Social Media and High End Audio

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
OCD and DDK on the surface don't seem much different. Different nitch for sure. But a basket full of (insert adjective) out of both.
Whats DDK ?

• Haha
Reactions: PeterA

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
Jesh, I just watched Jays audio. It cost $45k for some exhibitors to put on a display at axpona. That's crazy. No wonder Elliot gets hot when people pick at his stuff. Thats real money.
No wonder everyone has $150K speakers this year... and I was told $30K ...and Im not going to stop giving my opinion. Elliot got all bent out of whack when a video response from a viewer said that WADAX looked like a Boom Box.. I made a joke and said it looked more like a Dinosaur coughed up a Hairball... Thats called comedy... After listening, I changed the comment to say the sound outweighs the look... Ridiculous that my joke about the look of something Elliot didnt design made the guy come unhinged. WADAX is begging to have fun made of its looks.. SO EFFING WHAT ?? Same with Vivid Audio and many other products.. Has NOTHING to do with SOUND... We need thicker skin here folks... If the product has integrity, no manner of jokes toward it matter at all.. and it was a reply to a comment on a video... Not me making a video about its looks... Pump the brakes for chrissakes...

Reactions: adyc

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Sometimes it’d be nice if the soap opera just turned down a notch.

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Jesh, I just watched Jays audio. It cost $45k for some exhibitors to put on a display at axpona. That's crazy. No wonder Elliot gets hot when people pick at his stuff. Thats real money.
A lot of times the Manufactures help pay for the room and the cost by the one who sponsors the room may not be as much as you think.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
A lot of times the Manufactures help pay for the room and the cost by the one who sponsors the room may not be as much as you think.
FYI Bending Wave paid the whole thing, this has been the case for quite a while. Many are questioning the financial value of shows as there are certainly a lot of them and are they serving a purpose for all involved. We decided to pass on PAF this year and I am not sure about others. We need to evaluate the cost versus the return on the money spent and what might the best way to spend our marketing dollars.
I believe there will be 7 shows next year in the US, too many IMO

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
FYI Bending Wave paid the whole thing, this has been the case for quite a while. Many are questioning the financial value of shows as there are certainly a lot of them and are they serving a purpose for all involved. We decided to pass on PAF this year and I am not sure about others. We need to evaluate the cost versus the return on the money spent and what might the best way to spend our marketing dollars.
I believe there will be 7 shows next year in the US, too many IMO
Axpona seems to be the one “big” show, RMAF used to be the other. In my opinion, maybe one east coast show, one west coast. It would help focus the marketing budget to a degree.

Lets not forget, too, what Jay didn’t mention in his video, the time spent packing and unpacking all the gear, the hassle of dealing with damages to equipment from freight companies, etc. There are lots of hidden costs and time sinks associated. One show in the spring, one in the fall would be great.

Trade shows, ugh! I have enjoyed my time actually being in-room playing music for people — that part is pretty fun. Not much tongue wagging needed, just queue up another song. Gauging what music connects with visitors the hard part — I apologize to the classical lovers but do try to have a few great cuts in the playlist. PLEASE don’t ask me to play harpsichord music, I might feign a system malfunction. ;)

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
after meeting Elliot and hearing the room now 2 times it’s a sound unlike other digital period.
to add if mike L bought it after owning an MSB sel 2
It’s moving the bar just saying.
I hope WADax is at capital this year i very much look forward to more listening.
regarding looks I think it’s like it’s sound nothing else like it. Looks amazing to me.
I did not ask Elliot how much it cost him to be there
The trouble he went through and his face was enough to not ask.
many digital rooms there but little to me were musical
To me while there were a good amount of analog
I think analog rooms did better then digital rooms
my view is while tape is king few titles to be had at master sound level
Much more vinyl and you don’t need to spend as much as great Digital but great digital makes
You feel vinyl is not so important
Media is way to off what’s important to me
I can’t watch jay stuff.
ocd guy is ok but gets over the top fast but
He does own great stuff
I do like interviews and I think Ron’s are tops
very well done and I love how he gets real answers
I can’t say others ask the right questions

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Wow Elliot I’m sorry you had to pay for the whole show. I think one show like Axpona would be enough. The other shows would go by the way side if dealers and manufactures didn’t support them.

Reactions: Elliot G.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Wow Elliot I’m sorry you had to pay for the whole show. I think one show like Axpona would be enough. The other shows would go by the way side if dealers and manufactures didn’t support them.
Dont be sorry this is what we do it is just whether the effort is worth the results and to do 6 or 7 the answer with our stuff is for sure no.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Yes don’t get insulted your wadax stuff looks so good alone
LOL Im not insulted. I guess I could get a table by the elevator with the gear on it but I dont think thats what an audio show is about.
I think this is another subject and a conversation over an adult beverage in a nice restaurant :)

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com

I did three shows last year, costing me over $20,000 for standard issue rooms. Keep in mind I attend these shows solo so expenses are as low as I can get them. I live in the Dallas area and drove to Seattle, Chicago, and Washington DC to do those events. That is just PART of the expense involved with creating a market for your products, and my numbers should be considered on the low end as Elliot pointed out.

Clients tend to believe that dealers and distributors are making huge profits, but the reality is quite the opposite. Most dealers I know either have a secondary income channel or retired/switched career paths with a very comfortable financial portfolio. On that note, I am quite proud to be where I am. AudioThesis was founded shortly after I graduated college, survived great tragedy when my first wife passed away at age 31, and has come out the other side fully funded on its own with a good name behind it.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I did three shows last year, costing me over $20,000 for standard issue rooms. Keep in mind I attend these shows solo so expenses are as low as I can get them. I live in the Dallas area and drove to Seattle, Chicago, and Washington DC to do those events. That is just PART of the expense involved with creating a market for your products, and my numbers should be considered on the low end as Elliot pointed out.

Clients tend to believe that dealers and distributors are making huge profits, but the reality is quite the opposite. Most dealers I know either have a secondary income channel or retired/switched career paths with a very comfortable financial portfolio. On that note, I am quite proud to be where I am. AudioThesis was founded shortly after I graduated college, survived great tragedy when my first wife passed away at age 31, and has come out the other side fully funded on its own with a good name behind it.
Well said. I dont have any of those things but have managed to survive for 50 years doing for the most part what I love. DSkip you should be proud there are far to many that have come into the Industry without experience and without any training that have become "instant" experts becasue they were able to write a few checks. It takes more than that to know how and what to do in order to produce great results. Congrats!

Reactions: Alrainbow

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
a

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I have grown to dislike the term industry expert because it reminds me of a cartoon( road runner) lol.
a title is important but the merits of earning it are not many times not earned.
this is a matter of fact in many industries

Reactions: Argonaut

caesar

May 30, 2010
Well first off Im not interested in making a video at Mikes. This is not some ploy to use the session to springboard my own sales. I want to see what WADAX has to offer at $165K and Im sure its sorted well in Mikes rig. WADAX was Impossible to judge from the show... but my first listen was intriguing.
There must be an element of value for me to sell any given product to my clients and Im trying to assess that with WADAX.

Sir,
Are you going to haul your dac to his place and he can haul his wadax to yours so you guys can properly calibrate you tastes and preferences? otherwise , it will be like typical audiophile platonic intellectual masturbation and more arguments

caesar

May 30, 2010

Hi Kingrex,
Thanks for sharing that... that is real value add!!! I am glad some one has time to watch these frequently rambling youtube videos. Thanks for summarizing! ...

And thank GOD roy gregory doesn't make videos ... can you imagine that guy rambling for hours and hours? :)

if roy compared gear more, he would be a real rock star, and separate himself from other propagandists and misinformation/ disinformation artists in the audio press, instead of coming across as a very very, very early version of chatbot gpt ... just teasing !!!!!

kidding aside, not only is the gear pricing insane , so seems to be the show pricing now....

break even is STEEP ... at that rate, one needs sell a couple of very expensive systems to make that $$$$$$ back...

Yet another very aspect of this , is that sound at shows is so friggin poor!!!

yes, shows are fun. but not for good sound. the "converted" and fans of the brands may pick up bits and pieces of a sound they already like. but how are these newer brands going to get new customers if their sound is just so mediocre and they are unable to differentiate themselves? if a someone walks into a room and they are not blown away or impressed, these exhibitors have no chance... the safe purchasing decision is the established brand, further enhacing the band wagon effects...

so a lot of money wasted

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing