Stevie Ray Vaughan..Cannot get enough of him.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I've been listening to a lot of Stevie Ray Vaughan recently. Seems like the more I listen, the more I hear his genius. Truly an ABSOLUTE GIANT among guitar player's. For those of you who like his music, which is in your opinion his best LP and which is the best pressing, OR which is the best digital and of which album? Thoughts?
BTW,anyone here able to play his stuff on their axe? I'm working on several of his pieces right now and let me tell you, it ain't easy.:D

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I like the SACD versions of his first two albums: Texas Flood and Couldn't Stand the Weather. Both have extremely good high points. Steve has long stated that Tin Pan Alley is one of his demo tracks.

I saw SRV three times in concert. Amazing.

Lee

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Lee, I really really wish I had seen SRV in concert, MUST have been absolutely AMAZING. One of his songs that truly resonates with me is: " Riviera Paradise". Any suggestions as to which is the best pressing of that?
Are the SACD versions of his albums the best way to hear him?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I always liked his rendition of Little Wing. I have the two Sundazed albums- as I recall, they aren't fabulous sounding vinyl. Apparently Chad is releasing a whole pile on 45 rpm in March, 2013. (These sets may include SACD, you'll have to check the AS website) Which studio album contained Little Wing? (I don't know his discography).

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I've been listening to a lot of Stevie Ray Vaughan recently. Seems like the more I listen, the more I hear his genius. Truly an ABSOLUTE GIANT among guitar player's. For those of you who like his music, which is in your opinion his best LP and which is the best pressing, OR which is the best digital and of which album? Thoughts?
BTW,anyone here able to play his stuff on their axe? I'm working on several of his pieces right now and let me tell you, it ain't easy.:D

Stevie played with super heavy guage strings and he also tuned down to get his sound didn't he? I always thought of Stevie as one more really good guitar player who was trying to emulate Hendrix.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Not to derail, but Hendrix in the West was reissued on vinyl not so long ago and it is very good. It has the best version of Red House on the planet. I dig Stevie, some of the blues people think he's not really a blues player, but who cares- he could play, was tasty, and rocked. His bro ain't bad either.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
There are also a lot of unreleased live soundboard recordings which circulate at sites like Dime; many are quite listenable.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I like the SACD versions of his first two albums: Texas Flood and Couldn't Stand the Weather. Both have extremely good high points. Steve has long stated that Tin Pan Alley is one of his demo tracks. Lee

Thanks for the recommendation...listened to both briefly on Amazon and read thru the comments which strongly advocated a significant step up with the MFSL SACDs...got both.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Without a doubt, Stevie did a lot of covers, BUT I think that his best work were some of his own pieces. The more I listen to him, the more I respect his technique and ability, IMO he had chops that almost no one else has ever had.
I would go as far as to say that he was more talented than Eric Clapton or even in blues...BB King!
Is everyone of the opinion that the best way to hear him is on the MFSL SACD's?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Unfortunately, many of the standard-issue LP pressings (I had several) were not terrific. I don't know about any special re-pressings, etc. though. The MFSL SACDs have all been very good. I'd imagine that some good RTR tape would be phenomenal.

As an example, my SACD of Texas Flood reproduces the phase-like effect that SRV generated (as heard live) during some longer solo runs, whereas my LP pressings did not. They sounded somewhat flat in comparison. While I wasn't running a Rockport TT, I had a reasonably good setup that produced great sound from LP when the pressing contained it.

Lee

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

I saw SRV twice, once at the Navy Pier and once at the Garden...double bill with His Majesty Jeff Beck. Don't hate me!

I have quite a few FM and board recordings too.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I like the SACD versions of his first two albums: Texas Flood and Couldn't Stand the Weather. Both have extremely good high points. Steve has long stated that Tin Pan Alley is one of his demo tracks.

I saw SRV three times in concert. Amazing.

Lee

I agree completely. Texas Flood is my all time favorite and yes on SACS

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Anyone have any opinions of the SRV albums on: Analog Productions, Sundazed, Pure Pleasure, B13 records or Let them eat vinyl records? I have not heard any of these, but would expect the Sundazed and AP to sound good.:confused:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
And amazing talent. I'm particularly fond of "Couldn't Stand The Weather" myself. Redbook, ripped to my hard drive, works just fine. Hell, this youtube video of Riviera Paradise sounds good...oh, wait a minute...was that pick noise or pre-echo? And are my reverb tails long enough? WhateverwillIdo? :)

Tim

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Anyone have any opinions of the SRV albums on: Analog Productions, Sundazed, Pure Pleasure, B13 records or Let them eat vinyl records? I have not heard any of these, but would expect the Sundazed and AP to sound good.:confused:

Davey, as I mentioned, I was not blown away by the reissues of the first two records- I think on Sundazed, but i will fire them up later today and let you know if my memory was wrong.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
And amazing talent. I'm particularly fond of "Couldn't Stand The Weather" myself. Redbook, ripped to my hard drive, works just fine. Hell, this youtube video of Riviera Paradise sounds good...oh, wait a minute...was that pick noise or pre-echo? And are my reverb tails long enough? WhateverwillIdo? :)

Tim

-----My favorite album of his (LP and CD and SACD). :b

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Big fan of SRV.

I always liked his rendition of Little Wing. I have the two Sundazed albums- as I recall, they aren't fabulous sounding vinyl. Apparently Chad is releasing a whole pile on 45 rpm in March, 2013. (These sets may include SACD, you'll have to check the AS website) Which studio album contained Little Wing? (I don't know his discography).

Looking forward to the vinyl set. These were supposed to come out on vinyl a while ago. Hopefully the mastering is great.

As of now the SACD box set is due from Analogue Productions as well. I think it's interesting that they are continuing to release the SACDs when MFSL just released them...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing