Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome Hourwerk!

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Just a correction. The output impedance of spectral pre amps would be 100 ohms. The input impedance of the amplifiers is 10k ohms. I think Spectral is looking for a robust signal for their amps. The 100 ohm output impedance of the preamp is just one piece of the puzzle.

Thanks for the correction Dan. I've edited the post and made the correction. The VTL preamps such as the 7.5 III have an nominal output impedance of 25 ohms (150 ohms at 10K) and a typical BAT preamp has an output impedance of 200 ohms. The ARC Ref 5 SE has an output of 600ohm (balanced). However, Dave Gordon told me years ago that their preamps could drive an amp with a 10K ohm input impedance if the interconnect distance was not very long. But as I've said before, be careful using a Spectral amp with a non-Spectral preamp as you never know where the Spectral police might be located!

Last edited:

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
anyone have any experience with dealers in usa? looking for the 15/260 combo (maybe 30)! thanks in advance for input on best dealer to work with.

robbyd

Dec 23, 2015
uk south-east
'More-Music' near Utrecht are extremely helpful and have their own service department - otherwise they will send specific parts back to Spectral if necessary. The latest DMA-400s are specified 240v on the Spectral website. I run a 30SV from my Accuphase PS-1200 so it sees 230v regardless of what the local mains is.

edwardce

Oct 7, 2010
anyone have any experience with dealers in usa? looking for the 15/260 combo (maybe 30)! thanks in advance for input on best dealer to work with.

Contact Terry @ Overture in Wilmington DE! I have been working with Terry for 10+ years and he has proven to be a trusted advisor. He knows Spectral and related components as well as anyone and always seeks to find the best solution for me and my stereo system.

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
Contact Terry @ Overture in Wilmington DE! I have been working with Terry for 10+ years and he has proven to be a trusted advisor. He knows Spectral and related components as well as anyone and always seeks to find the best solution for me and my stereo system.

will do. thank you kindly.

audioquad

Oct 29, 2013
I also recommend Terry Menacer at Overture Audio. I've been buying Spectral equipment from him for years. I have a DMC-30SS Series 2 for sale if you are interested. Email for pictures and price.

Regards

Tom

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
terry it is. thanks again. ill message you.

I have visited Terry many years ago, when he was still a Wilson dealer, he has been a dealer for Spectral for many years.
He had such an incredible sound, that pushed me to Spectral land. Never looked back...

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
I have visited Terry many years ago, when he was still a Wilson dealer, he has been a dealer for Spectral for many years.
He had such an incredible sound, that pushed me to Spectral land. Never looked back...

okie dokie. im 75% positive ill be replacing my trusty ol' arc integrated with spectral stuff. should be a nice little step up. moving from tubes to ss is a concern, especially with my current speakers but i am thinking about replacing them as well. i still don't like this whole concept of switching cables from what i have used for a while to mit but i guess it is what it is. i will do an a/b with spectral mits' to my kimber 6063's to make sure i like the results. ill report on that whole thing when the time comes.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
okie dokie. im 75% positive ill be replacing my trusty ol' arc integrated with spectral stuff. should be a nice little step up. moving from tubes to ss is a concern, especially with my current speakers but i am thinking about replacing them as well. i still don't like this whole concept of switching cables from what i have used for a while to mit but i guess it is what it is. i will do an a/b with spectral mits' to my kimber 6063's to make sure i like the results. ill report on that whole thing when the time comes.

It actually works just fine in the long run, one less thing to worry about ;)

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?

spoke with Terry today and he is a superstar, for real. super helpful and we began the process. he did mention a replacement of the 15 pre later this month or next that i am going to wait for. thanks for the recommendation people.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
spoke with Terry today and he is a superstar, for real. super helpful and we began the process. he did mention a replacement of the 15 pre later this month or next that i am going to wait for. thanks for the recommendation people.

Since you are a considering Spectral and you are YG owner. I'd recommend taking a look at Audionet electronics. They are very similar in sound character at least to me. High bandwidth faster slew rate etc...But, unlike the Spectral you don't have to use MIT cables. Which in turn is a huge cost savings.

YouTube has plenty of videos of YG/Audionet pairing.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Since you are a considering Spectral and you are YG owner. I'd recommend taking a look at Audionet electronics. They are very similar in sound character at least to me. High bandwidth faster slew rate etc...But, unlike the Spectral you don't have to use MIT cables. Which in turn is a huge cost savings.

YouTube has plenty of videos of YG/Audionet pairing.

I am curious about your statement on "faster slew rate", and can't find any real slew rate specs on these amps, nor settling times; do you have any concrete info? I saw bandwidth out to 300kHz on their website, which is not uncommon for good designs, but at the same time, not unique either (e.g. Pass, d'Agostino et al claim the same), nor even close to Spectrals' bandwidth; and since bandwidth and peak voltage output relate to slew rate, I am curious about that "faster slew rate" statement (and with 1/4 the Spectral bandwidth, peak voltage would have to be 4x and with no distortions, which would be out of this world and too good to be true) and what settling times are. BTW, for a fairly down to earth explanation of slew rate and the equal importance of fast settling times see https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/amplifier-slew-rate

Last edited:

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
I am curious about your statement on "faster slew rate", and can't find any real slew rate specs on these amps, nor settling times; do you have any concrete info? I saw bandwidth out to 300kHz on their website, which is not uncommon for good designs, but at the same time, not unique either (e.g. Pass, d'Agostino et al claim the same), nor even close to Spectrals' bandwidth; and since bandwidth and peak voltage output relate to slew rate, I am curious about that "faster slew rate" statement (and with 1/4 the Spectral bandwidth, peak voltage would have to be 4x, which would be out of this world and too good to be true) and what settling times are. BTW, for a fairly down to earth explanation of slew rate and the equal importance of fast settling times see https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/amplifier-slew-rate

Thanks for your response. I stand corrected. I did not mean to imply that Audionet is faster than Spectral. From my own experiences I found the sound characters of each amp to be very similar.

I just simply wanted to make a suggestion to the OP on another possible amp choice. I would be very curious to hear his feedback on what he ends up going with to replace his tube integrated.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
OK you probably meant faster slew rate than his tube amp, which is true for such wide bandwidth designs. It's really the settling times that are of more interest to me, and a good indicator of ringing behavior.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
OK you probably meant faster slew rate than his tube amp, which is true for such wide bandwidth designs. It's really the settling times that are of more interest to me, and a good indicator of ringing behavior.

Yes, that's correct. I just meant that I found both brands to be similar in sound character. Both are high bandwidth designs.

Both designs are intriguing to me as a Pass Labs user. I love the sound of Pass but, I'll say that when I heard Spectral and Audionet these designs sound more like Live music than other amps I've heard. Although I don't really understand the MIT requirement for Spectral but, I like the fact that they are made in the United States.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yes, that's correct. I just meant that I found both brands to be similar in sound character. Both are high bandwidth designs.

Both designs are intriguing to me as a Pass Labs user. I love the sound of Pass but, I'll say that when I heard Spectral and Audionet these designs sound more like Live music than other amps I've heard. Although I don't really understand the MIT requirement for Spectral but, I like the fact that they are made in the United States.

Yes, Spectral sound more real (and clean and neutral) than Pass to me as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing