Streamer to kill the big boys for under $250

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
The Ladder PCM in the Lampi mos def doesnt suck. Whoever told you otherwise is ignorant.

I dont always want to upsample. Sometimes I just want to use a spinner and playback with a better PCM decoder...that kinda thing.

Ravenna may be all that, though nothing really ever is, is it?. Just saying that the SG Server guys were pioneers in the HQP NAA/FMC craze and know what they are up against.

Sucks compared to the DSD. There's more than 1 GG owner I sold this to you know. And they are upsampling their PCM to DSD. And it sounds better. So it's really pointless having the PCM board with this streamer and the Lampi DAC's, unless it's just for AirPlay.

And why would you be compelled to use a spinner if you have a slick setup like this? Do you walk to the store on your hands sometimes as well?

And once again, those guys were using the wrong NAA hardware. The hardware used matters, it's not just a matter of using NAA/FMC. That's like saying "I've used a PC server before" and assuming it's the equal to this server you're taking about just because it's a server.

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I have not used it but I am confident what you say is right. They have to encrypt the files so that if you stop paying your subscription fee, they stop playing. Otherwise people could join, download a million files and quit next month. This means you must use their apps to decrypt and play the content. No open unprotected formats like wav or flac.

As long as you keep the subscription, nothing to worry about then I suppose.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Mike

Why does it matter if it sucks at PCM if you use HQplayer to resample everything to DSD? Everything sucks at PCM, compared to DSD. I hear the GG sucks at PCM compared to the DSD section as well.

But with Ravenna, the server quality is null and void. So it's really just designed for soon to be obsolete DAC's

What is this Ravenna you randomly refer to?
Please excuse my ignorance...

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hi Mike

What is this Ravenna you randomly refer to?
Please excuse my ignorance...

It's a new Ethernet protocol for audio. Merging uses it, although it's' an open source standard anyone can adopt. It's the best audio interface technology available. It can handle 48 channels of simultaneous DSD 256 on a single gigabit Ethernet network, with better performance than USB. The next best thing is to use a streamer like this with a USB DAC.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Thanks for the explanation.
Do you really think Ravenna will become the mainstrean successor to the USB interface in DACs?
I mean, technically firewire would have been superior to USB but apart from Weiss hardly anyone (in the hifi market) implemented it...

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Thanks for the explanation.
Do you really think Ravenna will become the mainstrean successor to the USB interface in DACs?
I mean, technically firewire would have been superior to USB but apart from Weiss hardly anyone (in the hifi market) implemented it...

No problem.

Firewire and Ravenna are 2 different stories. Firewire wasn't created of audio, Either was USB. Ravenna/AES67 is a standard for audio created for audio specifically as a next gen replacement for AES/EBU. It's a new audio standard connectivity protocol and it's not going anywhere. You should read up on AES67. 3/4 of the pro sound and broadcast world has already adopted it. It's so blatantly clear that it's superior for home audio applications as well, only the home audio world is simply lagging behind.

AES67 is simply an interoperability standard between different audio over IP protocols. Ravenna is just the best protocol that is part of the interoperability standard. There's others as well such as Dante. But they are limited to 24/192 PCM

http://ravenna.alcnetworx.com/technology/open-technology-standards/aes67-now.html

http://www.aes.org/publications/standards/search.cfm?docID=96

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hi mike

Thanks again for your elaborate explanation.
Do you think, that this interface could be implemented into existing gear when Ravenna is available?
For expample into a Lampi DAC? Does this make sense and is it feasible?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hi mike

Thanks again for your elaborate explanation.
Do you think, that this interface could be implemented into existing gear when Ravenna is available?
For expample into a Lampi DAC? Does this make sense and is it feasible?

No problem. Well if Lampi got their hands on some Ravenna interface boards then they could easily be retrofitted. But not so easy for DAC's that aren't built in a modular form factor. They would require a ground up redesign.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
The Ladder PCM in the Lampi mos def doesnt suck. Whoever told you otherwise is ignorant.

I dont always want to upsample. Sometimes I just want to use a spinner and playback with a better PCM decoder...that kinda thing.

Ravenna may be all that, though nothing really ever is, is it?. Just saying that the SG Server guys were pioneers in the HQP NAA/FMC craze and know what they are up against.

How does the ladder doing native PCM compare to HQ DSD upsampling? People (including yourself) have been gushing about Lampi's DSD capabilities for several years now, with PCM being good but not orgasmic like "chipless DSD."

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
How does the ladder doing native PCM compare to HQ DSD upsampling? People (including yourself) have been gushing about Lampi's DSD capabilities for several years now, with PCM being good but not orgasmic like "chipless DSD."

The PCM board is there for folks who haven't tried HQplayer together with this streamer.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Cuts the gap significantly!

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I have a modded dvd player an MM feeding PCM to the GG.

Might want to donate it to charity and just use the streamer instead.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hahahahaha. Amir!

I was speaking directly to Blizz and he understands all this.

MacMini is MM in short on every audio forum.

Besides, I used to work for HP and was fluent in TLA speak!
If you can decipher that, then all props to you.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing