Steve Jobs Envisioned the iPad in 1983

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
A Year into the Post-Jobs Era, Apple Looks as Strong as Ever

By Chris Preimesberger

Steve Jobs, who died a year ago, was an IT visionary who turned around Apple, teetering on bankruptcy in 1996, and was responsible for changing how regular users view technology.

One way to know if a person had made an relevant impact in his or her lifetime is when people write about how the world is different a year after that person left it.

Steve Jobs was indeed a world-changer. He founded Apple Computer, a company so big, so successful, that thousands of customers wait in line -- sometimes for days at a time -- just to get a chance to buy its products. Sometimes movies or concert acts draw that kind of attention, but if you try and name another products company that does what Apple does once or twice a year at its launches, you'd be hard-pressed to name one.

Jobs died Oct. 5, 2011 at 56 after an eight-year battle against pancreatic cancer, but he had already upgraded the way the world communicates. The visionary who turned around Apple, teetering on bankruptcy in 1996, was responsible for changing how regular users view technology. He transformed computing with the iMac, iPod, iPhone and iPad, changed how people consume data, and upended the world of music marketing with iTunes.

Big Changes in One Generation

Jobs and partner Steve Wozniak co-founded Apple in 1977 and in the span of one generation changed the way the world uses personal information. He was a famous micro-manager with big ideas that resonated around the world and back millions of times.

Looking at the year since his passing, things continue to go very well at the company. Apple since his death has officially become the most valuable company in the world with a current book value of about $612 billion and a stock price of $652 (both as of Oct. 5, 2012), surpassing GE, Microsoft, IBM and Hewlett-Packard and Exxon Mobile.

Since Jobs' death, the company has produced two new versions of its super-popular iPhone and is about to debut a smaller version of its equally popular iPad tablet on Oct. 17. Productions rolls along, as if Jobs' spirit is still moving through the halls and meeting rooms of the company's Cupertino, Calif. campus.

His hand-picked successor, Tim Cook, understands the operational side of the IT products and services business. He's never pretended to be a visionary like his mentor, nor should he -- or anybody else -- ever assume that type of attitude.

Some people have written that with Jobs out of the picture, that Apple is a rudderless ship that eventually will be grounded by lack of a visionary at the top. This isn't necessarily the case. True, all companies have their good waves and bad swells during their lifetimes -- in the IT business, a quick look at IBM, Hewlett-Packard and Apple itself bear this out -- but Apple doesn't absolutely need another Jobs at this time to keep it producing as well as it has.

Enormous Imprint Still in Evidence

Why? Because of the enormous imprint Jobs made on his company culture, his customers, and the IT world in general. His presence was so ubiquitous, so unforgettable in the halls of his company, in boardrooms and in press conferences that his spirit is not going to fade away anytime soon.

People who worked side by side with him know how he operated. I personally know people at Apple who so respected and feared him that they sometimes avoided getting in an elevator with him, especially near product launch time. He was that intense, and this has rubbed off on many people over the years. They are not forgetting the lessons they have learned.

On the other hand, some people may have forgotten that Jobs had left Apple for 11 years (from 1985 to 1996) after being fired by his own board of directors following a long internal battle. In the interim, he learned more about how to be a CEO and went on to work on other projects, including NeXT Computer and Pixar Animation Studios.

By the time he returned in 1996, Apple was nearly bankrupt. Sun Microsystems, now absorbed by Oracle but then in its heyday, was very close to announcing the purchase of the company, but legal red tape held up the deal and it was never consummated. (For more detail on this, read the Feb. 25, 2011 eWEEK article "How Apple Dodged a Sun Buyout: Former Execs McNealy, Zander Tell All.")

The company survived then, and it will survive for a long while to come. Most of Apple's key product designers and software developers remain in place, and the company's reputation has never been stronger. Sales have never been better.

One can only surmise that Jobs himself is looking down on his creation and smiling -- a really intense smile.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
When I die, my wish is that people only see my visionary statements and not the rest :).

http://www.engadget.com/2004/04/29/steve-jobs-says-it-again-no-video-ipod/

"Steve Jobs says it again: no video iPod
By Peter Rojas posted April 29th 2004 9:46AM

We really don't want to believe him, but in yesterday's press conference for the first anniversary of the iTunes Music Store Steve Jobs insisted that there isn't a video iPod in the works:

Mr. Jobs addressed the issue of video on iPods when asked by Mike Wendland of the Detroit Free Press whether or not Apple was looking to add features to the iPod. "We want it to make toast," replied Mr. Jobs. "We're toying with refrigeration, too." While intended to get a laugh, which it did, Mr. Jobs also offered a more substantive answer as to why Apple had heretofore not added too many features to the iPod. "One of the things we say around Apple, and I paraphrase Bill Clinton from the 1992 presidential race, is 'It's about the music, stupid.'" Mr. Jobs says that there is a big difference between the way people listen to music and other activities like watching videos. Specifically, he said, you can listen to music in the background, while movies require that you actually watch them. "You can't watch a video and drive a car," he said. "We're focused on music."
---

At the end he did build the mother of all toasters with their app model turning devices into many things including portable video devices. Back around the same time, I was asked by my boss to write a report on future of mobile computing. I did. I wrote that in 3-5 years they would get as fast as the PCs of that time, with similar CPU and memory. I also showed a trend for Flash storage to provide enough onboard permanent storage. Once there, and with the addition of a keyboard if needed, it would be just as capable as a PC.

The reaction from my boss? "You mean we will then lose Windows sales since everyone would license our cheaper OS?" I had to nod yes. He got upset at me and that was that. I went on to my day job. This was all before the iPhone and such.

I am posting this here so that when I die, someone can dig up this post and say I was a visionary too! Of course, I won't tell you the bad decisions I made. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing