyone", "proclaim" and "feat of courage" ... coming out from your post ... they sound like a sci-fi flick invented from outer space.

It's very clear to me. Mike built a great system, and the only thing remaining is for someone, one of us, to purchase the components and to put it @ work. :b
...Then compare to whatever else we have better or lesser...and just enjoy the music.

For many they mostly won't dare...or few of those components they'll try out. Just that is a winning strike.
And for someone else it's nothing ten grands, and they might just get into it and try Mike's full system setup. That possibility alone is also a winning one, beneficial.

Mike draw a plan, a map, a direction to a performing music sound system and with affordability as second best value...so: Performance & Value.

It's up to us now for the rest.

It's like this: I know few things about trees and forests...I propose a plan to build a new forest that will help a better climate change and stop erosion.
I didn't try that exact new forest, but I've seen other forests I built their benefits on the matters that count.
The proposition...that's the spirit...and it's based on past positive results. It doesn't mean that it will succeed...but it sure is a better idea than none @ all.

Plus, I trust Mike. :b ...I have confidence in him. ...And that is a good asset, @ least to start off with.
Since Mike joined in I see many benefits he brought in to WBF site and its members. Plus, as a top bonus, he's a very very good guy. ...Positive, polite, very respectable, knowledgeable, and sharing with us more than his knowledge but his friendship too, and a warm friendship.
His attributes are an endangered species; we should recognize it and work with him.

That's truly how I see it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
EDIT: I just found out now that our edit limit time is 2 minutes.

This must be a new implemented function.

Methinks it's ok, but 10 minutes would be preferable. Editing is very important when writing, reviewing, posting.

* I was editing/correcting my above post for the best when suddenly I was interrupted. :(

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
If anyone would like the OP to be updated, feel free to contact me. I will be happy to update the information for you whenever I log back into the forum. ;)

Tom

OK sounds good. Thanks :)

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I know what you're saying Frantz. It's not a contest or a deliberation as to have the evidence...we are not in process to render a verdict.
It's a new fresh approach, and me personally I welcome with full embrace...without having heard it.

I just feel good about it, that's all. :b

* You made it sounds like Mike is proclaiming something when he isn't. You sounds like to object to his effort. The words "anyone", "proclaim" and "feat of courage" ... coming out from your post ... they sound like a sci-fi flick invented from outer space.

It's very clear to me. Mike built a great system, and the only thing remaining is for someone, one of us, to purchase the components and to put it @ work. :b
...Then compare to whatever else we have better or lesser...and just enjoy the music.

For many they mostly won't dare...or few of those components they'll try out. Just that is a winning strike.
And for someone else it's nothing ten grands, and they might just get into it and try Mike's full system setup. That possibility alone is also a winning one, beneficial.

Mike draw a plan, a map, a direction to a performing music sound system and with affordability as second best value...so: Performance & Value.

It's up to us now for the rest.

It's like this: I know few things about trees and forests...I propose a plan to build a new forest that will help a better climate change and stop erosion.
I didn't try that exact new forest, but I've seen other forests I built their benefits on the matters that count.
The proposition...that's the spirit...and it's based on past positive results. It doesn't mean that it will succeed...but it sure is a better idea than none @ all.

Plus, I trust Mike. :b ...I have confidence in him. ...And that is a good asset, @ least to start off with.
Since Mike joined in I see many benefits he brought in to WBF site and its members. Plus, as a top bonus, he's a very very good guy. ...Positive, polite, very respectable, knowledgeable, and sharing with us more than his knowledge but his friendship too, and a warm friendship.
His attributes are an endangered species; we should recognize it and work with him.

That's truly how I see it.

Thanks Bob! You're a great guy too! This system was strictly chosen for the superiority of all of the components. It's from several different vendors around the globe. I am no way affiliated with these vendors, and as mentioned earlier, if someone found a better component for any link in the chain, I would be perfectly open to updating the recommendation. I'm 100% brand agnostic. I choose products strictly on engineering and performance criteria. I strongly believe in the concept of let the best engineer win!!

This is how innovation is driven forward. Innovation benefits us all.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Tom

Tom, would it be possible to have an official announcement about this important change? ...Or not.
...You know, like a feedback area where you, and other members can share their thoughts.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Not sure I like the limited time to edit posts, we all say things that we might want to change later at some point... ;)

Another system that would work well for $10k or under would be an all Odyssey system. The Stratos amp has won TAS awards for product of the year the last 2 years and they are awesome, I have one. The Kismet monitors use a Scan Speak woofer and beryllium tweeter. They take a $6700 system to shows and kill it, often being mentioned for especially good sound. "Synergy" assured as well.

http://www.odysseyaudio.com/

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing