Analysis: With new iPhone, Jobs' ghost exits Apple

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
As the article notes, this is something iPhone users find when trying other phones, and here its been quantified:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/09/19/a...een-is-2-5-times-faster-than-android-devices/

It's responsiveness, something that plays everytime you use the phone and it's always been a gripe every time I've picked up an Android phone. There seems a more direct connection between me and the hardware, from scrolling on out. It's more directly connected and interactive. Part of the sometimes hard-to-define 'experience thing' that other phones lack It matters to me far more than this or that small feature because again, it plays every time, every moment really I use the phone.

I love my Note 1, and I'm ok with the Android OS, but I will agree here. The Note 1 has issues regarding swipe motions. Unless you swipe just right, it won't react. If you do get it right (and I do 90% of the time), it does activate quickly, but is not superfast and likely not as fast as with the Apple(s). I'm not overly concerned about that, and would rather they widen the swipe motion space.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I was under the impression all along that the lag was caused by Android, not the hardware, since technically, Android is full of cruft and generally not-so-optimized code.
With modern hardware (say, Nexus 3/Galaxy 4 onwards), the lag is a lot less noticeable, if you have few apps and use the phone lightly, which also corroborated my earlier impression. Android really needs that octa-core chip to be responsive, as it's compensating for bad code, and bad hardware now...

alexandre

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I love my Note 1, and I'm ok with the Android OS, but I will agree here. The Note 1 has issues regarding swipe motions. Unless you swipe just right, it won't react. If you do get it right (and I do 90% of the time), it does activate quickly, but is not superfast and likely not as fast as with the Apple(s). I'm not overly concerned about that, and would rather they widen the swipe motion space.

So if you're just ok with Android and the touch screen lags, what is it you love about your Note?

Tim

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I have not used or observed any of the serious iPhone competitors so I will assume that they are indeed great products. But momentum must be a good thing for Apple to announce a "new" iPhone that is not so new with nothing of consequence as a must have feature and they still sell 9 million of them very quickly.

I am a huge Apple fan and have been since my first Apple II in the late 70's. That said, it seems as though Apple may repeat it's (unfortunate) history after Jobs left the first time. He is permanently gone and (apparently) the company's ability to create innovative products (sorry Keith) has gone with him. Apple was Steve Jobs and now Apple is just another large and, currently, successful technology company.

But we shall see. I do hope they are able to come up with SOMETHING in some product area that catapults them forward again.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing