Speaker cables with CR1s?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am using the Cardas Clear jumpers in addition to Gary's bi-wire cables. For me, it seems to tone down the high end (which I am sensitive to). In addition to the Transparent Super cables, I've tried some Nola cables, Bluejeans cable (not bad at all), and some no name cables I've had around. I have not done exhaustive tests but I need smooth, fatigue free cables.

Hi Joe, fwiw, i have never personally liked TA Super, but i am an enormous fan of TA Ref...to my ears it is a huge difference. I have had my TA Ref cables which are 10 yrs old...and only recently upgraded 'cashless' to TA Ref XL MM2 for my speaker cables. Still have the older Ref and Ref XL for my ICs.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Joe, fwiw, i have never personally liked TA Super, but i am an enormous fan of TA Ref...to my ears it is a huge difference. I have had my TA Ref cables which are 10 yrs old...and only recently upgraded 'cashless' to TA Ref XL MM2 for my speaker cables. Still have the older Ref and Ref XL for my ICs.

Hi Lloyd,

I did not know any better when I bought them and was too lazy to make the grand experiment :(. At the time, some forum members where/are high on Transparent cables so I went with the highest level I could afford at the time. I bought XLR's and speaker cable. I do have to say that right now, while I do crave new cables, I could live with what I have set up right now cable-wise, but I might be a little embarrassed to share my recipe :)

I'll have to investigate the upgrade process.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd,

I did not know any better when I bought them and was too lazy to make the grand experiment :(. At the time, some forum members where/are high on Transparent cables so I went with the highest level I could afford at the time. I bought XLR's and speaker cable. I do have to say that right now, while I do crave new cables, I could live with what I have set up right now cable-wise, but I might be a little embarrassed to share my recipe :)

I'll have to investigate the upgrade process.

I will also say that TA Ref cables are often available at Audiogon for good prices. For the really high end models which are calibrated to your equipment, some sellers will have it done for you before they sell to you...its free for original owner (i am not sure about transfers/second-hand).

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Hi, anybody has tried TAD reference speakers with gold cables? Either interconnects or speaker cable?

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Pure gold no, but I know Andrew uses Siltech and Crystal cable which are a silver-gold hybrid metallurgy.

What cables are you currently using? I am still on the lookout for a good pair of cables that synergize with the TAD ref speakers (and my fast resolving Burmester amplification). Probably the above two are my top contenders but I have yet to seek out an audition.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Currently I am with synergistic research. Have also Esoteric Mexcell from transport to DAC. Doing tests with different cables. These speakers are very sensitive to anything you cahnge, you know. I find greater differences than ever before when changing cables. It is incredible.

The problem with the ones you mention is their price. To spend that kind of money in cables I should be sure they are better than other alternatives and that would require long auditions at home which is not likely to happen.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Yes the TAD speakers are very revealing of any going-on's upstream which is an attest to their highly resolving nature.

I was targeting secondhand 770i G7 series which are not stratospheric in price. If there are options at a similar or lower price that outperform these I am all ears. I have not started digging into cabling yet but I will start to do this time when some time becomes available shortly. My current Nordost Frey cabling is serving me well although they place ever the slightest emphasis on the treble which is not really bothersome, they are the best I have here at the moment. I will be looking to get a more balanced cable which offers the same resolution, detail and speed as the Nordost's.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I plan on trying Nordost TYR2's in a month or two. They were highly recommended to me.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Cables I have found it is a trade off. More detail, speed goes against musicality and the other way around. But with these speakers the trade off is more evident than ever. Is going to take a while to find the right balance since they show very clearly the differences. I plan to listen to as many as I can but is not going to be easy. The cable company is a good option is you are US based, but been overseas it will cost a fortune to send back and forth...

I am going to try KCI gold interconnects and try to mix them with very fast and detailed silver cables from SR and see.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Any experience anyone with straight wire? Their top of the line models are not crazily priced.

How about audio design?

Problem I see with siltech or crystal is that altough lower models are not that expensive, althoguh still pricy, I am sure when they are choosen for demos at shows, they go with some top model, no? Usually in these brands with mega dollar wires, there is a huge difference between top models and lower models in my experience. how else could they justify a price many ti es that of the lower ones?

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
I am using a similar approach, nordost for speaker wire and Chord for IC which is less forward. Nordost/nordost or burmester silver IC is too much. Let's us know when you get round to auditioning!

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Another way to look at mega dollar wire manufacturers is that their upper model technologies trickle down into lower ranges, specially if they have been around for a long time...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Another way to look at mega dollar wire manufacturers is that their upper model technologies trickle down into lower ranges, specially if they have been around for a long time...

Makes sense. In one case, however, FWIW, i prefer much older (10 years?), second-hand Transp Ref cables to newer Super (the older ones marked "with XL"...which pre-date MM1, let alone MM2).

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Just got a great deal on a pair of Siltech Royal Signature Eskay Creek cables, these are the G6 predecessor to the current Prince G7 wires which sit lowest in the Signature line. I'll let the forum know how they gel with the CR1's (as compared to my current Nordost Frey's) when I get them in a few days.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
I connected the cables last night and WOW. Off the bat I got improved bass and midrange and generally a much fuller sound, making my Nordost's sound thin. After around a hour when my 911 warmed up magic started to happen, I couldn't believe the jump in performance I was getting. They are more resolving than the Nordost's but in a much more neutral way across the spectrum. The high frequency detail, resolution and air is there without forwardness of any kind and they seem more extended (in both directions). They make my Nordost's sound like they accentuate the high's which was giving issues on certain recordings, this is no more. Imaging improved tremendously in all 3 axis and together with the improved tone and timbre (less accentuated but more resolved), I am getting a realism to the sound I have never experienced before. This cable made me realise that my equipment is capable of very high performances - I have heard the TAD CR1 described as a 5-lane highway with everything upstream determining the what is possible from them - my cabling seems to have been a definite bottleneck and the upgrade has really transformed my system. I will be looking to upgrade my interconnect to a Siltech royal sig series also and I can only imagine what this will do to my system.

So in terms of the fit with TAD reference series speakers siltech royal sig is to me a fantastic match primary due to the extreme resolution and the lack any form of accentuation of high frequencies. I expect other cables that have these characteristics will work well also. I definitely would stay clear of Nordost as the boosted treble energy does not fare well on the beryllium tweeter which does not need any 'help' to render detail.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Good to hear. Congrats. I am not surprised with your findings and would have expected the same.

I think TAD needs a cable that is not too detailed or fast itself since the speakers are already excellent there. Silver with some gold seems like a good combination if executed right. I am also keen in trying some Siltech top if I can find a good deal second hand. Also looking with interest Crystal audio which should be similar but I like the idea of extra flexibility.

Will try to sell some extra cables I have I don't use, some of them very high end, and try out some of these if I can find a good deal.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I connected the cables last night and WOW. Off the bat I got improved bass and midrange and generally a much fuller sound, making my Nordost's sound thin. After around a hour when my 911 warmed up magic started to happen, I couldn't believe the jump in performance I was getting. They are more resolving than the Nordost's but in a much more neutral way across the spectrum. The high frequency detail, resolution and air is there without forwardness of any kind and they seem more extended (in both directions). They make my Nordost's sound like they accentuate the high's which was giving issues on certain recordings, this is no more. Imaging improved tremendously in all 3 axis and together with the improved tone and timbre (less accentuated but more resolved), I am getting a realism to the sound I have never experienced before. This cable made me realise that my equipment is capable of very high performances - I have heard the TAD CR1 described as a 5-lane highway with everything upstream determining the what is possible from them - my cabling seems to have been a definite bottleneck and the upgrade has really transformed my system. I will be looking to upgrade my interconnect to a Siltech royal sig series also and I can only imagine what this will do to my system.

So in terms of the fit with TAD reference series speakers siltech royal sig is to me a fantastic match primary due to the extreme resolution and the lack any form of accentuation of high frequencies. I expect other cables that have these characteristics will work well also. I definitely would stay clear of Nordost as the boosted treble energy does not fare well on the beryllium tweeter which does not need any 'help' to render detail.

Congrats! I have heard excellent things about their top tier stuff...enjoy!

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
So Joost, how are the cables evolving?

I am looking trhough the web for good second hand royal signature deals, but not much out there, and the little you find is too expensive. There was a pair of princess xlr 1 meter at gonfor 3,800 usd. Not much of a discount and think they are gone already. Also looking for crystal but even less.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I connected the cables last night and WOW. Off the bat I got improved bass and midrange and generally a much fuller sound, making my Nordost's sound thin. After around a hour when my 911 warmed up magic started to happen, I couldn't believe the jump in performance I was getting. They are more resolving than the Nordost's but in a much more neutral way across the spectrum. The high frequency detail, resolution and air is there without forwardness of any kind and they seem more extended (in both directions). They make my Nordost's sound like they accentuate the high's which was giving issues on certain recordings, this is no more. Imaging improved tremendously in all 3 axis and together with the improved tone and timbre (less accentuated but more resolved), I am getting a realism to the sound I have never experienced before. This cable made me realise that my equipment is capable of very high performances - I have heard the TAD CR1 described as a 5-lane highway with everything upstream determining the what is possible from them - my cabling seems to have been a definite bottleneck and the upgrade has really transformed my system.

Hello, AudioExplorations. It is always nice to hear when folks discover such a wonderful end result to an upgrade. Congratulations!

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing