rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
If Cook is to follow Steve' steps, he should be looking at buying into memory manufacturing now. Apple has already purchased large chunks of the supply capabilities for SSD and flash memory, but from Korean companies, who we all know nurture not much love for Apple...
)

Actually that would be following in Samsung's steps. Apple would become an American chaebol :)

The ? was why the 5c and 5s are weak products vs ...

Once upon a time, Apple products would debut some new feature that you would not see in the competition for some time. Examples - touchscreens appeared first on the original iPhone, the build quality on the 3G was much superior to anything else, high resolution display appeared first on the 4. At the time, iOS was also much superior to Android - not only was it faster, consumed less resources, and more stable, the app ecosystem was much better.

All that has changed. The app ecosystem on Android has caught up and may even be richer than iOS. The hardware is superior in most respects, such that Apple is appearing to play catch-up. On Android, a phone with a 720p display is considered mid-range ... and the 5S/5C isn't even 720p. The construction is absurdly prone to scratching, such that nearly everyone I know keeps their "jewel like iPhone" in an ugly plastic case.

As for the software, it is quite nearly infinitely customizable - you can change anything you want on your phone to make it suit you rather than what some corporate dictator has decreed. My phone knows when I am at work, when I am at home, and when I am sleeping, and it automatically sets itself up without me having to intervene. e.g. it knows I am at work because it connects to the wifi signal. It then turns the phone ringer on, silences all other notifications, and employs a number of battery saving strategies (e.g. dimmer screen, GPS off, etc). When I am at home, I don't need my ringers to go so loud, so it automatically sets it at 50%. When I go to sleep, all notifications are silenced, except when I am on call. How does it know I am on call? It can read my calendar.

That's what I call a truly SMART smartphone. It makes iOS seem primitive.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I don't use a plastic case, and my iPhone 5 isn't scratched, and neither is my wife's, from the two iPhones I have at hand. And we both beat these up pretty badly.
My Samsung OTOH... The plastic back is completely scratched, and that's a phone I use a lot less.

The way I see them, plastic cases are more like (fashion) statements than actual protection.

All Keith described above is doable on iOS. It's not built in the OS, as Apple does not believe in complicated configurability like that. It'd be up to a third party to create an app for that. And if nobody wrote such app for iOS this far, it's because 1) nobody gives a sh*t about this kind of extreme configurability, or 2) there's a wide open market for this kind of app.

For the record, Apple had geo-fencing almost 2 years ago, so you, as a developer, could do any of such things in your app, 2 years ago. I worked on a time tracking app that used this feature, as it would start tracking time as soon as you hit a specified location.

alexandre

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I don't use a plastic case, and my iPhone 5 isn't scratched, and neither is my wife's, from the two iPhones I have at hand. And we both beat these up pretty badly.
My Samsung OTOH... The plastic back is completely scratched, and that's a phone I use a lot less.

If that happens with your Samsung, you simply replace the back. It comes off.

All Keith described above is doable on iOS.

Really? Link to app please?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yes, I forgot, the Samsung is a toy, the plastic top comes off!
Shame on me for choosing an actual, proper phone made of glass...

If you cared to read the rest of what I wrote, you'd see I said it is POSSIBLE, for a while now.
Here's a tutorial to teach you how to do it:

http://www.netmagazine.com/tutorials/get-started-geofencing-ios

And my app is called TimeSquare. When we developed it, we chose not to go Android, as it was too much trouble to implement the same funcionality. Perhaps now Android has catch up...

alexandre

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I can see that both Keith and Alexandre are fanboys on opposing teams. I don't quite understand why that has to be. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, and to date no one has made the perfect phone.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Johnny,

Not a fanboy here, I tell you. I use what works for me, and what brings me most $$$ too :) Which is not Android...
I just try to counter some people's rabid attempts at fanboyism.
I just think plastic backs on phones are ugly. They were ugly on the iPhone 3Gs, and they are ugly on the iPhone 5C. And they're much uglier on the Samsungs, of course :)
To bring matters to a more audio-related stance, I like darTZeel gear, and some people here will likely never even consider buying one, for they might consider it ugly. Different strokes... So yeah, I agree with you, if plastic is not something you're averse to, and the 6" behemoth of a phone does it for you, go ahead! As I said before, I'm glad there's someone out there catering for your needs, and we're all the better off for it!
While there's no "perfect phone", companies are trying, with different stragegies. Samsung goes for the "fill every niche and subniche of the market", while Apple goes for careful iteration.

alexandre

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I can see that both Keith and Alexandre are fanboys on opposing teams. I don't quite understand why that has to be. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, and to date no one has made the perfect phone.

Johnny

What are the weaknesses you would point out from the Android system? And what can an IOS device do that an Android can't? Honest question from a , now, new Android fanboy?

I would reverse the question and ask you if the current Apple devices have better anything than the current top Android phones: The HTC One and the Samsung S4. I could throw in the Sony Xperia TOL or the LG or the Moto-X ....

And if built is the issue. The HTC One, based on facts, is at least, as well made as the iPhone 5; better made if you ask me and in my honest, subjective and biased opinion, the best looking phone on the planet and with a display to have an Apple fan cry and throw away his/her retina .... the display that is :D).

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Yes, I forgot, the Samsung is a toy, the plastic top comes off!
Shame on me for choosing an actual, proper phone made of glass...

If you cared to read the rest of what I wrote, you'd see I said it is POSSIBLE, for a while now.
Here's a tutorial to teach you how to do it:

http://www.netmagazine.com/tutorials/get-started-geofencing-ios

And my app is called TimeSquare. When we developed it, we chose not to go Android, as it was too much trouble to implement the same funcionality. Perhaps now Android has catch up...

alexandre

I 'll read more about this though. Could become handy . Thanks for the link. Tasker, however, is much, much more than geofencing ... by light years ... well... since we are talking geo-fencing, by miles :D

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I know it is, that's why I made sure to point that an app like this in iOS-land could be an excellent market opportunity, as it's perfectly doable, from a technical standpoint.

The fact that it's not there yet, in spite of the many iOS developers out there, just proves my point that iOS users simply do NOT WANT that much configurability. They want beautifully made apps to get their work done, and the App Store is full of those.

Using Tasker as an example of superiority is silly, and circunstantial, as both OSes have the capabilities, with iOS providing the technical means (APIs) before Android in most cases. But I also understand that the BEST OS is simply the one that runs the apps you want. And if there's no Tasker on iOS, and there is on Android, it's perfectly understandable to think of one as superior to the other. But still it's circunstantial :) Just like in the beginning, where iOS got all the games and apps first. Sure, a lot of those ended up on Android later on, but did that make Android "obsolete" or whatever silly name Android fanboys are calling Apple these days?

alexandre

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
The fact that it's not there yet, in spite of the many iOS developers out there, just proves my point that iOS users simply do NOT WANT that much configurability. They want beautifully made apps to get their work done, and the App Store is full of those.

Your argument is absurd. Going by this, it would seem that what iOS users really want are fart apps. Lots of fart apps.

BTW, judging by the way Apple is haemorrhaging market share, it appears as if those users who DO want configurability have left.

Using Tasker as an example of superiority is silly, and circunstantial, as both OSes have the capabilities, with iOS providing the technical means (APIs) before Android in most cases. But I also understand that the BEST OS is simply the one that runs the apps you want. And if there's no Tasker on iOS, and there is on Android, it's perfectly understandable to think of one as superior to the other. But still it's circunstantial :) Just like in the beginning, where iOS got all the games and apps first. Sure, a lot of those ended up on Android later on, but did that make Android "obsolete" or whatever silly name Android fanboys are calling Apple these days?

BTW, congratulations - iOS7's clock icon now shows the actual time without having to open it. Now for that weather icon, always showing sunny weather ...

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Your argument is absurd. Going by this, it would seem that what iOS users really want are fart apps. Lots of fart apps.

BTW, judging by the way Apple is haemorrhaging market share, it appears as if those users who DO want configurability have left.

BTW, congratulations - iOS7's clock icon now shows the actual time without having to open it. Now for that weather icon, always showing sunny weather ...

Did it really? Honestly, I never noticed the clock icon. I use that app as an alarm clock, as the actual time information is displayed in a lot of different spaces on the phone screen, without having to look for the icon/app. And weather apps is a particular fetish of iOS users, with tons of them, some paid (!), which is something I never understood myself...

And you didn't understand what I wrote. By your understanding, Android users want malware and fake apps. So I'll just give up on you.

alexandre

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Johnny

What are the weaknesses you would point out from the Android system? And what can an IOS device do that an Android can't? Honest question from a , now, new Android fanboy?

I would reverse the question and ask you if the current Apple devices have better anything than the current top Android phones: The HTC One and the Samsung S4. I could throw in the Sony Xperia TOL or the LG or the Moto-X ....

And if built is the issue. The HTC One, based on facts, is at least, as well made as the iPhone 5; better made if you ask me and in my honest, subjective and biased opinion, the best looking phone on the planet and with a display to have an Apple fan cry and throw away his/her retina .... the display that is :D).

Frantz, the weakness of iOS is limited configurability, or configurability that has to be achieved through apps and is not built into the OS. This is troublesome for iOS users who want a highly customized, configurable user experience. The weakness of Android is its configurability, its depth, and the need to configure some pretty basic functions. This is troublesome for users who don't want to set up a phone, they just want to use It and want how to use it to be as obvious and intuitive as possible. In both cases, their strengths are their weaknesses, depending on the user.

This is the old Mac vs PC argument in a pocket size.

Tim

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Tim

I am Tech-Savvy but my phone is left to its close-to-basic state. It's a choice and that says nothing about the OS. Back in the days it could have been said that the Apple OS was superior to the Windows and IMO it was. Now the gap has been bridged and it is a matter of choice or "feel". I no longer feel the need to have an Apple PC. The PCs I have in my business and at home serve my purposes quite well. It also remains that for app ....err.. Programs The Windows lead is insurmountable. That's for PC.

Back to smartphone:

Feel The input device is a touch screen. Same for both

Ease of use Same

Screen Android has a serious edge and by the time that Apple announces a larger screen, likely next year... THe ANdroid brigade may be building an insurmountable lead there too.

Hardware Seems that Android has an edge there too, Apple recently went to 64-bit... Android hardware is not there yet but everyone knows they will follow but ... We don't know yet what differences this will make with current apps.

Apps It seems that any app worth its grain of salt finds its way to both the Google Play and iTune Stores, IOW you find the same apps.

Looks Apple used to be on top but recently, fine-looking phones such as the exquisite HTC One (I am biased) and the Sony Xperia are challenging that notion. IMO THe HTC is the best looking phone on the market.

Finnish See above.

Choice There are too many Android phones to choose from

Accessories Apple has an edge but it is dissipating as Android conquers the market

So truly where in this landscape does Apple lead or has an upper edge?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Johnny

Frantz - I'm not sure if I understand your post as I wasn't making a distinction between which OS or device is better.

While I have an Android phone I didn't choose it because it has that OS. I actually chose the phone (Note 1) because I liked the size of the large screen. It is perfect for my vision and also for how I use it with my work. If the Note1 were an Apple product, HTC, Nokia or BB I would have gone with it. I'm not married to any OS at all.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Frantz, the weakness of iOS is limited configurability, or configurability that has to be achieved through apps and is not built into the OS. This is troublesome for iOS users who want a highly customized, configurable user experience. The weakness of Android is its configurability, its depth, and the need to configure some pretty basic functions. This is troublesome for users who don't want to set up a phone, they just want to use It and want how to use it to be as obvious and intuitive as possible. In both cases, their strengths are their weaknesses, depending on the user.

This is the old Mac vs PC argument in a pocket size.

Tim

I think this is a reasonable summation. Personally, I can do w/o 30 choices of detergent or a ton of configurability options. I like the simplicity of what I feel are intelligent choices and things are 95% good to go. I also don't like dealing with built-in crapware and carrier/manufacturer skins, etc. My experience is also that an Apple system (Mac, AppleTV, iOS devices, even router etc.) simply works in whatever capacities I need it too w/o headache in a way that Android stuff never has. There is also a consistency of interface across the line which I appreciate.

If you are concerned about malware btw, or your phone not being able to handle operating system updates; iOS is the clear winner. Which system for phones has more and better apps is very arguable -- the answer is probably 'both enough for anybody' Tablet-optimized apps is easily in iOSs favor.

As for screen size, I toss it in my pocket w/o a case and don't want anything larger, but that's me. I think you will see Apple address this in 2014 as there's obviously a market for larger screens. In terms of color accuracy btw, the Apple screen is the best.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Frantz - I'm not sure if I understand your post as I wasn't making a distinction between which OS or device is better.

While I have an Android phone I didn't choose it because it has that OS. I actually chose the phone (Note 1) because I liked the size of the large screen. It is perfect for my vision and also for how I use it with my work. If the Note1 were an Apple product, HTC, Nokia or BB I would have gone with it. I'm not married to any OS at all.

Jhonny

No Problem with that. I actually feel you are making an interesting point. There are choices when it comes to Android. The OSes have converged to that point in term of usability and the hardware is favoring Android IMO.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
As the article notes, this is something iPhone users find when trying other phones, and here its been quantified:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/09/19/a...een-is-2-5-times-faster-than-android-devices/

It's responsiveness, something that plays everytime you use the phone and it's always been a gripe every time I've picked up an Android phone. There seems a more direct connection between me and the hardware, from scrolling on out. It's more directly connected and interactive. Part of the sometimes hard-to-define 'experience thing' that other phones lack It matters to me far more than this or that small feature because again, it plays every time, every moment really I use the phone.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
As the article notes, this is something iPhone users find when trying other phones, and here its been quantified:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/09/19/a...een-is-2-5-times-faster-than-android-devices/

It's responsiveness, something that plays everytime you use the phone and it's always been a gripe every time I've picked up an Android phone. There seems a more direct connection between me and the hardware, from scrolling on out. It's more directly connected and interactive. Part of the sometimes hard-to-define 'experience thing' that other phones lack It matters to me far more than this or that small feature because again, it plays every time, every moment really I use the phone.

Wow, that's significant - AND important. I've played around with a Galaxy S4 a couple times in the AT&T store but didn't notice any lack of responsiveness. In fact I thought I could text (type) better on the S4, but perhaps that's a misconception or more of an ergonomic thing.

I'm waiting for the Note 3 to come out next month, but I guess I'll pay extra attention to this before I take the plunge.

Thanks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing