Speaker cables with CR1s?

murrayp

Mar 1, 2012
Hi,

I'm interested to know what speaker cables members have found to match well with CR1s. TAD have recommended Siltech without being specific on which model but I guess they mean some from the upper stratosphere (Royals?). Unfortunately those cost more or less the same as the speakers. I guess there are nearly as good matches at more mortal levels? Single or bi-wire?

I had a feeling they were being demonstrated with Audioquest cables at RMAF last year but can't be sure.

Looking forward to experience or suggestions.

thanks

murray

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Murray, welcome along! Do you own the CR1's?

Andrew Jones has used Siltech a lot at shows which in his words has given "outstanding sound", I have seen the CR1's demonstrated with Audioquest as you say (not by AJ), and at the latest show (T.H.E. Show at Newport Beach 2012) Andrew chose Straight Wire Cables. Internally within the cabinet is a proprietory cable sourced from a custom cable manufacturer and is not a "name brand" - this is chosen as part of the voicing of the speaker.

He also mentions that with different, non-TAD electronics he likes to experiment with different cables as the performance will be different in the context of a particular system and taste. I think that with a full TAD system, source and amplification, he now mainly goes for Siltech. We will have to pay attention at upcoming shows to see how his choices have evolved.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hi,

TAD have recommended Siltech without being specific on which model but I guess they mean some from the upper stratosphere (Royals?). Unfortunately those cost more or less the same as the speakers. I guess there are nearly as good matches at more mortal levels? Single or bi-wire?

I had a feeling they were being demonstrated with Audioquest cables at RMAF last year but can't be sure.

Looking forward to experience or suggestions.

thanks

murray

You can't go wrong with Siltech. The Classic Anniversay series 770i is close to the Prince, King in the Royal signature line. They use the same G7 alloy. I too am looking to upgrade my speaker wire for my Wilson Alexandria's. I have been leaning toward Siltech Royal Signature "Prince" which is in the $9K range for 2 meters. Siltech are very smooth up top, extended in the bass region and very musical. They are a neutral sounding cable IMO. Nordost Valhalla or Odin are my other considerations. I have limited my choice to those two brands.

murrayp

Mar 1, 2012
Thanks guys. I'm down in the Antipodes so there isn't so much chance to try seriously high end gear - so I need to research it to death and cross my fingers ;o)

Yes I have CR1s. I'm driving them with a Devialet D-Premier / Stello U3 after downsizing from a dCS Paganini / Burmester 911 system - all the cables needed with that set up just got on top of me in the end. I doubt I ever got the best from the previous kit, but the Devialet does remarkably well - quite a lot better I feel than this site has reported to date. Having said that the amplifier has not been turned off for about six months and I think that that and just plain use, helps. The CR1s when I first got them were nearly unbearably bright on this set up. I (and my audio friends) think they have changed a great deal - they are now very smooth, yet dynamic and extended at both ends. Sounding close to as good as I recall them at RMAF last year I think.

I'll keep an eye out for Siltech cables. Do they ever come up on Agon or similar sites? My experience with cables is that if you can purchase them around half list, you may not have so much downside if they don't work out. Same for most gear actually!

BTW I also have a pair of Everests here just to keep my listening balanced ;o)

tks

Murray

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Welcome Murray,

I am glad you are enjoying your CR-1's and Devialet. They are awesome speakers. Almost too good :)

Joe

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks guys. Do they ever come up on Agon or similar sites? My experience with cables is that if you can purchase them around half list, you may not have so much downside if they don't work out. Same for most gear actually!

BTW I also have a pair of Everests here just to keep my listening balanced ;o)

tks

Murray

Yes they do. Even the G5 LS-188 or LS-110 (My current cable) older series sound great and can be a real bargin. I wouldn't worry about a Classic or Royal Signature series not working out with your system sound wise.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Wow the Siltech product range is very confusing. The models for sale on the 2ndhand market do not really match up with what is currently on their website.

Any idea what the various acronyms mean?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Classic Anniversary & Royal "G7 Alloy" are current models. G6 & G5 are older models, but the Classic and Royal lines still existed back then.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Yes I have CR1s. I'm driving them with a Devialet D-Premier / Stello U3 after downsizing from a dCS Paganini / Burmester 911 system - all the cables needed with that set up just got on top of me in the end.

Murray, what cables did you try with the CR1/911mk3 combo? Which did you find to work the best?

I personally am running Nordost Frey speaker and interconnect cables. I find them to be very resolving compared to some other speaker cables I have tried including the Kimber 8TC and Chord Chorus. I have a Burmester silver XLR interconnect but I find this a bit too forward with the CR1's (as others have mentioned with silver cabling in context of a TAD system).

I have been speaking with a TAD dealer who mentioned that Nordost and TAD don't really mix especially well. He specifically mentioned that Valhalla and Odin thinned out the sound and gave a more 'etched' edge making it less listenable over longer sessions, and that Tyr produced a more rounded and natural sound but offered far less resolution.

Given I have not done much testing with various cables I feel I might be able to improve the sound with more suitable cabling. What I am looking for in cables is high resolution and transparency. I may need to look into Siltech as in the future I will be more inclined to move to a full TAD setup however Rockitman mentioned they are smooth up top which sounds like it looses detail and resolution?

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Joe, thanks. They look good but they are pricey. What other cables have you tried with the CR1's? I seem to remember you had Cardas Clear also or was this just the jumper cables?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I am using the Cardas Clear jumpers in addition to Gary's bi-wire cables. For me, it seems to tone down the high end (which I am sensitive to). In addition to the Transparent Super cables, I've tried some Nola cables, Bluejeans cable (not bad at all), and some no name cables I've had around. I have not done exhaustive tests but I need smooth, fatigue free cables.

murrayp

Mar 1, 2012
Murray, what cables did you try with the CR1/911mk3 combo? Which did you find to work the best?

Hi,

Well - that is part of my problem down here in New Zealand - access to good cables is a very expensive and hit and miss affair. Basically though, I found the character of the 911 and Devialet very similar, so cables sounded similar on each. Yes I too have struggled forwardness of the CR-1s. On the one hand the clarity and detail is amazing, but on the other richness and warmth can be elusive with at least some amplifiers. I found this with both 911 and Devialet - but either the speakers are taming a bit after 6 months or my ears are getting used to them - they seem much less hard now than when they first arrived. It is still an interestign comparison to the Everests ..... both very good but quite different ......I'd probably enjoy either more if I wasn't aware what the other offers :)

I have Ridge Street Alethias bi-wire cables - they use largish rectangular silver conductors. The upper and lower conductors are different thicknesses and to my opinion that almost acts as a secondary cross-over - splitting the sound too much. However run in parallel they are the best cables I've tried here. But they are not forgiving and I'd say we're talking amplifier/cable/speaker all having the same uncompromising character. I've tried Kubala Sosna Expression cables here - they added warmth but seemed to do it at the penalty of the life that the speakers do so well - no prize. Recently I tried some Crystal-Speak Standard cables - these were closer to the Ridge Street cables but I thought were a step back relatively. I also tried some hefty Litz copper cables - lovely and warm but a very coppery sound - boring after a while. So I'm still using the RS cables - I guess maybe they are a pretty reasonable compromise. Having said that I've been tempted by this review http://www.stereomojo.com/MGAUDIOCABLESREVIEW/MGAUDIOCABLESREVIEW.htm and will try these soon. Pretty big claims - we'll see....

Probably the simple issue is that I may not be dealing in the same strata of cables as the rest of the gear, but outside of in-home trials I don't see it reasonable to take $10k punts on cables with resale of not-a-lot :)

Anyway there is no doubt the cables can break these speakers so it's essential to find ones that suit.

BTW long ago I used to have (quite a few amps really) a Plinius SA250/4 - I suspect that would be a better match with the TADs than the 911 or Devialet - just a bit more focused on the mids.

Look forward to hearing other's expereince.

Murray

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Murray,

Thanks for the perspective. You are the 3rd person I have heard say the CR1's transform quite dramatically after a run-in of around 4-6 months. It would be wise to delay cable and even amp purchasing decisions until after this period when the speakers have really settled in. I am still not there yet with my CR1's :).

I like to try out cables through the secondhand market where you can quite easily sell for little to no loss and keep them for as long as you need to make a decision. In-home listening is really the only way to understand synergy.

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
Try the audience AU24e i believe that cables should do nothing to the audio but act just to pass the signal as clean as possible and not act as tone controls and moreover the audience aint as expensive as other cables

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Try the audience AU24e i believe that cables should do nothing to the audio but act just to pass the signal as clean as possible and not act as tone controls and moreover the audience aint as expensive as other cables

Nice suggestion Jas. I too believe that it is the job of a cable to take as little as possible away from the signal and this is exactly what I am looking for (highest level of transparency).

Trying to modify the sonic signature of a system through cables that add coloration/EQ is as detrimental as doing so with a preamp, you are not addressing the root cause of the issue.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
You can't go wrong with Siltech. The Classic Anniversay series 770i is close to the Prince, King in the Royal signature line. They use the same G7 alloy. I too am looking to upgrade my speaker wire for my Wilson Alexandria's. I have been leaning toward Siltech Royal Signature "Prince" which is in the $9K range for 2 meters. Siltech are very smooth up top, extended in the bass region and very musical. They are a neutral sounding cable IMO. Nordost Valhalla or Odin are my other considerations. I have limited my choice to those two brands.

Christian, I see that you own the 770i along with a number of various Nordost cables. How would you describe the differences in the house sounds of these two manufacturers? I am considering switching from Nordost Frey to Siltech 770 speaker and interconnect, what can I expect? A bit more body and smoothness in the high frequencies? Thanks

George K

Jul 26, 2012
Audioexplorations
I had many Siltech and Nordost in the past. And found the golden rule in Jorma Design cables.
Prime series are remarkable and Origo is the edge of audio cables for me. The more affordable Unity line is awesome.

After reading your needs I think Jorma Origo series is the best you can buy.

Another alternative is Stealth Indra v10 with Dream v10 combo.

From current Siltech series you have to buy very expensive series to surpass my suggestions.

There are also some "Chinese" Siltechs in cheap
http://www.google.gr/#sclient=tablet-gws&hl=el&tbo=d&q=audiocrast+siltech&oq=audiocrast+siltech&gs_l=tablet-gws.3...2987.8583.0.9661.18.15.0.3.0.0.649.3011.0j11j2j0j1j1.15.0...0.0...1ac.VN_rJ3sMWAQ&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=358f7025147f14b5&biw=768&bih=928

Bud do not know the performance and I really doubt it....

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Thanks a lot for the suggestions George, interesting cables I had never heard of, I will look them up and add them to the shortlist. Think I will stay clear of the Chinese Siltech's ;). I am also looking into Crystal Cable, Andrew has also used these at recent shows and they use the same metallurgies as Siltech but are said to me more Nordost like in their quickness and transparency.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
My last Nordost Valhalla IC arrives today. It is the final link to be all Valhalla from tonearm to speakers. I will be replacing my 770i currently in place between preamp and power amps. Differences ? I feel Nordost might be a hair faster and the treble is a bit more extended. I think perception of instrument/voice space is better with Nordost. Which one will be better will depend on your system tonal balance. If it is a bit darker or leans neutral, I feel Nordost is a better match. The other way around...more bright, siltech. Hope that helps.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing