Speaker cables with CR1s?

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Thanks guys. The speaker cables are really great. Eli - the cables have seen two previous owners over a number of years so I assume they have been fully run in. I haven't really noticed a change in sound after they had settled into the system... they are continuing to impress as I flip through different music in my library.

I had been looking into a pair of royal sig interconnects concurrent to the speaker cable search, when I realized what the speaker cables did to my system I knew the interconnects had to become a reality. At this same time the seller I was in contact with had offered a lowered price making them a bargain too good to pass up. Not a difficult decision then, Friday night I added a pair or Royal Signature Snow Lake G5 SATT 1m XLR interconnects to the system... no messing around here :p. These cables were a pair used by the distributor for dealer demo's so they had seen almost no use and are not at all broken in yet. These cables have been somewhat evolving over the weekend as I have left the system on 24/7. Two system changes within 4 days so it's hard to single out what is happening. The IC's replaced a pair of Chord Chorus XLR's which are a heavy gauge copper design. The cable was an improvement off the bat, I was getting increased resolution and clarity however found instruments and sounds in the midrange and above to be somewhat over-defined, not sure how to describe it. As the cable has been evolving it has started to 'smooth out' in this regard and is heading in the right direction which to my ears is converging to a more accurate sound. From a quick google search and in talking with the distributor this is how the cables are said to evolve over the first 300 or so hours. In the meantime I will leave my DAC playing at full volume 24/7 with the power amp switched off, I understand this is driving voltage and current through the cable even though the power amp in switched off.

I'll check back in a few weeks time after the system has settled down to its final position.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
after around 96 hours of continual play the interconnects seem to have settled down and any form of exaggerated definition described earlier is no more...

the combination of speed and warmth in this line of cables is breathtaking!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Great news Joost. You have me wondering what to do .....

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
after around 96 hours of continual play the interconnects seem to have settled down and any form of exaggerated definition described earlier is no more...

the combination of speed and warmth in this line of cables is breathtaking!

congrats!

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
How is the bass?

The bass is probably the most instantly recognizable improvement as compared to the Nordost's, it is many times more full and extended yet remains quick and detailed. It almost makes me want to take room measurements of the Nordost cables vs. Siltech, I would be surprised if the difference would not be picked up at the room response level.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Fantastic. It will take me a while to find a good deal out there, but I will be looking.

Fro what you say, I think you will be surprised if you try the G7 signature series. Your speaker are very resolving and high end and should be the kind of boxes that benefits from such upgrades at the end of the chain.

But just guessing you know. I have no experience at all with this brand

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
This are not the typical cables you think suit well the TADs, no? Well, if you look at the playback, he has a tubes CD player.

IN my opinion some tubes n the chain are a perfect mach to the TADs. I have it in the pre amp and works fantastic.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
So what do you think? Too much detail possibly?

I am of the opinion that you cannot have too much detail, if the detail is not unnaturally over-emphasized (= fatiguing). The more detail the more realistic and immersed you will get in the musical event. He mentions TAD + this WW cable resulted in "a remarkable display of resolution and transparency" and that this gave impressive results... this is what I have come to conclude also and why I think my Siltech's are such a good match as they are hugely resolving but without over-emphasis. IMO this holds true for both well recorded music and extracting the best out of poorly recorded material (with sins of omission and commission).

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
No I do not either. Just assuming if they are pure silver they would tend to be very detailed, fast and all that vs. to the warmer side of things. But just guessing. I think if all in your chain tends to be to the detailed side of things, cables should not be ones that accentuate that even more. BUt again, I am just guessing.

reading back what i posted I should have said: you would think as a general statement. DId not mean you personally.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Ok, so I went ahead and purchased a pair of used siltech emperor II SC. I got what I think is a very good deal so should be able to sell with no loss or little if I dont like them enough. Will report.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Anyone knows at which mail address yo can contact SIltech people? I've sent 2 mails a week ago and another one few days back to the ones in their web page but got no reply at all from them. Strange and not the best customer service... I am a bit surprised.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Ok, so I have been with the Emperor II SC for a couple of weeks or so. Have not been able to do much listening but I do have some first impressions already.

I was very curious to know how such an insane priced SC may sound like. Well I have to say they are the best I have ever listened to. For what I was reading on the brand, I was expecting a warm in nature kind of cable. Not much so. They are just neutral to my ears. Is a difficult to classify cable: it has characteristics of both the fast, detailed, airy and analytical kind of cables and the warm, rich, musical ones. They are very fast and dynamic and detailed, while musical and rich in texture. If they sound more to the analytical side or to the warm side really depends on the recording. I guess as it should be. In any of the cases is a joy to listen to.

It meets all the topics you can think of, when talking of cables: Soundstage is wider and deeper than any I've heard before. Imaging while excellent all over, in some recording is just amazing. Very controlled bass, deep when need to be and articulated always. Holographic... But what so far I find nicer is how detailed it is in the sense of capturing inner detail of instruments, performers or ambience per instance, while remaining so musical. And very very dynamic. Lots of fun... but very realistic presentation.

Now comes the value aspect of them.... Well this is very subjective. Retailing at near or bit over 28K USD new.... that is a tough one to shallow. Are they better than my previous almost 8000 USD SC? Sure they are. But at an extra 20K USD, I think it would be a much better investment to buy my old 8K USD and upgrade speakers, amps, whatever with the extra 20K... I can only see this cable as a good investment if you either buy second hand at a good price, or if your system at all of its links is so fine already, you can not possibly imagine how to upgrade anymore and any hardware upgrade would be to change sound characteristics and not so much to move to a superior level. In these cases, yes, I think this cables do make sense.

But again, that was value, and subjective. So only applies to me. What is a fact, in my system and to my ears... is that these SC are not only fantastic, but a big step forward compared to any SC I've heard before and they do improve the system performance and enjoyment factor by no small margin.

Happy to answer questions, and will update when I have made more listening.

Best
Eli

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Eli, congrats on this amazing pair of cables!

It's funny how closely your impressions match my own; they seem to break the notion that you cannot have both speed/detail/resolution at the same time as warmth/richness in a cable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing