Analysis: With new iPhone, Jobs' ghost exits Apple

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Reading the reactions this morning to Apple's release of iPhone 5C/5S, there seems to be a barrage of negative reactions. This article perhaps typifies what went wrong: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/09/11/steve-jobs-iphone/2797763/

Analysis: With new iPhone, Jobs' ghost exits Apple

Steve Jobs's ghost has lingered at Apple (AAPL) for nearly two years, as the legacy of his products has been passed from one version of the iPhone to the next, and from iPad to iPad. The bumbling introduction of the new iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C, each a product barely better than its predecessor, shows that whatever product plans Jobs left behind have been exhausted. Even if he imagined the not-yet-launched iWatch, his passion for getting brand new products to the market first has perished, too.

Nearly everyone who saw or read about the release of the new products felt the same. Nothing was nifty about the latest versions of Apple's once truly revolutionary smartphone, itself close to seven years old. The question has been asked repeatedly whether Jobs might have improved the product more, or changed it entirely. No matter how that question gets answered, a smartphone with a little bit better camera, a little bit better processor and the kind of fingerprint security from a Batman movie did not impress.

Analysts ask what Apple might have done with the new phone. There are a few answers, based on features that were not improved.

One of the last things Jobs spent much time on, according to people who claim to know, was Siri. He considered it a first, a least for a smartphone that priced at $500 or so. It has not been improved much. It has not become a voice recognition device that can answer really complex questions. It cannot take a voice version of a Ph.D. thesis, type it, correct grammar and spelling of any word in the world in any language, and check and add sources of facts. Such technology is in middle stages elsewhere, but not at Apple.

The new iPhone does not have a much stronger case or screen. Either can be broken almost as easily as a glass, when dropped from an even modest height. The fumble-fingered can find their fumbling expensive. Again, accessory makers have built products to protect the delicate iPhone. Apple has not even tried to make its flagship product physically invincible.

Of course, there is the battery. The iPhone's does not last as long without a charge as others in the market. Apple could have invented a battery that had a life several times as long as any other. The new iPhone's battery life is no better than the one in its predecessor.

The guesswork about what the iPhone might have been can go on and on. So can the game of whether another product should have been invented to begin to supplant it. Jobs liked to disintermediate his own creations. There is no evidence of that in the iPhone 5S or 5C. One was created because Apple needed to keep a product cycle to sell new smartphones. The other was built to help Apple in China.

Apple finally and permanently has been turned over to Jobs's lieutenants. His pictures can be taken off the walls at Apple headquarters. There is nothing of him left.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Yup, no surprise for me.

When I saw that OS7 was mostly cosmetic changes I knew that Apple was clued out. Do I really still need to open an app to see what the weather is?

I can't wait to ditch my iPhone as it feels so antiquated compared to Samsung and Nokia models. Apple didn't even increase the screen size... sheesh.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I'm retiring my iphone for a Galaxy Note 3 (street date Oct 3). I used to think it was neither fish nor fowl, but after a 30 minute spin in the store (on the old/current version) I'm a believer! Catch me at RMAF and I'll show it off :)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I'm retiring my iphone for a Galaxy Note 3 (street date Oct 3). I used to think it was neither fish nor fowl, but after a 30 minute spin in the store (on the old/current version) I'm a believer! Catch me at RMAF and I'll show it off :)

Yup, that's what I'm targeting too. A little while ago I compared the Galaxy S4 with the Note 2 and had a rough time choosing between them, but then I heard about the Note 3 and decided to wait for that.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I was wondering when someone would create an iPhone 5S/5C thread :)

I don't know about the USA, but the announced pricing in Australia on the 5S (for an outright purchase) is AUD$1129 for the 64GB model, up from $999. Part of it can be blamed on the slightly weaker AUD$ (now buying USD$0.93 as opposed to $1.01 before), but look at the competition. The Samsung Galaxy S4 is $799, and the HTC One is $749. The Google Nexus 4 is $299. Admittedly the Samsung and HTC are 32GB models, but the 32GB iPhone 5S is $999 - still at least $200 more.

In other words, the cheaper S4 gives you a bigger screen, bigger battery, 2GB of RAM, swappable SD cards, removable battery, as well as Android 4.2 - which these days is well advanced compared to iOS. The 5S edges out on build quality, and the new Apple A7 might be superior the Snapdragon 600 on the S4. Arguably the camera, with its two tone flash and backlit sensor, is probably better than the S4 as well.

The cheaper HTC One equals the 5S on build quality, but also includes a bigger screen with higher pixel density, an image stabilized camera, stereo front speakers (which are incredibly loud!).

The 5C is just a joke. Traditionally, Apple's cheaper iPhone is last years model, sold at a discount. The 5C is essentially an iPhone 5, but packaged in plastic and selling at the same price as its predecessor! I would like to know what on earth they are thinking. A plastic iPhone is supposed to be aimed at the mid market, but they have priced themselves well out of contention.

Oh, as for iOS7 - it is the butt of jokes with its gawdy colour scheme which does not bring any new innovations to the plate. Where a Samsung phone can scroll just by moving your eyes, and a Motorola has always on listening (with a dedicated low power chip) ... iOS7 brings nothing new.

This year, what they have effectively done is raise the prices and offer you less value, at a time when the competition has already overtaken it and relegated Apple to a distant 2nd place.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Repeat after me... Choice is good. It's great to see you all finding your ideal phones, be they Android, Windows, Samsung or HTC. Or Apple.

And negativism towards Apple is nothing new. It was there when Jobs was alive, and it's stronger than ever. But these 2 models will sell, a lot, simply because they're iPhones, the current models. And they'll sell probably to markets that you never even thought existed. The wife wants the gold one, and the kids are already picking a combination for the (gaudy, yes) 5C colours .

Price is indeed a problem, but since we're not privy to a lot of behind the scenes information, it's hard to say it's entirely Apple's fault. The prices in China, a market Apple wants to get in, are ridiculously high too.

Back to the original article on this thread, my iPhone has taken a beating, fallen from 1m+ heights more times than I care to remember, and it works just as the first day I got it. And it doesn't look that bad either. So, saying the iPhone will break easily is a flat out lie.

alexandre

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Yup, that's what I'm targeting too. A little while ago I compared the Galaxy S4 with the Note 2 and had a rough time choosing between them, but then I heard about the Note 3 and decided to wait for that.

Welcome to the Galaxy Note club! I love my first edition Note 1. Funny thing, I remember people ridiculing us Note 1 owners for being uncool with such a large phone placed next to our ear, and it couldn't fit in a pocket, and blah, blah, blah. The "phablet" was looked upon as inconsequential, but look at it now! And Samsung doesn't innovate!:rolleyes:

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Johnny,

More people using it doesn't make it any less "uncool" and hideous :)
And yes, Samsung doesn't innovate, you got that right!

alexandre

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Could it be that we are witnessing something really weird: Apple losing its mojo. Let's face this announcement by the Cuppertino people was the equivalent of a whimper .. The iPhone 5s and C are weak products compared to what the 'Droid people are offering.

This serieshas to be a letdown for Apple fans.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Johnny,
More people using it doesn't make it any less "uncool" and hideous :)
And yes, Samsung doesn't innovate, you got that right!
alexandre

Speaking of uncool... I saw a man a couple days ago in trendy Newhope PA on the scenic bridge between PA and NJ taking photos with his laptop.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Apple always goes down after announcements then returns to whatever level it was at shortly thereafter. If I had the time, I would have done a quick short on the stock pre-announcement. Happened after the original iPhone announcement too (a real bomb, that). Happened after the iPad (another bomb!) It's the typical buy on rumors/sell on news cycle that is an historically near guaranteed pattern at this point . If they intro a phone that flies, you'll read 'not far enough' Good thing they didn't ape Samsung's presentation for the S4, which was truly painful at times (and has not sold near Samsung's expectations). Good thing they didn't release the Galaxy Gear watch which looks to be a dud by all accounts (but to be fair, not yet used by anyone). Hey, they had nothing yet to copy on that one.

These are the typical negative reviews of a product and operating system not yet used. But then, I can tell how a speaker sounds by its specs and look, so I get it :)

A typical, moronic quote from the article the thread opened with:

Apple could have invented a battery that had a life several times as long as any other.

Yeah, that would be an easy invention. Hard to believe they haven't revolutionized battery tech yet. It's a shocker that no one else, including GM and hundreds of other companies working on it then haven't beaten Apple and everyone else to the punch. This is typical of such articles. It's just to fill space and get web hits, the actuality or veracity of anything is beside the point. Why would anyone listen to a writer who makes such a stupid comment?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Perfect, Bob.
As I said, it's trendy now to kick Apple to the curb, and Apple hasn't done much to help themselves in this regard. Let them get their page views.
See how many lines were written in the general press about Apple's new A7 processor, or its M7 motion processor, both notable feats.

alexandre

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Perfect, Bob.
As I said, it's trendy now to kick Apple to the curb, and Apple hasn't done much to help themselves in this regard. Let them get their page views.
See how many lines were written in the general press about Apple's new A7 processor, or its M7 motion processor, both notable feats.

alexandre
The emphasis on chip technology shows how different Apple is now than the Steve Jobs one. When the first decent Android phone came out, the Motorola, I wrote how awful their commercials were in that they were emphasizing CPU performance and "manly" attributes ("powerful") vs Apple's emphasis on elegance, style. I said that was way superior approach at the time as there was not much familiarity with what was inside smartphones. Jobs was so far in this direction that people were not even sure what computing engine was in early iPhones! Fast forward 3 years and the Android marketers have made such lingo commonplace much like the PC. Customer wants "quad core CPU" now. And the higher the GHz, the "better."

On A7, it is surprising how fast Apple is able to update its ASICs. The usual time frame is 18 to even 24 months. On the 64-bit part, something is fishy. ARM last week announced availability of 64-bit core and a week later Apple has it in their CPU already implemented. Seems to me Apple paid for exclusivity for that to keep others away. Similar thing to original Toshiba hard disk in iPod. Of course, this just plays into the hands of the Android guy's marketing per above. They love the race to be about silicon. Because ultimately, there are many of them with multiple suppliers surrounding Apple and they logically will win that race.

I do expect A7 to be king of the hill in performance. Current A6 devices in graphics already beat many (all?) Android devices. With the faster A7 and graphics, it should be quite fast in single threaded apps.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
The emphasis on chip technology shows how different Apple is now than the Steve Jobs one. When the first decent Android phone came out, the Motorola, I wrote how awful their commercials were in that they were emphasizing CPU performance and "manly" attributes ("powerful") vs Apple's emphasis on elegance, style. I said that was way superior approach at the time as there was not much familiarity with what was inside smartphones. Jobs was so far in this direction that people were not even sure what computing engine was in early iPhones! Fast forward 3 years and the Android marketers have made such lingo commonplace much like the PC. Customer wants "quad core CPU" now. And the higher the GHz, the "better."

On A7, it is surprising how fast Apple is able to update its ASICs. The usual time frame is 18 to even 24 months. On the 64-bit part, something is fishy. ARM last week announced availability of 64-bit core and a week later Apple has it in their CPU already implemented.

Coupla things Amir:

- The consumer ads won't talk about processors, etc. just like the current ads don't. 'More photos taken every day w/an iPhone than anything else...' The announcements, w/the tech press crowd is a different ballgame. They care about that stuff IIRC, Jobs proudly intro'd the A5 chip some years ago at one of these events.

- Apple has a different agreement w/ARM that allows them to modify the designs to their own ends much earlier in the process that other manufacturers including Samsung. It's why Samsung has announced that their 64 bit phones won't come out till 2014 -- that's when ARM will have them for others.

As an aside, I think the potential of the M7 motion chip will yield some interesting apps over time. The sort of data these sensors can gather, aggregate and interpret is growing fast. Curious to see the capability of the announced Nike app/hardware vs. their present fuel band.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yes, I don't see much change in their message. It was actually Steve's plot all along to strenghten Apple's position in chip design/manufacture, with the purchase of several smaller companies (and their IP), as well as hiring talent. We're just seeing the fruits of that, and as some are speculating, those chips might even end up on low-end Macs at some point.

If Cook is to follow Steve' steps, he should be looking at buying into memory manufacturing now. Apple has already purchased large chunks of the supply capabilities for SSD and flash memory, but from Korean companies, who we all know nurture not much love for Apple...

So, I still think Apple is all about style in its marketing message, but with underlying tech prowess. The tech media should've picked this up (A7/M7) to report, but instead chose the usual doom'n'gloom style pieces, which likely render more page views. I did read an interesting article about the capabilities of the M7, when partnered with mapping applications (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/12...motion-sensing-chip-for-mapping-improvements/)

alexandre

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
One other thing. If the product isn't revolutionary, the response is always negative. iPhone 2007, iPad 2011 (though the stock went down after both of these announcements and the press was more negative than positive) -- that timeline suggests that Cook gets until 2015 for the next big thing which obviously takes some time to imagine and develop, so I'll withhold the 'can't innovate' label for a bit.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Could it be that we are witnessing something really weird: Apple losing its mojo. Let's face this announcement by the Cuppertino people was the equivalent of a whimper .. The iPhone 5s and C are weak products compared to what the 'Droid people are offering.

This serieshas to be a letdown for Apple fans.

Could be Apple's mojo died of pancreatic cancer. Or it could be that this is just a tame, uninspiring product launching event with minor improvements to the flagship and a new entry-level product (that happened a couple of times under Jobs). Could be that the new entry-level product will find new markets and Apple could end up making trainloads of money, again. Lots of things could be. I'm not selling yet.

The iPhone is still at the upper limit of "pocket," and I don't carry a purse, so it's not getting a bulky protection scheme and I'm not getting one of those Android iPad Mini phones. And that ain't could be, but will be.

Siri works pretty well. I talk to it all the time. Better would be better.

Tim

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
The iPhone 5s and C are weak products compared to what the 'Droid people are offering.

Why?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing